Old 01-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default I think the repro teak has been done

Do a google on teakwood wheels. I think they reproduced this wheel years ago but I have no idea of the quality.
Nothing like the OEM example!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Original 65-66 Corvette Teakwood Wheel-3.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	232467   Click image for larger version

Name:	Original 65-66 Corvette Teakwood Wheel-8.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	232468  

Old 01-30-2011, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Chad
Larry Banks here. I started a thread after our exchanged EM's last month
telling me of this project. I am glad you posted as ,after my thread, I got a lot of PM's asking for pictures, and,if you recall, you gave me a code to use to find the pics, and I couldn't give it out to strangers, I assume I was correct in doing this?? Great to see you have covered my problem. lol.
My friend and former GTOAA Tech advisor, Steve Lucas, had an interview years ago, with a man who worked in the factory that made these great wheels.It was published in our local club newsletter ,and maybe elsewhere. It was an interview conducted on a long train ride if I recall correctly. Very cool and informative. If you want to get in touch with Steve about this, send me a PM and I will give you his contact info. Larry Banks

Old 01-30-2011, 09:48 PM
Senior Chief

I also have an NOS 64 wood wheel. I have two 64 GTO's under restoration. I recently bolted the NOS one on one of the cars that's 75 percent done. For the other I have an original but cracked wood wheel I was going to use lacking anything better. But now if you get this repro done.... I'll have a nice one for that car too.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Step 5: Mold the plastic onto the wheel

This is how it looks when it comes out of the mold.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1961.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	233994   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1967.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	233995   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1966.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	233996  

Old 02-08-2011, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That is remarkable work!

Great thread!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 02-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Senior Chief

So 64woodwheel, have you approved it, or still making mods?

Old 02-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Senior Chief

Have you determined how many you are going to make in the first run? Can I get on a reserve list?

Old 02-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chad, that looks excellent. Did that wood wheel that was with a 64 GP (Sunfire Red)

go with that car sale(eBay), or did you keep it as a samle for dimensions, etc.? Larry B.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The GP wheel stayed here. It was the "workhorse" for the dimensions. I took hundreds of measurements from that wheel and a few from my '65 take off and compared. The GP wheel had plenty of scratches here and there already so a few more from various measuring devises didn't bother me. I am using my take off for color matching the plastic.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_bb View Post
Have you determined how many you are going to make in the first run? Can I get on a reserve list?
PM sent

Old 02-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to 3 Deuce 64

Chad what does the outer edge of your repop look like ? Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1964 gto pk lights 002 - Copy.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	234006  

Old 02-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Deuce 64 View Post
Chad what does the outer edge of your repop look like ? Don
Like this:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	64GTOWoodSteeringWheelStainlessSteelBand(2).jpg
Views:	173
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	234007  

Old 02-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Any idea what will be the retail price on a complete wheel?

Old 02-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Any idea what will be the retail price on a complete wheel?
Not ready to go public with that yet. But it will be more than a used one that is cracked or "restored", but less than a nice original. I know that leaves a wide range it could fall into. Demand will also play a part.

Thanks, Chad.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What is the diameter of that wheel? I typically like to go a little smaller than stock for a couple reasons and one is my long legs.

I imagine that the mold will only be for the one dia???

'69 GTO Ragtop, 455, RA, KRE SD Perf ported heads and "old Faithful" cam, Sean Murphy Q-Jet, Tremec 5spd, Moser Trutrac 3:73, Hotchkiss, Speedtech, Wilwood
'64 Lemans Convertible, Tremec TKO600
Old 02-08-2011, 06:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marauder View Post
What is the diameter of that wheel? I typically like to go a little smaller than stock for a couple reasons and one is my long legs.

I imagine that the mold will only be for the one dia???
Right, the mold is for same diameter as the original, 16". Varying from that would require a completely different set of tooling for the spokes as well. That's when a tilt column is nice!

Old 02-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chad, been following the thread off and on, so maybe have missed something. If I haven't said it, awesome project and nice work.

But I see you mention something about a '65 take off and I see the pic of the plastic rim in close up.

