WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 10-22-2003, 01:08 PM

Because nothing changed for them - it was an Aussie car built with some American components - same as it ever was. The Monaro to some American eyes wasn't much to look at in its heyday anyway.

Q: "Does he wear diapers?"

A: "He says no, but his pants look kinda puffy."
Old 10-22-2003, 01:11 PM

Isn't globalism what will ultimately cause our destruction anyway?

Old 10-22-2003, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SuperQuad:
Because nothing changed for them - it was an Aussie car built with some American components - same as it ever was. The Monaro to some American eyes wasn't much to look at in its heyday anyway.

A: "He says no, but his pants look kinda puffy."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And I am sure you were the first one protesting GM when production of the F-body went to Canada right? When they left Cali and Ohio, you were first in line protesting that the F-body was an "AMERICAN CAR!" right?

Well it became a canadian car with American componants. OPPS, oh right. Motor made in Canada, 6spd made in Mexico.

Get over it already.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:20 PM

Brian lol

Jim, I hope that it is faster, it's only been 30 years since they made a real GTO.

JC, Humbler might take you up on that $50 But seriously, it's hard to accept a car that has its own history and following and has had minimal work to it...Hey wait haven't I already used these points in another post somewhere? I have no arguments about the Monaro being a great car, I know the "GTO" will be a fast car. It already is. Look at it in Australia. Pontiac could have/should have named it something else, especially if they wanted to stay away from the whole retro thing. Like it was said in another thread, look at the Mustang. From 90-whatever up you can see retro cues in it and gee look, THEY SELL. Unlike a small niche car like the T-Bird that Ford thought was going to sell like the Vette. Remember the Fiero? I hope G.M. doesn't make the same istake again and think they're going to sell 150,000 a year

Nothing is real if you don't believe in yourself-Rocky Balboa

A government is a body of people, usually, notably ungoverned-shepherd brook in firefly

join the PY group on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8742503&ref=ts

become a fan of PY on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9458653?ref=ts
Old 10-22-2003, 01:45 PM

To be quite honest I have no passion for that particular car. Not saying I don't like it, the last one looked cool to me - just don't really care - I liked the Mustang better anyway. On the other hand I hate to see the production of anything that was once made here go overseas. Motorola, Levi's, Fruit of the Loom, damn near anything electronic, just to name a few of the several thousand that have done this. If Budweiser(Bud Light) moves to Mexico I'm gonna switch brands.

Old 10-22-2003, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Honestly, I'm looking forward to them. Can hardly wait! Wait till we see them at all the Pontiac Drag Events next year. It should be interesting.

http://home.earthlink.net/~uptons1/ <~~some pics of my 65 GTO
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Treat Me Good, I'll Treat You Better; Treat Me Bad, I'll Treat You Worse"
Sonny Barger
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 10-22-2003, 02:56 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 6567GTO:
Honestly, I'm looking forward to them. Can hardly wait! Wait till we see them at all the Pontiac Drag Events next year. It should be interesting.

Yeh, I agree Phil. The styling isn't what I think it should be, but hey they WILL
run. I can't wait to see what kind of time's they put down.

http://home.earthlink.net/~uptons1/_...censeplate.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~uptons1/ <~~some pics of my 65 GTO<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 10-22-2003, 03:05 PM

I think the new gto is awesome hey at least its not fwd. All GM needs to do now is sell a stripped out version with the LS1 and six speed so a guy like me can afford one!!!
Old 10-22-2003, 05:37 PM
Senior Chief

This car should run! should be fast and i comend(sp?) GM for a rwd v8 Good job. Are there any probloms with the half shafts on these cars? I know on the cobra there was a problom breaking them. I think most were broke at the track though.
Don

some times when you race with squarals you get your nuts cracked!
Old 10-22-2003, 09:36 PM

Whats really strange is how many of the same people consider the last couple generations of firebirds a PONTIAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-22-2003, 09:40 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by perry:
Whats really strange is how many of the same people consider the last couple generations of firebirds a PONTIAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats right !!!!

Australian RWD + American V8 - Now THAT'S what I call a "coalition".
Old 10-22-2003, 09:41 PM

Perry, the Firebird evolved into what it was, it didn't take a 30 year hiatus and then have the name slapped on another car with minor modifications. Plus, I'm sure many of us would have been mucn happier if it had a real Poncho motor(I know I know, I'm dreaming).

