Old 05-23-2014, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can't say "for sure", everything I "know" about Pontiacs is subject to change as new evidence surfaces.

In this case, I have zero reference material to rely on for '61.

However, in prior years, Pontiac had used CM for Accessory Group option called "Comfort Group". Consisted of Windshield Washers, Tinted Glass, and Latex Foam Seat Cushion.

The foam cushion was an extra layer of padding used in the construction of the front bench seat.

I could not find evidence that a similar Group Option was offered in '61 for the Tempest.

You might want to review the Accessorizer seen here to see if any of the Group Options listed match to the equipment on your car.

http://oldcarbrochures.org/NA/Pontia...ccessorizer-02

If I was betting, I'd focus on the Custom Interior Décor Group, since it looks like you have the Front Fender Top Ornament which is noted as ONLY available in this Group Option (not available as an individual option).

Old 05-23-2014, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No washers, clear glass. Not sure about the foam. Possibly had a factory radio.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

???

Did you look at the link to check the '61 Tempest Custom Interior Décor Group option as I suggested?

I think I confused you by describing the earlier Comfort Group.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not confused. I was making clear that this car shows no evidence of having washers or tint, but possibly had a factory radio. Simple process of elimination to figure out the CM code.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dave,,Didnt even notice that it was cameo cream. Now that I check the photo close, I see that. Looked faded white to me! It get to you ok?? No issues??

POCI.org
Old 05-24-2014, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Custom Interior Decor Group consists of:

Deluxe Steering Wheel Ring (Sales Code 541)
Safari Luggage Compartment Mat (Sales Code 612)
Right-Hand Sunshade (Sales Code 731)
Cigar Lighter (Sales Code 732)
Custom Interior Appointments
Front Fender Top Ornament, also referred to as the Front Fender Windsplits

The Front Fender Top Ornament (which your car DOES have) was only available as part of a Group option, not available as an individual option. This suggests to me that the CM points to a Group option.

Found a more detailed description of the individual items comprising the Custom Interior Décor Group.

However, this description omits the Front Fender Top Ornament.

You have the standard code 298 Safari interior trim.

According to this listing, the only way to get the Custom Interior Décor Group was with a Custom Interior trim colors. There were (5) available, only (4) for the Safari, perhaps because the standard Safari 298 trim was too similar to the available Grey Custom Trim code 271.

http://oldcarbrochures.org/NA/Pontia...essories-02-03

Since the base Safari trim 298 was all Morrokide, there is the off chance that you COULD get the Custom Interior Décor Group with the 298 trim, so worth checking for all the other items.

Your car seems to lack the Front Fender Ornaments on the side so that would eliminate any of the Exterior Décor Group options.

I still lean toward CM indicating the Custom Interior Décor Group. I believe the 298 trim can be explained even though the brochure says "(With Custom Trim Only)".

Let us know if it does include all of the other Custom Interior Décor Group options listed or not.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanickeith View Post
Dave,,Didnt even notice that it was cameo cream. Now that I check the photo close, I see that. Looked faded white to me! It get to you ok?? No issues??
I too thought it was going to be a CC code. Forgot all about the '61 Bamboo Cream color. Hope to find some interior reference before I start on upholstery. I knew that was some sort of gray and figure gray with rings on the wheels will look just about right. Got here yesterday and I think it will work out as planned. I'm tempted to find a 3 spd for it, or even fit a '63 3spd I have here in it, but likely to just drop in a replacement auto trans I have taking up shop space.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can't say I remember seeing any tempest without fender windsplits. I'd bet my left nut the standard steering wheel is original to the car. No deluxe wheel here. The sunshades are missing, but interestingly only the left bracket is in place. Difficult to say if there were ever screws in the right sunshade bracket holes before. The car has been in the desert for 30+ years -- There is a cigar lighter, but no sign of luggage mat. Looked the car over for signs of repaint. Nothing yet. No sign of side fender spears being removed and filled. Does have an underdash radio bracket in place. PHS on a car like this isn't something I'd normally do, but will for sake of code knowledge.

