Old 11-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default generator light

Check your generator light and/or amp gauge. Several of the 63's we parted have had the gauge wires burned from over charging. Luckily, there weren't any fires under the dash. Agree with DJ, electrical problems can drive you crazy!

Old 11-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Something we should all do is bypass the amp gauge or convert it to volts. I haven't converted a Tempest amp gauge to volts before, but I think I'll do this to the latest wagon addition.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:30 PM
Senior Chief

Not sure that I agree with this? There is very little charging information that comes from a volt meter. Once it shows a problem your car won't start anyway. There is a lot of current that passes through the amp gage on the dash but always double check those wires to the amp gage. Unless we are running original air or other options it's really not a lot of current. Anyone know how much current is actually being passed? John
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Banshee View Post
Something we should all do is bypass the amp gauge or convert it to volts. I haven't converted a Tempest amp gauge to volts before, but I think I'll do this to the latest wagon addition.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wire corrosion increasing resistance leading to excess heat and fire. Connector corrosion with the same effect. Addition of accessories and higher capacity alternators increasing potential/actual current. No need for a high current terminal to determine adequate charging. Also, you can easily see the maximum alternator output flow thru the amp gauge. That's all an amp gauge is, a flow meter and to be a flow meter it has to be in series with the charging system. Furthermore, ample current can be seen at the amp gauge while the battery is low on volts. Also, how can you tell if a voltage regulator is working using an amp gauge? A volt meter directly measures charging system performance -- How many reasons do you need?

Last edited by 63Banshee; 11-23-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This car is basically a 'flood car', as it got water logged up to and beyond the dash. In most cases, 'flood cars' are sold as salvage, due to guaranteed ongoing wiring issues caused by corrosion and other issues with mold, etc. The positive note is that this car was filled up with fresh rainwater, not saltwater or brackish water. So, not super corrosive. But, as the months roll by, electrical components that never did dry out because they were submerged are now corroding and developing fuzz and resistance. If I had this car, I would replace all of the wiring harness, and probably all the dash switches, if I could. I've left my window cracked open before overnight to find a wet seat and damp carpet, but never in flash flood conditions. I'm betting you never leave your window cracked open when it's raining ever again! Good luck with your car.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Keith: Hope you kept Betsy out of the rain today.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hanlon View Post
Keith: Hope you kept Betsy out of the rain today.
Bill,,, Not only was Betsy out in the rain today,,, She did just fine!!!!! Except for not having any brakes due to going through 10-12" water puddles!! I was no fool & stay'd off of the freeways!!! There were some underpasses that had water up over the rooftops of the cars that got flooded!!!

We both survived the day. The Phoenix area got more rain in a 6 hour period than we normally get in an entire year!! The bigest part of the storm was from 3 am to 9 am. Wow!! Very wet out there.

POCI.org
Old 09-09-2014, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you really had to go thru deep water back up. Ever notice there's no water at the stern on a boat.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Never any on the mast either. Maybe go through upside down?

Old 09-10-2014, 06:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Did all the gullies get washed?

Old 09-10-2014, 11:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Minnesota View Post
Did all the gullies get washed?
Yes they did!! Youngest daughters house had 6" of mud & water in it. The slab in my garage is 6" lower then the house slab. Had water in the garage. Had a foot of water in the shop at work. 4" of that was in the bottom drawer of my tool box where all my big air tools are!! Quite the mess!!

POCI.org
Old 09-26-2014, 12:07 AM

How's ol Betsy doing? Hope she's breathing!

Old 09-26-2014, 08:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I expect she'll be jealous of the new driveway resident.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978