Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-06-2018, 04:37 PM

Default Point distributor inspection/rebuild

Who do y'all suggest to inspect/clean/adjust or rebuild a 70 GTO points distributor? Looking to keep it original looking and working as it should. Figured after 48 years it might be time to have it looked at. Thanks, Jimmy

Old 02-06-2018, 05:54 PM
Senior Chief

There is a member on this board, user name, Sun Tuned, who re-built two points distributors for me a few years back. If he is still in the business, I would highly recommend his work. I will attempt to find his card in my "archives"

Muncie 4 speed (orginally an automatic car)
Old 02-06-2018, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftwmlp View Post
There is a member on this board, user name, Sun Tuned, who re-built two points distributors for me a few years back. If he is still in the business, I would highly recommend his work. I will attempt to find his card in my "archives"
You can find members using the Community tab dropdown menu, "member list."

Sun Tuned says he's still in business (as of last August). His phone number is:

901-412-4414

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3
Old 02-06-2018, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used a guy out of MN named Chris Carlson. 218 686 2574. He rebuilt and recurved the original points distributor for my ‘71. He also had it back to me in under ten days. Some guys leave you hanging in that way. He has done a few for other PY members.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Robert is still in business, leave him a voice mail or PM and I'm sure he'll get back to you. Folks who are good at these things will ALWAYS be busy, so expect some turn-around time and maybe just a little difficult to get hold of at times.

I do a lot of factory points and HEI units here, but usually in conjunction with restoring the original factory Q-jet. I don't advertise for the work simply because I have PLENTY of it in other areas.

Aside from the MSD "ready to run" I stay away from anything else currently available especially the "off-shore" HEI's currently being sold for under $100. They have faults in them that are not easily corrected, and very "spotty" quality control....FWIW.

As for your original points distributor, it has served you well for decades because it is an EXCELLENT part. For sure it's time to take it apart and clean things up. I would strip it completely down and check things out, then decide if you need professional assistance to get it where it needs to be.

When I do them here, we zinc plate the rusted metal parts, polish the shaft and related mechanical advance components, and eliminate the factory rubber sleeve on the advance pin and replace it with a stainless steel sleeve. I am NOT fond of upgrading them with a Petronix and much prefer to install a good set of points and condenser.

We also bead blast the housings during the rebuild with ultra-fine glass beads as to not disturb the factory appearance. I've done hundreds of them over the years and very few points distributors will have issues with them that are not too difficult to overcome. Once in a while for whatever reason the upper bushing will be slam worn out, but that's even a rare thing too see.

HEI's don't typically fair as well as point units, and about 50 percent of the HEI's we are getting in here currently will have too much wear at the lower bushing and the shaft will be worn there as well. So we're constantly stripping down used cores to find a good shaft as just replacing the bushing doesn't cut it........Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),