Old 01-19-2006, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Absolutely one of my favorite cars of all time. Just a hint of what Pontiac Engineers were up to before the racing ban.

What are the specs of the torque tube on the super duty cars? I would think they’d get in a bind with all that torque.

Old 01-19-2006, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the TQ tube had a bumper on the rear and I believe the drive shaft was harder,otherwise the same as a 326 auto shaft and tube.Tom

Old 01-19-2006, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A bumper?

I wonder if I can run substantial power through a cryo treated 326 shaft...

Old 01-19-2006, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have one of the 4 speed SD auto trans and I talked to Arni about it last week.He told me he NEVER broke the trans or drive shaft.The weak spot is the ring and pinion,he and Bill Blair both told me they lasted about 10 runs.Tom

Old 01-19-2006, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief many horses
Yes and no---- In the S.D. case, if it's the truth, the car was replaced and the vin tag was installed - so to speak. In a re-stamp or remanufacture of a part, (such as to make the trans. hydraulics work), again, if changes are documented and to be used as a museum piece to show the way it should have been - there is a difference. Museums around the world are full of re-manufactured history. Documentation of changes are the key issues here, is it done to decieve? I've personally sat in on Scott's seminars at times and really had to do some hard thinking when he would say right out what he had to do in circumstances where parts were just not available. I don't suppose that if someone is outwardly saying what he is doing that he is purposely causing deception. He's telling you like it is, but maybe you do know more of this situation than I do.
That is NOT what I'm talking about...it's NOT what Tieman was talking about in the HPP article...and you know it, so stop skirting the issue.

I'm talking about restamping a block at a customers request so they can have a numbers matching vehicle...it's deceiptful.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Prix
How could you "deceive for profit" if every one in the hobby knows about it?
Nobody knew about Gartzman's car being a rebody until he foolishly let it slip to the wrong person.

Nobody knew about Tieman restamping blocks until he himself admitted it in HPP.

Nobody knew about the questionable trail of ownership on this wagon until Misus spoke up.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:29 AM

Brian, It's not that I'm trying to skirt the issue, (which would be just another form of deception), it's that you must have more solid facts on this issue than I Have. I guess the real issue here is that you seem to feel that both Scott and Randy are, (and were), deceitful liars in this business that we call a hobby, and whether you're right or wrong - once a persons reputation is taken from him, it's a long way back. I do hope that your evidence is strong enough to be their judge.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Chief...I never said anything about Randy. As for Scott...he said it himself, in an HPP article, many years ago. He took so much heat for it from the readership, that 2 issues later he issued somewhat of a retraction, but we already knew the truth. The truth being, that it is widely accepted in the restoration business to restamp blocks, transmission cases, etc. in an effort to produce a "numbers matching" vehicle where one previously didn't exist, and that Scott has participated in such practices himself. There's your evidence. Do I have to dig my back issues out of the attic and scan them?

Old 01-20-2006, 01:03 AM

Unhappy

Thanks for the info., and for the record, I'm also against re-stamping. Case closed.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hard to believe this thread is nearly 2 years old now. I wanted to bring it back for no other reason than it's the coolest Pontiac I've seen on any forum and no one should miss out.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for digging this thread back out, Dave.

As an aside, I saw this car right after Scott finished it. It was at Stanton (Mid Michigan Motorplex) and Scott was actually making passes in it!

The words "beautiful restoration" do not do it justice; Scott had little "baggies" on the pedals so they would not get dirty!

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926