Old 09-06-2007, 08:10 PM

Default 1971 Pontiac Firebird Pegasus?

Does anyone have any information on the 1971 Pontiac Firebird Pegasus? Please respond. Very interested in this car.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Senior Chief

http://www.motortrend.com/classic/fe...ebird_pegasus/

Old 09-08-2007, 01:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

GM owns the car, was featured in a pontiac magazine not long ago.
looks like a heavy ride to me. Ill take a banshee, thank you!!

Old 09-08-2007, 09:01 AM

Default ?

Do you know where the car is stored? Is there a museum?

Old 09-08-2007, 12:39 PM
Senior Chief

wish I knew, would love to see that car, i think the interior looks best EVER done to a 2nd gen...

Old 09-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GM has a BIG storage building somewhere with alot of of the show cars stored there.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by se428bandit
GM has a BIG storage building somewhere with alot of of the show cars stored there.
yes it was taken out and photo'ed , not planned,as I think there were there for the prototype pontiac transport pics. It is in storage , not in a museum.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:48 PM

Default Pegasus in storage?

When I visited the GM Heritage Center, I asked the curator about the Pegasus. He said it was in storage or on display somewhere else. (Not very specific)

I told him I considered it to be an association car because I had seen it the first time around when it was in the Pontiac Engineering Bldg with the hood off and two ferrari V12's present. must have been the time the Pegasus got up-engined. (probably 72-73)

I had special access to a lot of limited access areas because I delivered the internal mail to the shops and the labs on the first floor.

I remember delivering a personal letter to one of the mechanics who had worked on the Pegasus and seeing him get attacked for it by the other mechanics......."Hey! who do you know who can write?"....."And what makes them think you can read?"

I am inclined to belive the Pegasus will one day be on display and if I find out more details, I will post details here.

Citydesk175

Old 03-29-2008, 11:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think that the "foreign" influence was not Gm's game plan and I doubt GM approved of that car to begin with. Delorean may have had pull, but now, unless Wangers gets involved , your not gonna see GM put this on display. It doesnt fit in any link of firebird history except that the Lotus esprit name was pilfered for the firebird.
I believe the magazine was Pontiac enthusiast that ran the photos, and as stated before they had gone there to take pics of the prototype transport, which has a significant historical link.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:17 AM

The car need to go to the Cavallino with Bill Mitchell to tell the story. This car is more Ferrari than trans am. Ive attended the cavallino many times and the story behind this car need to be told. Enzo Ferrari is no longer with us and its just another unique story the be passed around. If anyone has the contact to get that car out of GMs warehouse, I have an air conditioned warehouse and contacts at the cavallino to assure safe arrival. I will also pay to fly Bill Mitchell to the show. In case anyone is wondering what the cavallino is. The most exclusive Ferrari show on the planet. http://www.cavallino.com/ it is held at the Breakers in West Palm Beach Fl every year.

I see a lot of European influence in the 70 Trans am.

Philip

Old 04-02-2008, 01:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ill add I just saw the cover of a book that had this car on it. It might be a motorbooks book, and could be in a classic catalog as well. Might be called Pontiac Dream cars.
my commenst were made based on the post above me info I read a while ago and the people I have talked to felt as though the car didnt represent GM as much as Ferrari.
Be nice to see it outdoors, and running, though, Im an optimist, and if not too, far would pay to see it.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Pegasus:

The car is part of the GM Heritage collection and does make it to shows every now and then. It is still in running condition and still looks as good as when it was built. The reason the guy at the museum was not specific as to where the car was is for security reasons. If the guy who is interested in trying to get the car to the ferrari show in west palm wants to contact me I will forward his information to the right people at GM. If my memory serves correct I think they had the car down in Dayton for the TA nationals last year.