Old 04-10-2021, 11:37 PM

Default 1972 GTO Spring and shock Recommendations

I’m in the process of rebuilding the chassis on my 72 GTO hardtop - car will eventually have a 400 or a stroked 460 with m21 trans. No AC currently but may do an aftermarket kit in the future.

Car will be a summer daily driver and not looking for anything too radical - I was thinking a of a lowering spring (would like to keep the car somewhat stock height but wanted it a bit lower)

Can anyone recommend a good front and rear spring and shock combo? Or any thoughts would be great.

Old 04-11-2021, 12:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I suppose it depends on what you’re after. I have UMI 1” drop springs all around and Bilsteins on my ‘68 with 17” Year One Rally IIs. With a fatter sway bar up front, it feels pretty taught for the boat it is.

I had KYBs on it for a long time. Didn’t hate them, didn’t love them. The Bilsteins are definitely more stiff.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 04-11-2021, 09:52 AM

How is the ride quality with the umi springs? Is it a harsh ride ?

I’ve had other cars (smaller mind you) with coil overs and poly bushings and they handled awesome but ride quality was very harsh on the roads.

Old 04-11-2021, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don’t know if I’d call it harsh, but it’s definitely stiff. It’s likely a combo of the springs, shocks and sway bars rather than just one of them. The bigger front sway bar made the most difference. I haven’t run the springs with the stock bar, that might be a good test.

Old 04-12-2021, 02:55 PM

I have UMI 1" lowering springs, front UMI uppers with .5" taller ball joints,, stock lowers with new rubber bushings and ball joints, rear adjustable UMI uppers and tubular lowers, and UMI sway bars on my 71 Cutlass. My shocks are still the Monroe's that were fresh on it when I bought it. The ride firm, compliant and predictable but not harsh. New shocks might do me good, but it really rides nice as it is.

Old 04-12-2021, 04:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

BMR upper/lower tubular A-arms up front on my 70 GTO and adjustable upper control arm on rear with UMI shock tower brace with Viking coilovers and poly bushings.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 04-12-2021, 06:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

What's your budget? There's ways to spend a lot of a little.

UMI/BMR kits are great, but they aren't cheap and may be overkill for something that lives on the highway and you just want a slightly better stance to look at.

Old 04-14-2021, 10:04 PM

Probably the Cheaper the better - car will see 90% highway (we live in a rural area), would like to somewhat daily drive it in the summer, use on weekends for cruising etc.

Old 04-15-2021, 02:39 AM

If you don't mind the current ride height just going to a nice shock like bilstein will make a very noticable improvement. I'd say start there and see how you like it, then do some 1" lowering springs if you decide you want lower and more firmness. Shocks are easy, comparitavely inexpensive, and will give you a good chance to get under there to inspect your bushings and steering components for wear.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:15 AM

Thanks - for the info, car is at the frame off point and I need to replace everything anyway (bushings, springs, brakes etc) i need new springs anyway and I wouldn’t mind having the car a bit lower than stock - that’s why I was thinking of a 1” lowering spring- just wasn’t sure if the new spring rate would be a lot stiffer etc

Old 04-15-2021, 02:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What kind of control arm bushings are you using?

If you use OE type, you need a more OE spring rate. If aftermarket, you should use a higher spring rate. It's important to know what you're going to use, it does make a very noticeable difference.

Is it an endura bumper car? That too makes a difference on what rate to run, considering the added weight on the far-most of the front. (leverage). '72 isn't as heavy as the 70s, so won't make as much a difference.

I would recommend the Global West springs, the 1/2" drop should be fine. You have to call them though, and be clear on what you have and what you want.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-15-2021, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm inclined to agree with hwystr455 here.

Run factory control arms with new bushings, make sure the steering system is rebuilt.

Run either the Global West spring or I also think the SPC springs would be a good choice if you want to go just slightly lower than the 1" or so you get with the Global West offerings.

Add a quality shock like the Bilstein HD or Koni Classic and if you want to handle a little bit flatter, add helwig sway bars front and rear.

Modernized alignment after install and go enjoy it without reinventing the wheel.

Old 04-15-2021, 02:11 PM

Yeah I’m going with quality oem rubber bushings - yeah it’s a 72 gto/endura front end .

Old 04-15-2021, 02:13 PM

Thanks guys - I’ll be honest and we live on a mile or two of gravel (I drive slow in the gravel)- past cars I’ve owned with poly bushings/coil overs have always been a bit too rattley for me. I’ll look into the springs and shocks mentioned.

Old 04-15-2021, 02:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Poly doesn't make a car more harsh of a ride, total misconception. But sounds like you have a path forward...

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-15-2021, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
Poly doesn't make a car more harsh of a ride, total misconception. But sounds like you have a path forward...

I can make it squeakier though. Make sure you use plenty of grease!

Old 04-15-2021, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnturboz View Post
Thanks guys - I’ll be honest and we live on a mile or two of gravel (I drive slow in the gravel)- past cars I’ve owned with poly bushings/coil overs have always been a bit too rattley for me. I’ll look into the springs and shocks mentioned.
Sometimes noises can be conferred as harshness. Poly can squeak, but typically you shouldn't really see a lot of extra NVH transmitted through a poly bushing, or a quality solid bushing for that matter.

The rubber will be fine for you however, and if you want to do something simple to help even further, add some rubber spring insulators top and bottom on both the front and rear springs in the car.

Old 04-15-2021, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the info guys - it’s appreciated

Old 04-22-2021, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Coil Spring Specialties can build you a spring to your specs. I used theirs on my 72 with 1" lowered built into it.