Old 01-05-2010, 11:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Stan Antlocer SD421 pics

There are some photos of the Stan Antlocer SD421 Tempest over on the HAMB board, it's in primer right now and they're blocking the body to get it ready for paint: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ontiac&page=16

Old 01-06-2010, 12:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, Stuart.

Interesting thread on the HAMB, too!

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 01-06-2010, 12:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

talked to the owner yesterday,car is almost ready to go to Randys to have the front end put on.The car should be at Medowbrook and Norwalk.John said I can make a pass in it at Norwalk!Tom

Old 01-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
talked to the owner yesterday,car is almost ready to go to Randys to have the front end put on.The car should be at Medowbrook and Norwalk.John said I can make a pass in it at Norwalk!Tom

Heh, heh - that's pretty cool, Tom.

If I know Scott he'll have little plastic bags on the brake/clutch/accelerator pedals so you won't get them dirty...

...that's what he did on the wagon first time out after it was done.

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 01-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm always torn on these factory race car restorations. Is this car better being over restored, like is happening, or period/factory correct, or on the track with the Nostalgia Super Stockers every chance possible?

Old 01-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would go with with nostalgia SS cars. I would rather run the hell out of them!

Old 01-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it were my car, I would be scared as hell to race it. It is far too valuable in my humble opinion. I have seen many freak things happen on the quareter mile over the years.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddy View Post
... I have seen many freak things happen on the quareter mile over the years.
Who hasn't.

I think I'd have to go with period/factory correct for this car. Still not my flavor though... wrong taillights!

Old 01-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If mine it would be restored as it left the factory.JMO,Tom

Old 01-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Iam with Tom but would want to drive it on the street and take it down the strip. The real value is the enjoyment you get.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:51 PM

Default Glad it's not!

For once I'm happy to say I'm glad it's "not" being restored as it left the factory!

If so we all would be losing a piece of very unique history, especially since this was the only one of all 14 cars which was issued part numbers from the factory to modify it to a conventional solid rear axle. This made the car unique aside from how unique the car already was from the factory.

This car is know both for it's engineering and it's history combined together that’s what will make it so special once it's done!

I have spoken with Stan countless hours about this very topic and he would have been quite "disturbed" if the car was restored otherwise and I quote!

Yes the car is in the hands of someone else and he may or may not have intentions of selling the car, dollars and cents aside. The car is more valuable restored "AS RACED"

I don’t chime in here often but this car and this topic hits home especially since it was my intention to restore the car as raced and have Stan fully involved in the process.

I'm also surprised no one has ever noticed the second to last bid...$226,"421.63"

Oh well I'm just glad to see the car will showcase the original history of the vehicle.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemergary View Post
Iam with Tom but would want to drive it on the street and take it down the strip. The real value is the enjoyment you get.

That's the way I'd build that car also. It was built to be raced and that's what I'd be doing. Monetary value be damned.It's a race car,race it!

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

there is NO way to race the car as it left the factory.The R&P are only good for about 10 runs,AND there are NO 3.90 R&P avail to replace,also cant be driven on the street much that way for the same reason.It would be a trailer queen as del from the factory.JMO,Tom

Old 01-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotCat_63 View Post

I'm also surprised no one has ever noticed the second to last bid...$226,"421.63"
That had been pointed out, perhaps shortly after the auction ended.

K

Old 01-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If it were mine, I might drive it down the track. Far to valuable to race. that is why I built my car. First, I will never be able to own a real one. Second, if I could afford it, i would not race it. I would put it on display and drive it around much like the black 63 SD Catalina that is so beautiful.

Kip

1966 GTO Hardtop - PS 14.84 @ 97mph
Old 01-06-2010, 11:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Tom S, counld a standard pegleg R&P be used? That might let you drive it on the street a little! Also is it the size or the material that make the R&P so bad.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
there is NO way to race the car as it left the factory.The R&P are only good for about 10 runs,AND there are NO 3.90 R&P avail to replace,also cant be driven on the street much that way for the same reason.It would be a trailer queen as del from the factory.JMO,Tom
Tom, that's exactly why I'd leave it with the chassis it had under it when sold. That transaxle was trouble with a stock 4cyl. My mom killed 4 of them in 120k.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-07-2010, 01:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Come on. The transaxle is plenty stout for a 4 banger as well as the 326. Let keep the conversation realistic.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

a SD trans axle CAN be converted to a differential.Jay Itel did his BUT he has a full on machine shop and endless hours to do it.When I had mine I pulled it apart and my machinest and I determined the "juice was not worth the squeeze" and sold it.There is just WAY to much to change.They are a unique piece of pontiac history and belong in a SD car.JMHO,Tom

Old 01-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The restored value of this car has to be over 500K even in a poor market. Besides the fact that it is not replaceable. Solid axle or transaxle-it would be almost a trailer queen, if it were mine. There are plenty, comparitively speaking, of 4cyl autos for sale to make into race cars.