OHC-6 TECH Over Head Cam projects, questions and advice.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:33 AM
Senior Chief

Default Poor Cammers

I can't tell which is worse: Letting a cammer go like the first one or putting a chevy motor in like the second one.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/4948500500.html

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/4949442338.html

1995 Formula Firehawk #592

Old 03-26-2015, 10:08 AM

I bought my 69' Firebird 1995 assuming it had the OHC based on the emblems(Hood, Rocker Panels), I never seen a OHC before, but it had a chev 6 in it, in 1998 the power steering pump went out it was like 160.00 for the pump it sat until 2010, price for the went down to 60.00, did a tune up, drove it 4 times over that summer blew the head gasket, sat for other 2 years, then started looking for a OHC. Without these forums I don't know where I be getting info on these OHC. Honest people here. Compared where I live, most are rip off artists. Not counting a Parts broker in NY. I just want to say thanks everyone for the Helpful info you put on these forums.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:43 PM
Senior Chief

Wow! A "GTO" with a cammer motor. That one is really rare!

Old 03-26-2015, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grokk View Post
I bought my 69' Firebird 1995 assuming it had the OHC based on the emblems(Hood, Rocker Panels), I never seen a OHC before, but it had a chev 6 in it, in 1998 the power steering pump went out it was like 160.00 for the pump it sat until 2010, price for the went down to 60.00, did a tune up, drove it 4 times over that summer blew the head gasket, sat for other 2 years, then started looking for a OHC. Without these forums I don't know where I be getting info on these OHC. Honest people here. Compared where I live, most are rip off artists. Not counting a Parts broker in NY. I just want to say thanks everyone for the Helpful info you put on these forums.
Haven't been following your search but did you ever find a OHC motor for your car? If you want some help let me know and we'll get you hooked up.

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 03-26-2015, 04:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdguy View Post
Wow! A "GTO" with a cammer motor. That one is really rare!
It's a 4 door GTO. Even more rare!

Old 03-26-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD1969 View Post
Haven't been following your search but did you ever find a OHC motor for your car? If you want some help let me know and we'll get you hooked up.
I found one out of a 68' Firebird 1BBL back in August 2013 for 800.00 no power steering and alternator bracket, I didn't realize subframe brackets and motor mounts, bell housing were dif Then Chev, I thought GM, well I learned that here that they are not. Had my motor shipped to a local auto shop, while looked for the parts I needed. Feb 2014 finally got the parts together. Told the mechanic to check the motor before putting it in, because I was told by the guy I got it from just put it in and should start up. well the Mechanic didn't do it, and finding out he left my motor out all winter, calls me and said he had it running but theres rust in the cylinder need to rebuild the motor I was pissed $2000.00 I spent for this A$$hole to remove my old engine and put the OHC in and had to modify the starter to work + other parts. I drove my car in and had to tow it out, I did a compression test 0-75 compression and he said he had it running, I couldn't get it to run. I just took my head in I was quoted 200.00, then I get call probably be double because of the rusted seats and valves. He stopped work on it until I can figure something out. I'm in contact with Sprint OHC 6 He said he has a 230 Head. I haven't heard yet on a price He going to have his head guy do the work. I haven't taken the block out yet don't know what the crank looks like, but the cylinders have no rust and the cylinder no wear they are all smooth. I have the Cam and Cam Followers reground and did find 66" 4BBL manifold dual exhaust. Only thing I'm lacking is the 4BBL air cleaner and throttle cable, I think that's all I got left for parts, and getting short on money, waiting for Union call me for jobs, real slow right now.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grokk View Post
I found one out of a 68' Firebird 1BBL back in August 2013 for 800.00 no power steering and alternator bracket, I didn't realize subframe brackets and motor mounts, bell housing were dif Then Chev, I thought GM, well I learned that here that they are not. Had my motor shipped to a local auto shop, while looked for the parts I needed. Feb 2014 finally got the parts together. Told the mechanic to check the motor before putting it in, because I was told by the guy I got it from just put it in and should start up. well the Mechanic didn't do it, and finding out he left my motor out all winter, calls me and said he had it running but theres rust in the cylinder need to rebuild the motor I was pissed $2000.00 I spent for this A$$hole to remove my old engine and put the OHC in and had to modify the starter to work + other parts. I drove my car in and had to tow it out, I did a compression test 0-75 compression and he said he had it running, I couldn't get it to run. I just took my head in I was quoted 200.00, then I get call probably be double because of the rusted seats and valves. He stopped work on it until I can figure something out. I'm in contact with Sprint OHC 6 He said he has a 230 Head. I haven't heard yet on a price He going to have his head guy do the work. I haven't taken the block out yet don't know what the crank looks like, but the cylinders have no rust and the cylinder no wear they are all smooth. I have the Cam and Cam Followers reground and did find 66" 4BBL manifold dual exhaust. Only thing I'm lacking is the 4BBL air cleaner and throttle cable, I think that's all I got left for parts, and getting short on money, waiting for Union call me for jobs, real slow right now.
WOW! That guy really screwed you over. Have you thought about just starting over with a different motor? There are many parts for sale "right now" that you could put together virtually anything you want. I am working on getting a used 69 Sprint head that I might sell but I do not know the condition of it yet.

Send me an email letting me know what you are wanting to do with the car/motor and I'll see if I can help you with some of it.

I'll PM you with my email.

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft