THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-27-2020, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 08-27-2020, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't see how the economy can maintain current levels with so many people working from home. When I went into the office every day, I drove about 60 miles a day when you include going out for lunch. My car gets 25 mpg around town, so I was burning about 12 gallons per week. I would often go to my employer's local manufacturing facilities to look at something, adding another 40 miles a week. So by working from home, I save about $8 - 10 per day on food, or about $200 per month. I also save at least $100 in gasoline. When you factor in that my wife and I no longer go to restaurants on the weekends, that's about another $150 per month. Actual savings are less because we have to buy food to cook at home. I would estimate working from home has reduced our living costs by $300 a month.

I used to go to lunch with three other guys. One is a bachelor, so he probably uses Grub Hub. But the other guys have families and are minimizing outside contacts. Even if you reduce their expenses, that amounts to about $1000 a month for four guys.

When you consider all of the lost restaurant revenue and reduced repair costs due to less wear and tear on our cars, that's a lot of money that isn't making its way into the economy. I don't think this is permanent because I'm dying for a nice steak and Cactus Blossom from Texas Steakhouse and Saloon;. I'm really looking forward to that steak when this dies down. But it's going to hurt a lot of small business owners who are shut down or are seeing their revenue drop sharply. Over time, that will lead to forclosures and reposessions. This could get ugly by early next year.

The Following User Says Thank You to poncho-mike For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

At the supposed "height" of the pandemic a few months ago I closed my restoration shop for a week to see how the infection numbers would look. This was after discussions with my employees to get input from them. After that week we all felt we should go at it again. Everyone has been healthy until a new hire in his early 20's contracted it within a week of working here. He tested positive a week ago and is out on quarantine while the rest of us seem to be okay.
Customer inquiries are through the roof and I'm scheduling incoming work months out. Parts availability is a daily battle with too many hours spent online or on the phone each day.

The Following User Says Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 11:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We were given the choice to take a voluntary leave but I never stopped working. That being said we did take a cut in hours which no one knows how long that's going to last.

Old 08-28-2020, 07:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My wife and I never stopped.

She is a buyer for a large scale gluten free granola bakery.

I`m an auto tech.

People have to eat,and people need their cars fixed,so it all works out.

Not a fan of not being able to do anything though.We had a few fairs we would attend every year;now thats not happening.

My bud is having a track rental on the 11th,so hopefully the weather is clear,and we get to see some racing,and some friends we have`nt seen in a while.

Ken French Built Chassis

Carlquist Competition Engines IA2 505
Competition CNC Ported Super Chiefs
CCE Ported Gustram
Twin Dominators from Shaker 455
963 HP

`09 Electra Glide Standard.

`03 F-350 7.3 6-speed 4x4 Crew Cab Dually.
The Following User Says Thank You to BDHABT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 08:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho-mike View Post
I don't see how the economy can maintain current levels with so many people working from home. When I went into the office every day, I drove about 60 miles a day when you include going out for lunch. My car gets 25 mpg around town, so I was burning about 12 gallons per week. I would often go to my employer's local manufacturing facilities to look at something, adding another 40 miles a week. So by working from home, I save about $8 - 10 per day on food, or about $200 per month. I also save at least $100 in gasoline. When you factor in that my wife and I no longer go to restaurants on the weekends, that's about another $150 per month. Actual savings are less because we have to buy food to cook at home. I would estimate working from home has reduced our living costs by $300 a month.

I used to go to lunch with three other guys. One is a bachelor, so he probably uses Grub Hub. But the other guys have families and are minimizing outside contacts. Even if you reduce their expenses, that amounts to about $1000 a month for four guys.

When you consider all of the lost restaurant revenue and reduced repair costs due to less wear and tear on our cars, that's a lot of money that isn't making its way into the economy. I don't think this is permanent because I'm dying for a nice steak and Cactus Blossom from Texas Steakhouse and Saloon;. I'm really looking forward to that steak when this dies down. But it's going to hurt a lot of small business owners who are shut down or are seeing their revenue drop sharply. Over time, that will lead to forclosures and reposessions. This could get ugly by early next year.
this is an excellent point there will be so many small business that never are able to reopen.

1972 Maverick under slow construction
Old 08-28-2020, 08:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn View Post
I've been remote since March 16. I, as others, feel very fortunate to have not stopped or been financially effected.

I am saving fuel costs plus the time to commute, 3 hours /day. Some of my colleagues are saving 225.00 / month in tolls plus fuel.
Car money!

1972 Maverick under slow construction
Old 08-28-2020, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho-mike View Post
I don't think this is permanent because I'm dying for a nice steak and Cactus Blossom from Texas Steakhouse and Saloon;. I'm really looking forward to that steak when this dies down.
Back in May, before the MN governor finally allowed our restaurants to open, my wife and I drove 100 miles (one way) to Wisconsin so we could go out for beer and pizza.

We used to live in that town 15 years ago and knew the quality of the pizza.

It was worth the trip.

Old 08-28-2020, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Our local Italian place is still take out only but the food is still awesome. I do feel sorry for the waiting staff though, they really need those tips.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
The Following User Says Thank You to SRR For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 06:57 PM
Senior Chief

Locomotive engineer , never stopped . Our automotive freight was down some when the plants were stamping ventilators but they are ramping up now .

Old 08-28-2020, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
Our local Italian place is still take out only but the food is still awesome. I do feel sorry for the waiting staff though, they really need those tips.

We buy take-out from some of the local eat-in establishments. Considering what the employees have been dealing with for months, I always tip generously, 25% or better.

Old 08-28-2020, 09:51 PM
Senior Chief

Warren Wilhelm had deeded, from on-high, that the restaurants in NYC may open, sometime, maybe, next year.............maybe......

Old 08-28-2020, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I retired for the third and final time in March, 2019 and my wife works for the hospital. Her department was shut down for about a month but she still went in to work and made face masks. Most all restaurants here are open except for some of the buffets. But, business is down at all of them.

Old 08-28-2020, 11:12 PM
Senior Chief

Buffets as we knew them are gone, for a long time

Old 08-29-2020, 05:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thankfully...... Wife and I never stopped.....

I work for Heavy truck repair and she is an Accountant

Miss the car shows..... and I miss my parents in Florida.

400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 08-29-2020, 07:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
and I miss my parents in Florida. and I miss my parents in Florida.

Where at in Florida?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 08-29-2020, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
I've been doing call in and takeout (with the occasional limited eat-in) with all of our local restaurants. The waitstaff really need help in this time and I'm doing what I can. One very awesome Mexican restaurant opened in late January and I've been buying from them every chance I get to do my part to help them out.

Several fast food joints have closed locally too, but I don't feel as bad for those as I do the actual locally owned places that aren't chains.

Old 08-29-2020, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Early in the pandemic, a local fast food place was one of the first places to report infected staff members. The Research Triangle Park area (Raleigh/Durham) was one of the earliest hotspots was due to Biogen workers becoming infected at a convention or company event elsewhere and bringing the infection into our area.

Old 08-29-2020, 02:20 PM

Mike is, they were shut down for 2 weeks, but you can’t really stop construction. He does commercial or industrial construction, pipe repairs, sewer repairs, demolition, laterals, and now bridge replacement and road lifting. So they are on job sites, but must have a safety meeting every morning, must wear masks on the job site, and attempt to social distance. Yeah that works when your down in the ground. and need to work side by side.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 08-29-2020, 10:28 PM
Senior Chief

Never stopped.
Fire Apparatus. Police cars and generators still have operate. Vehicles and offices are disinfected after every shift, or when repair is necessary.

370 Posts and holding...