Missing Pontiacs, Parts or Trailers Include lost or stolen items here

Old 02-23-2010, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Stolen GTO in Chicago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDXh_QLcuKg

Pretty slick crew it looks like.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Was on the news last night. This is suppose to be a "trendy" Chicago neighborhood. There was an Impala scout car that circled a few times to make sure the coast was clear. They motioned to the tow truck that the coast was clear. The tow truck backs up and in 5 minutes, this car is gone.

I'm all for cameras but if they are not HD where you can read the license plate, whats the point? As of last night, they had no suspects.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Suspended

Cannot believe nobody can zoom in on those license plate no.s or the tow truck itself, time for somebody to meet the slugger!!

Old 02-23-2010, 08:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looks like a typical repo to me. But that may be their cover, anyone passing by would assume it was a repo as well.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why did the tape have an edit in it at the 5:50 mark? You could see the truck pull to the end of the fence, and next thing it's half way to the car. Did they edit out somebody walking by doing a quick vin check? Tow truck went by three times.

Looked like a repo to me too.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 02-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Still blows my mind how a ar can be towed away so quickly. I know the driver plled off to another street to secure the wheels but thats still amazing. Agreed looks like a repo.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe I watch too much tv, but have to believe there is enough on that tape to find the tow truck.

PS, I posted this because the car was OWNED by a fellow enthusiast on LS1GTO.com.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBLER View Post
Maybe I watch too much tv, but have to believe there is enough on that tape to find the tow truck.

PS, I posted this because the car was OWNED by a fellow enthusiast on LS1GTO.com.
Isnt Jon Shwen (spell?) the owner of that site?

Old 02-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looked like a Repo job to me, late model Ford stelth tow truck. Snatch and go.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Uh, again, the car was not repod, it was stolen.

Jon doesn't own the site anymore. He sold it to auto forums and bought a Z06 with the $$, LOL.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stealth wreckers in Pa. are illegal and after watching that tape you can see why. If you have a wrecker or a rollback in Pa. it has to have permanent lettering (there is a minimum size that I can't recall right now) of the company name and the phone #, magnetic signs aren't allowed.

Now that I live in Ohio I see these rigs all the time and apparently there is nothing in any laws here that make it mandatory. When I lived and owned a wrecker in Pa. if it wasn't lettered you would be pulled over and cited by any cop that saw it, and yes they did cite you, it wasn't a law that was ignored by cops. Maybe time for other states or the feds to take a look at this type of registration and help honest people and at least handicap the thieves somewhat.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 03-01-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Stealth wreckers in Pa. are illegal and after watching that tape you can see why. If you have a wrecker or a rollback in Pa. it has to have permanent lettering (there is a minimum size that I can't recall right now) of the company name and the phone #, magnetic signs aren't allowed.

Now that I live in Ohio I see these rigs all the time and apparently there is nothing in any laws here that make it mandatory. When I lived and owned a wrecker in Pa. if it wasn't lettered you would be pulled over and cited by any cop that saw it, and yes they did cite you, it wasn't a law that was ignored by cops. Maybe time for other states or the feds to take a look at this type of registration and help honest people and at least handicap the thieves somewhat.
I've seen D.O.T. Troopers pull over unlettered tow type trucks here, and call a tow truck to pick them up. Of course the one they call is fully lettered!!!! Most of the smart repo guys here have dark colored trucks, with lettering in a medium gray along the bottom of the truck, not easily seen, but legal.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Senior Chief

Just watched the 2nd video where the vehicle was recovered by the police without its engine & trans, and was pretty beat up. Described as a total loss by the owner. This is really a sad documentary showing the lack of regard for others. Very sorry for the owner.

"It won't take long, and it won't cost much."
Old 05-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hate it for the owner as I also own a late model GTO and is the only car I have ever bought new in my life. I would hate to be victimized as he was.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 05-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBLER View Post
Uh, again, the car was not repod, it was stolen.

Jon doesn't own the site anymore. He sold it to auto forums and bought a Z06 with the $$, LOL.
Ha! I didint know that. I did notice the forum had changed.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All the owner had to do was turn the steering wheels and lock the steering when he parked and they wouldn't been able to tow without dollys! It would had been all over the road! That's why you have locking steering.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pick it up from the front and disconnect the shift linkage put it in N and your on your way, I did drive a wrecker for a number of years and it's not that hard to do. Yes it requires getting out of the truck and a little more time, just depends on how bad they want it and with a roll back it won't make much difference what you do.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 05-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That is true but they would have gotten out, Possible someone would see them and a lot longer than a 15 sec. heist!
Gotta face it, if he turned his wheels it would have foiled the heist! The car would have fallen off the tow truck in the center of the road blocking traffic. That would have brought some attention!

Ya I've heard the one about a guy stealing a car from the junkyard one pc at a time and re-assembling it in his garage.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Customs View Post
That is true but they would have gotten out, Possible someone would see them and a lot longer than a 15 sec. heist!
Gotta face it, if he turned his wheels it would have foiled the heist! The car would have fallen off the tow truck in the center of the road blocking traffic. That would have brought some attention!

Ya I've heard the one about a guy stealing a car from the junkyard one pc at a time and re-assembling it in his garage
Didnt Johnny Cash write a song about doing that while working at an auto plant??