Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-20-2017, 01:38 PM
Boost Engineer

Richie, my friend, at the end of the day, most people will admit that the wait was worth it IF the work was done right the first time.

The customer is his own worst enemy in that respect.

Have a great 2017 Business and Personal Year. Always enjoyed talking to you at Norwalk over the years.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Richie, my friend, at the end of the day, most people will admit that the wait was worth it IF the work was done right the first time.

The customer is his own worst enemy in that respect.

Have a great 2017 Business and Personal Year. Always enjoyed talking to you at Norwalk over the years.

Tom V.
Well said, Mr. Vaught...

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-20-2017, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think Eric mentioned in another IA II thread, the secret to success is planning way ahead. I know that's not always possible but think of it this way. I would be pretty cautious and nervous if the machine shop I was taking my new Pontiac race block to had no wait and was ready to work on it the next day. Good shops are really busy. Lousy ones are not. The little shop I work with is busier this year than at any time in the last 6-8 years. Anyone bringing a block in today will have to wait 6-8 weeks to have it looked at. When it's done, it will be as good as any shop in the country.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:27 PM
Boost Engineer

A "Little Shop" does not necessarily mean a "Low Quality" shop.
You have posted in the past that they do very good work but being small with a few people that means the customer (as you posted) has to plan ahead.

Another thing I have found, from working with smaller shops, (not Jack Roush who used to have 35+ buildings and 35+ Building Managers which isn't necessarily a bad thing) is the guy who actually runs the shop better have all of his knowledge align with the people he has under him. If the Shop Manager is just a "get it off the floor and money brought in each month" guy vs doing a "Super High Quality Job" Guy you will still have issues with the Pontiac build.

It sounds, Mike, like your shop has both: The knowledge and the right leadership.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hope I didn't come across as having a go at Bob & Frank at IA, the fact that we have an aftermarket block at all is down to blokes like these who put their money where their mouth is,and do it for very little in return other than to further the Pontiac hobby. I know the product is a top quality piece, just think that every expensive item like a block should be thoroughly checked top to bottom before it leaves the door, whether it's an IA or Dart.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:00 PM

Default Motor

So true on some of these comments. Well I have to say that their was a waiting period. Took me forever to get this block back. When I showed up the first time I told him "take your time, I want this done right and don't want to come back" see the attitude there is who the f cares you are only gonna drive it in the weekends. I didn't understand what they meant by that until know. Most people drive their cars on the weekends here, so a poorly built motor will start to show sign of problems after 500 miles. Which in reality no one does that here in a year. Assuming...... I built my first engine when I was 17 I did all the machine work. Followed the specs. I tore down the engine last August just to see what it looked like inside. Amazed to find that everything was still with in specs. Didn't change anything just gaskets. I was surprised my ring where good and my bore was still good. Been using valvoline vr1. Its been 15 years now and I use my car 3 times out of the week. I ride it like I stole it....

Old 01-25-2017, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Pure High Performance With A Profound History Of Excellence. Evans Speed Equipment is a high performance speed shop established in 1946 by Earl Evans. When Evans passed away, his widow sold the business to Gene Ohly, who sold it to the current owner and operator Jaime "Jimmy" Gonzalez."

Also known as "Precision Engine Development" according to Ken Crocie. This is Ken's favorite machine shop, and Jaime has been the one doing the machine work for years.

It's about twice as far from me as my favorite shop which is Dougans in Riverside. We did use Evans for a line bore not too long ago since Dougans only does the line hone, and Evans did an excellent job.

Dougans did a great job on the machine work on my IA II aluminum block, and also the dozens of normal Pontiac blocks I've taken them. I believe that they currently have contracts with 32 race teams building engines, and being that busy makes the turn-around time about 4 weeks right now.

I would use either of these shops to find and correct other shop's previous mistakes.