Nothing is real if you don't believe in yourself-Rocky Balboa

A government is a body of people, usually, notably ungoverned-shepherd brook in firefly

join the PY group on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8742503&ref=ts

become a fan of PY on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9458653?ref=ts
Old 10-22-2003, 09:50 PM

Yes pierced mikey your dreaming, but what a nice dream it is!!!!!!
Old 10-22-2003, 09:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by perry:
Whats really strange is how many of the same people consider the last couple generations of firebirds a PONTIAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

what's strange?
Old 10-22-2003, 09:54 PM

its strange that the last gen firebired looks like an overgrown sunfire, but hey!!! no-ones complaining about that !!!

Australian RWD + American V8 - Now THAT'S what I call a "coalition".
Old 10-22-2003, 09:55 PM

I was referring to the chevy powered firebirds.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

so you mean from 2nd gen up? 2nd gens came with chevys and olds motors, but that dosn't get mentioned much. I love pontiac motors but they are gone by the wayside for later model EFI gizzmo motors that have 50 years of racing R&Dinto it.

GTO your right about the 4th gens, but look at how it worked from 69 to 70 the cars got bigger and blimpy then in 82 they got more of a slicker design then in 93 it looked like they put a air hose in the tailpipe and blimped the cars back up again.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:06 PM

My thoughts on the "New GTO"

The best thing GM could have done with this car is not change it at all from it's Holden counterpart.(Besides what is needed to make it U.S. legal) Not put on the Pontiac and GTO emblems and bring it to the U.S. as what it is. An Australian made Holden Monaro! But it's way too late for that now...I know!

I'm sure if they wouldn't have mentioned anything about GTO in the first place, everyone would have been fine with the car. It would have still sold due to it's great performance and sleeper quality.
But GM wouldn't do this because they're just trying to make some quick $$$$ on the GTO name. I would think that's also why GM is fighting to keep the "Judge" name. So they can milk as much $$$$ as they can from the legendary GTO.
This is probably why most Pontiac enthusiasts are pissed off. And the fact that we're basically stealing the Aussies' performance car and passing it off as ours is also probably pissing off some some of the Holden enthuisiasts. Oops! But GM isn't targeting the enthusiasts, so who cares?

Just my .0002 cents.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wasn't the original GTO a rebadge? Wasn't the platform also shared by about 5 different GM cars? These points are pretty rediculous, especially the "it looks like..." crap. The 60's and early 70's GTO looks like a Chevelle, GS, Malibu, Skylark, Cutlass, etc etc. Show my girlfriend a picture of a Chevelle, GTO, 442 and Gran Sport and she'd have no clue which is which. Park a '69 GTO and Chevelle next to each other painted the same color and they'll look a LOT more similar than the new GTO and any other car sold in America parked next to each other.

Then we get to the "it needs a hood scoop" argument. Sounds a bit "rice boy" ish to me. Maybe they should tack on a large tailpipe, some 22's and a huge rear wing too? Or would it be jack the rear up, slap some Cragars or Welds on it and some chrome sidepipes?

I am not really a fan of retro styling, they already made a '69 GTO, they already made a '65 GTO, if that's what I want, that's what I'll buy, not a 2003 that looks like a car they already made 30 years ago. If you don't like the car, I have absolutely no problem with that. Not liking it for some made up bogus reason (or claiming that's why you don't like it) is what bothers me. Maybe I don't have a problem with it at all because I don't have a GTO, but then again I didn't have any problem with the newer trans ams despite owning an old one, even though it looked suspiciously like a certain car made by chevy.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:28 AM

Yes the original GTO was a rebadge but this is not the same. GM is taking something from Holden and giving the credit to Pontiac while calling it a GTO. The GTO came from a rebadged Pontiac car. And as for the whole not liking the car thing. I do like the car. I think the Holden Monaro is a great car.
The truth is that GM just wants to make some quick $$$$. If they weren't targeting us Pontiac enthuisiasts then why use the GTO name at all? It's because the name brings something else with it, it brings back a legend. Which in turn brings in the money.
The car is a great performance car and I'm sure it would sell in the U.S. even without the GTO name. But the name is why all this bickering has started and why dealers are making thousands more with those "right to buy" auctions. In the end, it all boils down to the money for GM. They say it would have taken years to create a totally new GTO, which is true, but if they wanted to do it right thats what it takes. It's not like us Pontiac enthusiasts were screaming and yelling at GM to bring th car back...
This is just the easy way out and the easy way to easy money. It's just a shame that the GTO got stuck in the middle of it.
And I also don't own a GTO but I am a Pontiac enthusiast and know how much the GTO means to some people (my neighbor almost cried when he had to sell his original almost mint cond. 65 GTO 3 yrs ago) even if I only turned 19 yesterday.

[This message was edited by YoungOne79TA on October 23, 2003 at 03:37 AM.]