Old 01-10-2014, 08:41 PM

Default Torque Tube Bushings

I posted my problems on this link 5/2013 to 6/2013 and finally have the clutch, torque tube and transmission out of the car. 1963 Pontiac LeMans 326, three speed manual. I've got all the parts required to fix the clutch and having a pilot bearing machined but I'm desperate to locate two each torque tube bushings including the rubber? assembly. Mine are chewed up badly. The vehicle has 67,000 original miles and found after I bought it, the new clutch was installed incorrectly among other major problems. I know how rare these bushings are but if anyone out there can help with a working pair I would be forever (AND THAT'S A LONG TIME) in your debt. I'm located in Oceanside, Ca. about 40 miles north of San Diego. Your help wold be greatly appreciated. Mike with the beard

Old 01-10-2014, 09:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Does anyone know if all these bushings are different for each application or are they all the same?

Old 01-10-2014, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't have any of this stuff, but here are the pages from the parts book. Appears to me that there are no differences between 62-63 4 or 8 cylinder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	page1060.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	348921   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.601.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	348922  

Old 01-10-2014, 10:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Part numbers

Gary, My parts book lists the following part numbers: Group 5.601, Propeller shaft : "Insulator, damper bearing"--1961 pn#539517 and 1962-1963 pn#541662, but it lists one bearing for all 61-63 as pn#907193.
So, all the ropeshaft cars used the same bearing, but the 61 cars used a rubber insulator different than the 62-63 cars, which used the same insulator.
Jerry

Old 01-10-2014, 11:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Bill and Jerry, I was hoping the insulator would be the same on the 62-63 even though he needs a V8 3speed and I have 62 4 cyl automatic insulators.

I will dig some out over the weekend and Mike can see if they fit.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:47 AM

Like I said earlier..too bad we can't scan and 3-D "print" a duplicate of the torque tube insulator for those who really need one. Couldn't be that expensive compared to no longer available at alll !!!! If we're going to keep this engineering design going we have to embrace the "new" technology. NOS stuff is drying up !
JK

Old 02-01-2014, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question bearing insulator repair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefkey View Post
Like I said earlier..too bad we can't scan and 3-D "print" a duplicate of the torque tube insulator for those who really need one. Couldn't be that expensive compared to no longer available at alll !!!! If we're going to keep this engineering design going we have to embrace the "new" technology. NOS stuff is drying up !
JK
Since there are no new bearing insulators being manufactured and there is probably not enough demand for them to get anyone to make them, it occurs to me that a do-it-yourself type repair kit could be devised for repairing insulators that are worn but with the bearings still being in good shape (or perhaps after putting a new bearing itself in an old insulator). I have read that it is not uncommon that original bearings remain in good shape even though the insulator rubber has deteriorated.

Basically, my concept is to have the old worn insulator rubber sandwiched in between pieces of new rubber held in place by metal plates and held altogether with through-bolts, somewhat like as shown in my attached sketch drawing.

I assume that the original insulator rubber hardness is in the range of Durometer Shore A 70 rating. Whatever it is, it could be that the new rubber pieces could be only half the thickness of the original rubber and that would give the equivalent stabilizing force as the original insulator. The thickness of the metal plates could be varied as necessary with thinner plates being optional.

Similarly, once the unit is assembled, the new rubber pieces could have slots cut in them similar to the original rubber pattern. Also, the metal plates could be glued to the new rubber pieces.

Through-bolt sizes and location could be varied as needed. It may be that some bolt holes could be located on the outside perimeter of the insulator’s metal bearing retainer ring to keep it in alignment with the new rubber and plates.

Perhaps some of you hot-rodder (Keith, that is) can try something like this idea and see how it works. I am sure that there are a great many guys that can improve upon my basic concept, so, have at it.

P.S. If it hadn’t been so damned cold I probably wouldn’t have taken the time to draw up something like this on my grandson’s PAINT program.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BEARING 4 (600x399).jpg
Views:	106
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	351494  

Old 02-01-2014, 05:27 PM

Great Idea, but I'll bet there would be as much demand for a torque tube bushing as there is for many of the other rubber replacement parts on the market that are 1963 Tempest/Lemans specific. I think I'll contact Steele and some of the other aftermarket suppliers to see what interest they might have in reproducing these insulators. Will probably be expensive, but compared to "not available at all", who cares.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Can anyone tell me how to remove them from the bearing without damaging them? I got a set for Mike but one began to rip apart when I tried to remove it. A heat gun was not any help either.
Gary

