THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:20 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Red face OK, now it's a wood chipper

This being retired sucks. When the woman goes to work in the morning, I've got a honeydo list as long as my arm.

So, "now that I have some time on my hands," we're (meaning I) am landscaping the back yard. I got a ton of crap behind a retaining wall and I've got enough leaves, branches, etc. for a year of garbage collection, so I'm thinking of getting a wood chipper.

Looking at Troy-Bilt ones at Lowe's. Anybody have experience, good or bad? Advice?

Thanks.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 06-23-2014, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Really ?

Old 06-23-2014, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't have any personal experience with the hardware store variety... Just that everyone I know that has owned or used one said that the size limitations make them impractical for someone that lives in a heavily wooded area like mine. You just about have to go around searching for branches that are small enough... Like thumb sized. Most of the branches I want to chip were at least 3"... So, I just drag 'em into the woods.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to p4msi1

Just rent one. If you do buy one, you will use it a few time and finish the work then it will setup for a few years then need repairs. Ask me how I know...

Old 06-23-2014, 08:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been retired 20 years & 23 days. It doesn't suck.
And the wife still goes to work.
Retrain her.

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 06-23-2014, 08:33 PM
Senior Chief

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by p4msi1 View Post
Just rent one. If you do buy one, you will use it a few time and finish the work then it will setup for a few years then need repairs. Ask me how I know...
Hmmm. $61 per day for a small one. That could work. But I'd have to lasso one of my buddies with a truck...

Or buy a truck!

Isn't this how projects get out of hand?

Thanks.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:33 PM
Senior Chief

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat Racer View Post
I've been retired 20 years & 23 days. It doesn't suck.
And the wife still goes to work.
Retrain her.
Truth be told, I'm getting a little bored. And one as good as this one would be hard to find.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pave the yard.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:13 PM
Senior Chief

Bob, too bad your not closer I refurbished a 6" Morbark with a 24 hp Onan this winter and it works like a charm. Took it in on a gravel deal. We put pine limbs the size of your arm into it and it never came of the governor. Ed

Old 06-23-2014, 09:27 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS circutguy View Post

Really ?
Good God, Steve. Will ya just stop trolling here? Okie-Dokie?

Old 06-23-2014, 09:28 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
Pave the yard.
Hush your mouth. She might want pavers instead of grass as we're having a big drought now.

I hate pavers. I ought to disconnect that goddamned Home & Garden Channel.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

wood chipper+wife=no honey do list......just sayin'....i aint tellin' ya what to do..im just bouncing ideas off the wall..thats all

(im kidding..i dont condone violence or homicide...i just really sounds funny in my head)

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 06-23-2014, 09:55 PM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
wood chipper+wife=no honey do list......just sayin'....i aint tellin' ya what to do..im just bouncing ideas off the wall..thats all

(im kidding..i dont condone violence or homicide...i just really sounds funny in my head)
I loved Fargo too.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Up here in Orygun, we just pile um up and burn that chit! Guess you can't do that in Kalifornia, huh?

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I own an original Troy Bilt chipper that's probably 25 years old. It still is running and easily chips 3" and smaller branches. It does sit sometimes, but drain the gas and run the carb dry and it will run again with fresh fuel.

The original Troy Bilt company folded. I have an original tiller manufactured back then too. Sadly parts are getting tough to find.

Fast forward to modern times. The "new" Troy Bilt brand is actually manufactured by Murray. Thin metal, small capacities and other easily broken parts. The bought the Troy Bilt name and are taking advantage of the name. They might be fine for shredding leaves, but you can do that with your lawn mower.

If you are seriously considering buying a chipper, rent one that is the same brand you are considering. If that model is not rented, then you need to look for some of these qualities in the chipper.

1. Thick metal, especially around the grinding chamber. A strong and easily sharpenable chipper blade.

2. Honda engine or Briggs and Stratton I/C quality engine. Mine has an 8 HP Briggs engine and it is the smallest HP engine I'd consider.

3. Portability. Be sure the axle the wheels are on is strong enough to drag the machine across rough ground without bending. Should have Pneumatic tires.

4. Check where the exhaust comes out. I've seen units where it blows towards where you stand while chipping.

5. The shaft that supports the rotating chipping drum. Should have sealed ball bearings and not sleeve bearings. The sleeve bearings invite trouble.

You probably can't buy anything new with these features for under $1,000. Check Tractor Supply company. They often have better constructed units than the other big box stores. The China import stuff makes for great boat anchors and door stops.....

When my old Troy Bilt chipper finally dies, it will be replaced with a DR brand chipper.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Look on CL. Might find one for a fraction of the price of a new one.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:33 PM
Senior Chief

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
Look on CL. Might find one for a fraction of the price of a new one.
Well, this one's close, and it seems cheap for what it is, but it's a tad bigger than I had in mind.

In San Juan Bautista, Promark Model 210 16hp I/C Briggs & Stratton with elc start $750

Old 06-23-2014, 11:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would check to see if there is a guy locally who will chip the stuff for you. I used to live on a two acre lot and I would just call up a local guy a couple of times a year, he would come and chip it at my property and I used the chips for mulch. It beats buying a chipper or renting one.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Use at your own discretion. Might be a felony there...

Old 06-24-2014, 07:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Get the one they used in the movie Fargo, that way if the honey do list ever gets overwhelming, well you can figure out the rest.