Old 02-13-2010, 09:28 PM

Default 64 shifter

I took my shifter apart to clean it and do some repairs. Should have taken some pictures but didn't. I think I have it back together right but not sure. Would like to be sure before I put it back in the car. Does anyone have or know where I can find some kind of directions or pictures.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here a picture of the shifter and linkage, not sure if that is what U require, or a picture of the shifter assembly itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mrch%2030%202006%20%28Medium%29shifter2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	197188  

Old 02-14-2010, 12:21 PM

Default 64 shifter

Thanks. I've got that picture. I am looking for something like that for the shifter itself. Can anybody help? Thanks again.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Who would ever guess a Hurst shifter could be so difficult to assemble? I did what you did with my '64 GTO Hurst linkage last year. I needed to remove the shifter handle for rechroming, which requires complete disassembly of the shifter. I made sketches when taking it apart, but three weeks later, reassembly appeared hopeless. Luckily, I had another Hurst Competition 4 speed shifter I bought many years ago at a swap meet. Without that to look at, my shifter would still be in pieces.

I suggest you try to find a friend that has an assembled shifter and borrow it to help you through this project.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 02-14-2010, 12:59 PM

It's not that difficult at all from my perspective. Really the only thing to get right is the shim placement between the shifter arms. The shims are different. If you can post a pic. of the entire unit taken apart. we should be able to tell you what shims go where.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Joe, Maybe you have superior mechanical abilities, but I'll repeat---Assembling a Hurst shifter without an exploded view or an assembled unit for guidance would be nearly impossible. Those of you that will attempt Hurst shifter rebuild or assembly would be wise to make DETAILED sketches or take A LOT of closeup photos to make the job possible without tearing your hair out.

I've had everything on my '64 GTO's apart except a 2 speed automatic trans. The Hurst shifter was the biggest challenge and biggest surprise--until I found my spare swap meet unit to show me where each piece went. Having to bend open the housing for the shift arms was something I didn't expect, having three shims that could go between any of the shifter arms, and the need to assemble in the right order to avoid disassemble and starting over were all a PITA.

'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 02-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I hear you Dick. I think most on this forum have above average mechanical abilities... It took me several beers and hours starring at mine prior to figuring it out (and I took it apart!). I have a crossover point regarding beer and time that everything comes together

Old 02-14-2010, 05:24 PM
Senior Chief

Attached is a diagram that I think you are looking for.

Here is a link to an article with step by step pictures that is also a good reference:

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Terry/Desktop/OLD%20PC%20DATA/2)%20GTO%20PARTS/1-A)%20%20CAR%20PARTS%20INFORMATION/HURST%204%20SPEED%20SHIFTER%20-%20HOW%20TO%20SERVICE%20(2).htm

Both of those combined should help you out.

Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HURST 4 SPEED SHIFTER DIAGRAM (64-66 GTO).jpg
Views:	103
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	197271  

Old 02-14-2010, 08:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Xgoater

I think your will have to post that article directly or post it on a share site. It appears that it's on someones "C" drive

My old car is listed in the 2007 Scottsdale Auction, Lot #1016 - $60K
And in the 2008 Scottsdale auction, Lot #960 - $80K
Eventually sold by Brighton Motor Sports in Scottsdale, AZ - http://www.remarkablecars.com/ppads/...p/product/4844
Old 02-14-2010, 08:59 PM
Senior Chief

Try this link:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/tra...t-shifter.html

Old 02-14-2010, 09:23 PM

Thanks to everyone who offered their help. I is the shims I am concerened about. I didn't notice they where different sizes until I started putting it back together. A special thanks to XGOATER. That diagram is exactly what I am looking for. The link is even better. It has everything pictured in a step by step set of directions.Thanks again guys

Old 02-14-2010, 10:49 PM
Senior Chief

You might want to consult with Pete Serio (frequents this board). He's the man when it comes to classic Hurst shifters (and memorabilia). His current website is precisionpontiac.net
He rebuilt/restored two 64 shifters for me.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:26 AM

When spreading the housing apart, all i used was a small adjustable pipe clamp with the end sliding clamp reversed. Put both ends just above that small ends piece in the shifter housing and screwed open the clamp just enough to slide it out. I have seen photos of people using a screw driver as a wedge with a hammer. I was in fear of bending it using this sort of approach compared to the clamp method that puts equal pressure on both sides. The bracket "springs" back after the small piece is removed. It is basically effortless this way.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

xgoater,
Thanks for the great link!! Someone really did a super job of documenting what we're talking about. Now, I'm going to check mine one more time to make sure I got it right.

'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 02-15-2010, 06:44 PM

Thanks for the link, xgoater. My original shifter has been stored away in a box for many years, replaced by a Hurst shifter with a longer, more comfortable handle. Now I think I might take a shot at rebuilding it.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:45 PM

Got the shifter back together. Piece of cake. I printed copies of the pictures & instructions and put them in my manual. I put it in the car today and it's as smooooth as glass. Can't wait to try it out. That may be a while though here in south central PA. Snowing now. Thanks again

Old 02-15-2010, 10:57 PM
Senior Chief

Everyone is very welcome - I was just helping out like so many other guys and gals on this forum. I just need to post the right links!

I went through the same thing about a year or so ago and spent quite some time finding the diagram and article. It can be confusing at the least to reassemble one of these without a diagram or pictures unless you've done it a number of times.

Hey Pontiac Manic - you didn't waste any time gettin' it back together! Glad it went smooth!

Terry

Old 02-16-2010, 09:40 AM

Still have the console to put back. And tie up the loose ends.I'm Retired. So I have got plenty of time to work on it. It really was easy with all that information. Got it right on the first try.Thanks again. This is a great place to look for help.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another thank you to everyone for the input on this. I just pulled my trans/shifter/clutch/etc for service. Trans is leaking a bit & the shifter has a wore out feeling to it (more than likely it's the shifter rods, they are very loose where they mount to the shifter). I got a Hurst Pit Pack, but I'm not sure if it'll work with the OEM '66 shifter.

I plan to follow the instructions provided in the link for disassembly/cleaning/regreasing/reassembly of the shifter. It looks fairly straight forward & relatively simple.

1966 GTO Montero Red Hardtop - Holley EFI'd 462, KRE DPorts/Muncie 4spd
1990 Chevy 454SS pickup - Accel DFI/T56 6spd - Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
1996 Chevy K2500 ECSB 'Poopy'
2002 Honda VTX1800C
2016 Cadillac CTS Premium

My project thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=516826

Old 03-09-2010, 10:56 AM
Senior Chief

Default thanks again

xgoater,
thanks again for the great link, I just reassembled my 64 shifter and it feels smooth as silk. I always treated the Hurst shifters as 'black boxes' ; not to be disassembled but now I'm confident and ready to rebuild more. I beadblasted the exterior and regreased all the interior parts; what a difference. I just wish we could buy the internal parts and replace those that are worn.

Ron
64 GTO convertible
79 CJ7
87 Grand Wagoneer (new project)