Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ron,
Sorry to hear about your troubles w/ stuff- it sucks! However, don't give up on the business (once you resolve all due orders)- you may find that leaving the (not so) Golden State will turn out to be a good thing. I think I know which state you moved to, and if so, there is a good chance that you can get some workers (for a reasonable rate) and make yourself a profit-- the whole point of business, right?
Keep your chin up!
As a side note- I show people my original set of Tri-Y's and the response is good. I hope to buy some more from you in the future. Think positive, buddy!

Old 01-26-2011, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bought a set from the first batch years ago for a frind, and resendly another set for my GTO, im curendly waighting on another set witch i orderd for my 68 firebird!!. I have no problem with Ron nor him dilivering his product. yes i we all know hes been on a strugel but tries to do good.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Suspended

Received my headers today. I do understand your frustration ahub. I do not believe Ron is trying to rip anyone off. Thats all I'll say.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:54 PM

Ordered mine in August 2010 and they were sent to the coaters in September

Old 01-26-2011, 09:57 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 01-26-2011, 10:00 PM

Oh Ron,
got in not so long ago and it was dark outside. Might have to delay my promise until the w/e as it will probably be the same tomorrow and Friday. PM me if that's a problem.

Rich

Old 01-26-2011, 10:02 PM
Suspended

They look great coated Richie. I need to get mine fitted to the turbo before coating. They are going to end up VERY short, because they essentially need to end before the transmission to turn toward the passengers fender......like my old ones.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice looking tubes there guys!
Mine should be along shortly.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:21 PM

I have a set from the 1st batch. They are on the car and fit great on an auto firebird.

In Early Sept I send Ron money for another set. From my understanding the pattern has been updated to fit both the A-body and F-body, so I want a set for my 69 GTO.

It a bummer Ron had to move the shop, it seem like he was cranking out some headers and from our emails, I thought I would have them in November. Ron said my set was ready and waiting to go to the coaters...so hopefully I can get them soon.

Ron Check your PMs and email...ready for an update...thanks

Old 01-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Suspended

I am interested in the tri-y design concept. How does it actually scavenge better than a 4 tube design, with equal length tubes? How does it tune at different rpm points? Mr Watt, are you taking new orders, or will you give up building headers? Please advise as to tube size for a 455 with 270-280@.050 ft cam, heads flow 285 cfm, d-port, 3.42 gear,3600lbs. The car is rowdy, but streetable. I want all the torque i can possibly get, and if the tri-y is superior to the 4 tube in my configuration, let me know. Thanks

Old 01-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Suspended

The idea behind Tri-Y's is to increase scavenging effect, having a nearby cylinder help pull the gases from another as it passes the intersect joint where they connect. Same basic philosophy as happens with your miracle gro plant feeder. The feeder attaches to your hose, and there is a small ofifice connecting the feeder to the water supply. The moving water draws miracle gro out of the container.

Does this happen in our real world headers? It can. Especially on a chassis car if an experienced exhaust builder is building them......and there are probably a handful of those around the country. But truthfully the individual pipe lengths need to be specific to get this maximum effect, and OUR Tri-Y headers are designed more to FIT in a particular car with design parameters almost exclusively tailored to the fit.

Some may argue with me, but I feel that my new tri-Y's would not necessarily be worth HP over any other type of header with similar sized tubes. So if thats what you are looking for they may not be any better than what you have. None of us has yet had these on a dyno, and the right way to do that would be to do it side by side with other headers. Even then......you are most likely talking about a few HP difference.

BUT, the Tri-Y design DOES offer incredible clearance under a car like the 2nd gen firebirds. Other headers out there tend to get smashed on the road as time goes on because they hang too low.......a problem difficult to correct when you have 4 tubes trying to merge near the collector.

My car with its old Tri-Y's on it cleared the road very well. Considering it made 1064 hp with these old smaller tube diameter pipes at 1 and 5/8", I'd say I was pretty happy. Of course I have a turbo contributing.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Look what came in the mail today!