It looks "wrong" to my eye. Are you copying the grain/color of a '65 up "wood" wheel? If so, I believe that is way different from the '64.

The '65 up wheels suffered from "wear", the wood color finish would rub off in time, leaving the underlying light colored plastic to show.

The '64 was molded from a seemingly dark brown color plastic that gives the illusion of wood grain but without the "grainyness" of the '65 up (and what I see in your close up pic). The '64 plastic has a smooth surface by comparison.

The '64 wheels did not suffer from the rubbed off finish since the color was thru & thru. At least that is my understanding and is true of my own pretty nice (no cracks) '64 wheel. The '64 wheels did not ever need to be "refinished" like the '65 up wheels did.

Perhaps you already know this and I am misinterpreting. But as nice as your project appears to be, I wanted to sure this was a detail you were duplicating if possible.

Or somebody else might say I'm all wet. I only have my own wheel to view but this was also how the '64 wheel was described in an old GTO Newsletter article detailing the technique for refinishing the '65 up wood wheels.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
Chad, been following the thread off and on, so maybe have missed something. If I haven't said it, awesome project and nice work.

But I see you mention something about a '65 take off and I see the pic of the plastic rim in close up.

It looks "wrong" to my eye. Are you copying the grain/color of a '65 up "wood" wheel? If so, I believe that is way different from the '64.

The '65 up wheels suffered from "wear", the wood color finish would rub off in time, leaving the underlying light colored plastic to show.

The '64 was molded from a seemingly dark brown color plastic that gives the illusion of wood grain but without the "grainyness" of the '65 up (and what I see in your close up pic). The '64 plastic has a smooth surface by comparison.

The '64 wheels did not suffer from the rubbed off finish since the color was thru & thru. At least that is my understanding and is true of my own pretty nice (no cracks) '64 wheel. The '64 wheels did not ever need to be "refinished" like the '65 up wheels did.

Perhaps you already know this and I am misinterpreting. But as nice as your project appears to be, I wanted to sure this was a detail you were duplicating if possible.

Or somebody else might say I'm all wet. I only have my own wheel to view but this was also how the '64 wheel was described in an old GTO Newsletter article detailing the technique for refinishing the '65 up wood wheels.
Thanks, John.

My 65 take off is a 64 wheel taken off in '65. It has very little to no wear on the texture and had been on display indoors for 45 years.

I am going to great lengths to duplicate the original look of the 64 color, grain, and texture and I know exactly what you are talking about. I have owned about 5 '64 wood wheels, as many as three at the same time. They all were different colors of brown. probably due to UV exposure and wear. But also due to variances in the original plastic. Some have a wild swirly look with dark and light brown partially mixed together. Others are more consistent. So unlike paint codes, there really is no right answer IMO.

The worst of the wheels that I owned had been subjected to an amateur "restoration" whereby most of the grain and texture had been sanded away to leave a smooth surface. Still had nice color, but hardly any texture or grain left.

In some of my pictures the color looks lighter than actual. This is due to different lighting and photography techniques. And you are right, the prototype is too light IMO also. But I can easily adjust the color. If you look on my website there is a complete wheel and a bare wheel side by side. They are the same wheel but one picture looks lighter than the other... due to lighting.

Thanks again, Chad

Old 02-08-2011, 10:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to RA6T7GTO

very nice, i might need one for my 65

Old 02-09-2011, 08:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Chad, makes sense to me. Mine isn't wildly swirled, but I do see a bit of "marbled" effect in places giving it the look of smooth polished wood, a mix of what I would call chocolate brown intermixed with a little of a gold kind of hue to create the marbling. I can't say that mine was never "recolored" or possibly sanded for that matter. Have had it indoors for about 20 years but don't know the prior history. BTW, I paid $300 for it, LOL. A heap of money at the time for me. Of course, when I bought my first '64 GTO convertible in '73 I paid $135 or $150, all original drivetrain (4 bbl 3 spd man trans & Safe-T-Track). So $300 for a steering wheel seemed outrageous. Those were the days!