Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 07-08-2007, 04:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to JT_67Tempest Send a message via MSN to JT_67Tempest Send a message via Yahoo to JT_67Tempest
Default Trouble Installing Doug's Headers - 67 Tempest

I have a 67 Tempest that originally came with a 326 and auto tranny. I purchased a mildly built 400 engine (YS Block Code) and having lot's of trouble installing a set of Doug's Headers (Part# D-564)

The headers seem to be resting on the transmission lines, which prevents the passenger side header from lining up properly. On the driver's side the header is hitting some brake lines.

I'm wondering if the motor mounts I purchased locally are causing the problem? It also seems that if I could get the driver's side to mount, then the primaries may make contact with the lower control arm? Right now the car is up on a hoist so the control arms are hanging low. With the car on the ground, I'm assuming the arms would move up and away from the header primaries and so there won't be an issue.

Has anyone run into issues with installing Doug's headers on a 400 in a 67 Tempest?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Johnny

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010099.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	97198 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010100.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	97199

1967 Tempest
400 CI Stroked to 455
3 Speed Auto w/ Posi
Old 07-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You will have to relocate the lines. Also..the oil stick tube may have to be moved down under the header.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i put the same headers in a 66. i had to trim a little bit off of the corners of the A frames. as for the tranny lines and brake lines jjscerbo is right, you will have to relocate them.

welcome to the world of headers. (dont worry, you will love them once they are installed. also, in the future fel pro makes a good steel core header gasket. (like 17.95 from summit)

i have had good results with them and their sealing abilities. the gaskets that came with the dougs headers blew out after a couple of months but i think that was because my car is lowered and the headers hit a couple of speed bumps causing the gaskets to crush a little.

good luck

66 GTO clone, 467 cubic inches of Turbocharged Multiport Fuel Injected fury twisting a TH400 into 3.90's wrapped in a 12 bolt posi.

My T56 Install
My Turbo Build
My Vortech Supercharger Build
Hyd Throw out bearing
Misc Build Pics

May the Karma Gods meet you half way....
Old 07-10-2007, 02:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to JT_67Tempest Send a message via MSN to JT_67Tempest Send a message via Yahoo to JT_67Tempest

Well the headers are in yeah!!! We had to relocate the tranny lines, the brake lines, shave off some of the passenger control arm and driver lower control arm. We also had to dimple some of the primary tubes in a few places because they were hitting the frame.

Now the problem we have is that the header flange is not sealing well against the exhaust ports on the drivers side. Using the gasket supplied by Doug's and torking the bolts down, we can easily slide a .006 feeler gauge in between the gasket and exhaust port.

Any ideas, on how to solve that issue?

Johnny

1967 Tempest
400 CI Stroked to 455
3 Speed Auto w/ Posi
Old 07-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

well, mine kind of rubbed the frame and/or where the lower control arm attaches to the frame. i had to "customize" mine to fit. (hammer time). if it is rubbing there be sure to add a little extra space because when you accelerate hard the torque of the motor will bring that/those header tubes towards the frame. if that happens and it hits the frame then it wont take long to get a bad gasket leak or blown out gasket.

good luck.

PS where abouts are you in SoCal?

66 GTO clone, 467 cubic inches of Turbocharged Multiport Fuel Injected fury twisting a TH400 into 3.90's wrapped in a 12 bolt posi.

My T56 Install
My Turbo Build
My Vortech Supercharger Build
Hyd Throw out bearing
Misc Build Pics

May the Karma Gods meet you half way....
Old 07-11-2007, 07:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I routed mine above the factory location on the right top frame rail. I made a bracket to add support. They clear the headers fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-014S.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	97473