It has exactly the amount of threads to use all that were not damaged in the ram

Its installed now took about 10 min total, mostly because I was being careful since it had some resistance

Hose fittings in place & lined up, I still need to bleed the ram since there was maybe 1/2 gal of fluid that came out of it

Old 01-27-2011, 10:19 PM

glad to see you back together hope all else goes smooth

Old 01-27-2011, 11:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks 79ta,
Wanted to post the results so the guys that tried to help out could see & share in the progress.

Also so theres no "Conspiracy Theories" wildly tossed out there about the fitting problem being some figment of my imagination

I thought maybe it needed to be bled because the mandrel ram went one direction then would only travel about 1/4" at most after that initial movement. I was going to call the tech line tomorrow about it.

While I was down town I was constantly thinking about it & tried a thing or two when I got back. One was to a line the hole in the bolt to the 90* hose fitting in case there was a restriction. Thought that would be a long shot since there should be enough of a cavity in that 90* around the bolt to allow any position. Of course there was no difference.

I also knew that the big piece between the new piece I installed & the 90 on the hose turns. So I turned it until it was backed all the way to the 90 & tried it. The mandrel moved although sluggish one way. So I tried a few more positions with varying results. So it may still need to be bled or just to just this piece properly or both. So tomorrow I will get the tech on line to get it right.

So in short should only be minutes away from more bending.

I want to also say thanks for the guys that helped out narrowing down the part & the other guys with there support.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:44 AM
Pontiac performance Author

Ron,

Keep on plugging away, guy! You are biting off way more in terms of fitment than H-O did in the 1970s. I'm following your progress and hoping for your ultimate good success.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahub421 View Post
who actually has gotten a pair of headers that are on their car that do fit and when???
To set the record straight so that your statement doesn't get out of control. There is "NO" header out there that I personally built that has a fitment issue for the 2nd gen birds/68-72 A-body's. No matter O-port, D-port or RAV's. Thats because I go the extra few minutes to check "EVERY" header on special test frames that are always positioned in my shop before they are boxed up. Even though my jigs that I had modified for them have't yet caused any fitment issue to date. I do it only because of a few fitting issues with a past header Co that cost me $1500 before they fessed up to it.

When I made the patterns for the 64-67 Abody's years ago it was done on a friends 67 Lemans I had at my 1st shop. They fit fine & only after I sent out all the O-ports I found that one collector barley touched the lip of the trans pan. The customer that told me about it said it was a non issue for him since he just bent the lip a tiny bit. I wanted it to be as perfect of a fit as possible so In the years since I have I had slightly changed the position of at tube & the angle of another to make sure the problem wouldn't happen once they were made again. I did this off the car & knew at some point I would be able to check them on a car. I never gotten another 64-67 A-body to check.

This is why the first person to get that style header was located 20min from me. Know full well that if there would be a problem I could easily fix the problem from such a short distance. Little did I know that it would take months for him to install them while I eagerly waited for any news. All the while I had gearbanger on my heals for them. I built a total of 4 sets & just before shipping them out I heard of the issue from that customer because he had just installed them. I arranged with SD421 to go help him through the work of installing a block, heads & trans into his GTO to fix the problem. He says 3-4 trips I think it was 4-5 trips but either way it was a 40mile round trip each time. The problem is fixed & is a much better design. As for the starter, a stock starter may fit but would be to close to last long at all & wouldn't be an easy R&R. So all sales will have a footnote stating that (its not at all uncommon for a header Co to list such fitment footnotes) a mini starter is required. At a later date when I get a 64-67' A-body at my shop I will make the necessary adjustments for a stock starter.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Craig,
Means a lot coming from you

Old 01-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Will you be able to make a 2 1/8" for a First Gen Firebird, Rd port?

Old 01-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Suspended

So is the tri-y a waste of time? It just fits better Aronhk md? What brand mini starter fits the header for 64-67's? I have found differences between starter brands. Thanks

Old 01-28-2011, 09:40 PM

I agree with Craig. I have a set on order from November. Ron has always answered all my questions and has never ducked me. I believe Ron will make good on all the orders. Keep your head up Ron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalHO View Post
Ron,

Keep on plugging away, guy! You are biting off way more in terms of fitment than H-O did in the 1970s. I'm following your progress and hoping for your ultimate good success.

Closed Thread