Old 02-01-2014, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can't remember for sure but I'm thinking that the bearing is pressed into a metal sleeve that is permanently attached to the rubber? I'll have to dig out my spare to see.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DB3.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	351541   Click image for larger version

Name:	DB4.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	351542  

Last edited by TempestFugit; 02-01-2014 at 07:56 PM. Reason: add a picture
Old 02-01-2014, 08:35 PM
Senior Chief

I found this previous thread on this topic. Scroll to post #28. I hope this helps.
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...acement&page=2

Old 03-12-2014, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question torque tube insulator bushing

Quote:
JK
I have recently contacted a fellow that (on a small scale sideline business) makes replacement rubber and plastic parts for automotive parts, trim, etc. I have asked him about making these rubber insulator pieces and he feels that he could make them. He has no concerns about being able to make the rubber adhere to the bearing housing ring.

I need some more detailed information about the pieces.

Since the bearings themselves are readily available, I consider that the project would consist of making up a new insulator by using either an old bearing housing ring or by using a new ring, which, in either case, the buyer would have to furnish and ship to the fellow.

I assume the housing ring itself is nothing more than a ring with one inside rim slightly beveled to facilitate pressing the bearing into. Is that correct?

It appears that the bearing is recessed slightly into the ring. Is that correct?

Does the outside diameter of the ring have any tabs or projections that protrude into the rubber itself?

What is the overall height of the insulator?

What is the overall width of the insulator?

What is the overall thickness of the insulator?

The most important item is the Durometer reading (hardness) of the rubber itself.

Does anyone know what the Durometer reading of the rubber is?

Of course the biggest question is: What is the demand for such an item and what would a buyer be willing to pay for one of them?

What is the current or recent selling price for a new one of these insulators?

I do not know the fellow who makes parts nor do I have any financial interest in such a project. Unfortunately, I do not have one of these insulators that I could furnish the fellow for his inspection.

I owe the fellow a return E-mail about this matter so any info that anyone could furnish me would be appreciated. Photos with dimensions would be great.

Thanks!

Old 03-12-2014, 05:07 PM

I have a NOS bushing that could be used for him to reproduce new ones from....send me a pm and I'll give you my email address and we can discuss it.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question torque tube bushing

Quote:
I have a NOS bushing that could be used for him to reproduce new ones from....send me a pm and I'll give you my email address and we can discuss it.
I have contacted the fellow and furnished him approximate dimensions and a photo of the piece. He responded that he is interested in following up on the discussion, indicating that he would like to have a new insulator for precise measurement and Durometer testing and an old one for dismantling and inspection. He has assured me that any new one sent to him would be returned to the owner undamaged.

At this point, I am frankly disappointed that there has been little to no response to any of the questions I posed in my original post. One would think that despite all of the complaints of the unavailability of these insulators, there are apparently very few owners that are interested in getting new ones reproduced.

I note that there are posts on this topic going back to 2005 and at various times mention was made indicating that new insulators were available from various sources.

Does anyone know of anybody that is reproducing and selling these insulators at this time?

Does anyone know what the current or recent price is for one of them? (E-bay? other?)

What would someone be willing to pay for a new one? (Without bearing? With bearing?)

I was surprised when the fellow said that he possibly could reproduce the bearing housing rings. (I know that he has availability of machine shop facilities.) If he could indeed furnish his own rings, that would set up the possibility of his being able to furnish a completely new insulator with bearing installed. That would eliminate the cost of a buyer having to send an old insulator (or ring) to him.

I would urge all owners to respond to this post since it appears that this is a real opportunity to have these parts reproduced. Of course, the 61 Tempest pieces are different than the 62-63's but I am confident that the 61's could be reproduced if there is a demand for them.

This could be an opportunity of developing a source for other pieces/parts such as shifter boots, taillight gaskets, etc. that are not now being reproduced or available.

As I have mentioned, I don't know the fellow, I have no financial interest and I have no need for these insulators. I am doing this only for the benefit of the Tempest owners.

Thanks! Please respond.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:24 PM
Senior Chief

I have a torque tube that I'm keeping for a spare and it needs this. If the price can be kept reasonable, I'm in.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

x2 that

Old 03-15-2014, 11:11 AM

I would be in for a set for my wifes car.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Depending on the cost, I would be in for at least 2 sets! Maybe more!

POCI.org
Old 03-16-2014, 12:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Me to

Old 03-16-2014, 02:48 PM

i would buy 2