Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 03-28-2007, 08:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Help Me Pick My Exhaust System

462 ci motor. Dynoed @ 530 HP, 570 Ft. Lbs. in my 73 TA. Dougs headers with 3 1/2" collectors. Want to use stock style exhaust tips and dump out back. Was leaning toward the Pypes Crossflow but they say only good for 500 HP. Any ideas? Currently I'm running a Flowmaster crossflow setup that is restrictive. I've had separate mufflers below but low ground clearance. What about using a larger diameter pipe and X from the headers back to the x and reducing after the X to the 2 1/2 pypes crossflow? Do you think this would support more HP? I don't want to limit myself if I make more future mods for more HP in the 550 to 575 range. I want this to be the last system I buy. I know they make 3" crossflow mufflers but how about the rest of the mandrel bent pipe? Any thoughts? Magnaflow lists a crossflow muffler they say will support 700Hp with 2 1/2" in/out. Ccass, Jim Hand any ideas?

Last edited by 73ta; 03-29-2007 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:05 PM
Administrator

When you get up in the 500 hp range, there is much speculation on what is the optimum size exhaust. Some cars will do fine with 2.5" mandrel bent, some would do better with 3". The Pypes Muffler will 'support' 700 hp also....same exact design. However, neither would be optimal at that hp. If your racing, you might miss the 3" in et and top speed times. On the street, you'll never feel the difference with your combination. Your getting excellent flow through the Doug's headers and very good flow with 2.5" mandrel the rest of the way. If you are really concerned, Pypes is releasing a 3" driveshaft tunnel X later this Spring. You could then run 3" through the X to the axle pipes thus creating more volume for your big motor. Beyond that, that same X-pipe will be used on all Pypes 3" 67-81 dual mufflers systems. This will improve ground clearance for all F-body owners requiring 3". It still won't match the ground clearance of the Crossflow system.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chris,
I don't understand the design of the "driveshaft tunnel -X". How is it different from the one I have located just under the forward driveshaft yoke?

Old 04-01-2007, 09:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ditto what Larry is asking?

Can you give us some more details?

Not trying to change this topic but is Pypes gonna come out with a 3" in - 2.5" out X system with tunnel pipes leading into 2.5" dual mufflers?

Old 04-01-2007, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Universal X-pipes cause the rear legs of the X-pipe kit to run under the floor boards for limited clearance especially the mufflers. The driveshaft tunnel X-pipe legs run much closer together up in the tunnel area allowing the mufflers to tuck up higher.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I modified my 3" Universal X-Pypes to fit in the driveshaft tunnel with 2.5" cone reducers into the dual mufflers on my 2nd gen.

It took a lot of fiddling around and in the end I messed up the welding so I'll be scraping that system. Hence the inquiry about the 3"x2.5" universal tunnel system availablity.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I,ve got a 3" Pypes X system Dynomax Race Magnum,s & ground clearnce is a problem at stock ride hight. Sorry I don,t have any solitions either.Good luck Jeff.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW S/D
I,ve got a 3" Pypes X system Dynomax Race Magnum,s & ground clearnce is a problem at stock ride hight. Sorry I don,t have any solitions either.Good luck Jeff.
The solution is the new system that Pypes is working on. I'll update everyone as I get new information.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 68FB is lowered about an inch.
3" Dr Gas-x thru 3" 9x12 Borla muff's that dump behind frt seats.
Being the suspension is super stiff, only have to be carefull of speed bumps, and getting on/off trailer. This was before Pype's.
Next time, i plan on Pype's 3" x-pipe(w/side dump's for the track) into 2.5 inlet/out muff. Should be alot more street friendly(quiet).
I've seen most of thier systems. If you can wait till they get the 3" system out, that's what i would do.
Havent found other systems equal of quality and fit vs $.

No, i'm not afilliated

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 04-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Angry Ccass quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass
The solution is the new system that Pypes is working on. I'll update everyone as I get new information.
Chris, anything you guys do to improve the ground clearnce with 3" X system would be much apreacited. I know I,ll not be the only one replacing a less than 3 year old system in search of a better fit/ground clearnce. BTW I took the car to a local company with a mandrel exhaust tube bender, to cost probitive can make a new system cheaper.
Jeff.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Jeff, You're not mad about our 3" system not tucking up well are you? We have notes posted everywhere about F-body ground clearance issues with 3". It was not easy coming up with this new system. It took quite a few tries and a lot of luck.

What was the quote you got to make a system? How do you know it was a mandrel bender?

btw, What's with all the mad faces from everyone lately. Where's the love people?

Old 04-04-2007, 08:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Smile

I'm patiently waiting for that new 3" drive tunnel X system with the new 3" pypes race pro transverse muffler!

Old 04-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ta
I'm patiently waiting for that new 3" drive tunnel X system with the new 3" pypes race pro transverse muffler!
reread my reply. The 3" Tunnel X can be used to feed into the dual 3" system or into the 2.5" Crossflow system. The design of the crossflow pipes makes it almost impossible to run 3" pipes into the muffler.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Talking

Ccass, I was just teasing on the 3" crossflow muffler! Just wanted you to see more happy faces!

Old 04-05-2007, 07:31 PM

Angry

I`m not teasing. I want a 3" crossflow muffler. mad faces---- to arms!!

Old 04-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ta
Ccass, I was just teasing on the 3" crossflow muffler! Just wanted you to see more happy faces!

Old 04-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb78

Old 04-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb78
Get a 2.5 crossflow from Pypes and ram 3" pipes thru it

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 04-05-2007, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When is the 3 inch driveshaft tunnel x available?

Old 04-06-2007, 01:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

CCass, no I,m very happy with my 3"X pypes system, I bought mine in 2002 or3 so it was very early in the Pypes game. I knew just by the nature of my F body,s underside that any 3" system was a tight fit, the only thing I would have done differently would be to look into muffeler dimintions much more. their better choices for me avabile now ie. Spintech. The company the with the bender in Bend addvertisas in Natonal dragster once in awile. Thanks again for a great product and yes I would buy again from Pypes
Jeff