Old 10-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Search You Tube for "1962 Daytona Continental".

At 3:58 it shows the 62 Lemans leading the race (Actually, it was his being the first car to leave the starting grid.) Some road action is shown at 5:58.

I was impressed by how "flat" the car cornered.

The listing of high performance parts in McCarthy's book (pages 190, 191) shows some heavy springs (660# fronts, 715# rears). On page 187 there is listed a Cable, Rear Suspension Tie Down which I assume is the part they used to limit the rebound travel of the rear axles.

There are numerous other "Super Duty" parts for the 62 4-cyl cars in the McCarthy listings. The listing of brake drums on page 187 verifies that there was an aluminum rear drum available. Apparently, there was a heavy duty front stabilizer bar available too (page 190).

Obviously Pontiac went to great eforts to have these 62 cars be "legal" by having part numbers for all of the stuff they put into these cars.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The cars were lined up according to engine size on the grid. Do you have the link to the longer video? I have never seen the footage from Speed video before. A good find.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:58 PM

This should be it. Man i wish i could find something like this for the 63 race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JY8gkKrKmE

Old 10-26-2012, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is also a shot of the white 62 at the very begining lead in. You can also see it next to the black 62 at the race start. Neat video!

POCI.org
Old 10-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the white car had a 421 and the first black car had a 389. I know no video of the 63. There were the 4 banger cars also, further back in the grid I think.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That last video footage showing color close ups of the 62 has been great! I often wondered what color interior was in the white car. It now sure looks like light blue to me - same as mine!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1842.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	301606  

Old 10-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

53 numbers will be going on soon. Looking for a place to make me some.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Keeping this thread going. Have any pics of the blank canvas? What heads and intake will you use? The real car used a 991 2x4 intake.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:43 AM

I will take some pics soon. Got a bit of a hurricane headed my way. I live on the shore in Connecticut. For the engine since we can't replicate the original car(no transaxle would survive) we are going to build a cat that will fit into A-sedan guidelines. I will propose a 421 but they may make us go much smaller.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would be surprised if they allow a driveline conversion to straight axle. That is a pretty big modification.

Have you ever considered doing a full-size? Less to modify and just a little heavier.

Paul Goldsmith told me they handled much better than the Tempests:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogv9vGpwaRU

Stay safe & dry.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question SVRA classifications?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcarnut View Post
I will take some pics soon. Got a bit of a hurricane headed my way. I live on the shore in Connecticut. For the engine since we can't replicate the original car(no transaxle would survive) we are going to build a cat that will fit into A-sedan guidelines. I will propose a 421 but they may make us go much smaller.
What other cars run in the A-sedan class?

I found it interesting that in a currently running Lone Star Steakhouse tv commercial, at the very beginning of it, there is a very brief picture of what appears to be a "road-race" 1964 GTO. I don't know if it is a vintage picture or of something currently running in some sanctioning body. IT IS A VERY BRIEF PICTURE!

I would think that compared to a big 421 Catalina, a 64 "GTO" with its lighter weight and shorter stroke/high revving potential engine would perform better.

Did the 63 Super Duty Tempest race in any "road course" racing or was it more roundy-roundy?

Old 10-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Obviously Pontiac went to great eforts to have these 62 cars be "legal" by having part numbers for all of the stuff they put into these cars.
A while back I posted the 'special equipment' section of the 1961 parts catalog here: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=701287 The catalog is too early to cover 1962 cars (although I assume some things carried over to the following year) and a lot of the parts are for full size cars, but it's still some interesting reading.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:47 AM

Stuart that special parts catalog is cool. Does anyone have one for 63? would be cool to take a look at. I survived the hurricane here in CT It looks like NY and NJ took the brunt of the storm. The town i am in lost near 10 houses on the shore. I will get some pics of what i am starting with as soon as i can.