Will work on getting the rear seat folded up this weekend. It's possible the upholstery there is good enough to see detail. However, I've got lots of parts orders to deal with first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
The Custom Interior Decor Group consists of:

Deluxe Steering Wheel Ring (Sales Code 541)
Safari Luggage Compartment Mat (Sales Code 612)
Right-Hand Sunshade (Sales Code 731)
Cigar Lighter (Sales Code 732)
Custom Interior Appointments
Front Fender Top Ornament, also referred to as the Front Fender Windsplits

The Front Fender Top Ornament (which your car DOES have) was only available as part of a Group option, not available as an individual option. This suggests to me that the CM points to a Group option.

Found a more detailed description of the individual items comprising the Custom Interior Décor Group.

However, this description omits the Front Fender Top Ornament.

You have the standard code 298 Safari interior trim.

According to this listing, the only way to get the Custom Interior Décor Group was with a Custom Interior trim colors. There were (5) available, only (4) for the Safari, perhaps because the standard Safari 298 trim was too similar to the available Grey Custom Trim code 271.

http://oldcarbrochures.org/NA/Pontia...essories-02-03

Since the base Safari trim 298 was all Morrokide, there is the off chance that you COULD get the Custom Interior Décor Group with the 298 trim, so worth checking for all the other items.

Your car seems to lack the Front Fender Ornaments on the side so that would eliminate any of the Exterior Décor Group options.

I still lean toward CM indicating the Custom Interior Décor Group. I believe the 298 trim can be explained even though the brochure says "(With Custom Trim Only)".

Let us know if it does include all of the other Custom Interior Décor Group options listed or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0880.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	364708   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0881.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	364709   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0882.jpg
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	364710   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0883.jpg
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	364711   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0884.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	364712  

Old 05-25-2014, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gotta say, looks like the Custom Interior Décor Group is losing traction.

Maybe CM was the initials for the Safari Luggage Compartment Mat?

That assumes the Mat was something installed by Fisher Body.

The Front Fenders were not Fisher's responsibility so presumably the CM has nothing tp do with that, the windsplits were just something that led me to think the car might have been optioned with the Custom Interior Décor Group, some options of which would have involved Fisher.

PHS would definitely help.

Curious about the windsplits. I have zero experience with the early Tempest series. Accessory brochure does seem to suggest you could only get them with a Group option. Hard to imagine they were standard, especially since all other exterior chrome seems to have been strictly optional but if you've never seen a '61 without them, who knows?

Then again, the car sounds pretty basic, so having optional windsplits almost seems contrary to the option level of the car.

Let us know when you get the PHS.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

According to my 61 Tempest facts book, the fender wind splits are part of the outside lower decor group. This includes the 3 pieces in the cove on each fender & the stainless that runs under the doors,,,,But it looks like you can get just the wind splits

But that is questionable also.I have seen factory original cars with all or just part of the lower decor group. My book also lists heater/defroster as vacume operated push button controlled??? Have never seen an early Tempest with vacume controlled heater.

POCI.org
Old 06-02-2014, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sent off for PHS. I found some evidence of paint blow in, so we'll see.

Still looking for 298 gray vinyl trim pictures. Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Banshee View Post
'61 Wagon (Christened "Mojave")
Body: BC (Southgate, CA)
Trim: 298 (Gray vinyl)
Paint: MM (Bamboo Cream)
ACC: CM

Just got this car in. The only obvious option is an auto trans. Even has a standard steering wheel. Anyone know for sure what the CM code is? Anyone have pictures of '61 298 interior?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	298 trim.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	365802  

Last edited by 63Banshee; 06-02-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:14 AM
Senior Chief

I've never seen this combo having the "&" sign in the ACC spot. Anybody?
This car is a 4 cyl, with a 76Y motor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2648.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	381351  

Old 11-08-2014, 03:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've seen this a couple times before and each case it looks like the & stamps are over other stamps. My guess is covering a mistake.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Fisher Body Firewall Tag '63 Lemans

From a 1963 Lemans 2 door coupe I parted out a while back:

The car was a 326 V8 car with a automatic transaxle. Dark Metallic Burgundy exterior with a black interior. Manual steering and no power brakes. One speed windshield wiper motor, no washers. The car had factory back-up lamps, LH side fender mounted cable remote mirror and an AM radio. It also had the optional rear bumper guards. May have also had front ones too. When I bought the car it had been damaged in a front end collision so that part of the car, I just can't fully remember.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	63LemansCoupe.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	381383   Click image for larger version

Name:	63LemansCoupeFirewallTagLLA.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	381384   Click image for larger version

Name:	63LemansCoupeAddOnAA.jpg
Views:	34