THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-15-2023, 09:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterp266 View Post
Decided to check it out.

If you select which catalog your car fits in and also select the year, you can just type all in the part number box and every part available for your car will come up. From there you can select a sub section if you want. Hope that helps. Not sure if that worked on the old site or not.
Not much different than before. I still stand by its too difficult to navigate. Having a physical catalog in front of you is still needed.

Although I get 90% of my stuff from Ames, the websites of other suppliers are far superior at this point. I was looking for chevelle stuff last night, you simply hit the tab for the model year, it opens up to a list of sub categories, ie. drivetrain, body, inter. etc. You then hit on one of those ie. body and a list of all available sheet metal parts comes up with descriptions, price, part no. etc. click the button to put in the cart. Basically the same for every website I have ever ordered from (except Ames).

Old 07-15-2023, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I’m a dinosaur. I look at the paper catalog, call and talk to human.

Old 07-15-2023, 09:59 AM

I wonder what is so difficult for some to use the new website? When the search page opens up, from the left you choose catalog, year, section and subsection. Then on the right you see all that is in that section or subsection with photos, parts number, price , quantity and add to cart-functions. You don't need parts number to browse the page.

How much more simple do you want this?

Old 07-15-2023, 10:49 AM
Senior Chief

x2, i don't see the problem.

Old 07-15-2023, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would think that Ames would have prefaced the new website introduction with a Tutorial highlighting changes from the old website to the new and a navigation guide rather than having its customers figure it out on their own. Maybe its in the works, but it should have been before..

As much time as the 'Beta' version was in development, I didn't see any attempt to reach out to members of their sponsored site for evaluation.

On the plus side, I believe this new website is much easier to use plus it now has what I was looking for; a wish list!

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Last edited by OG68; 07-15-2023 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-15-2023, 11:44 AM
Senior Chief

I tried to log in, they say I'm not a previous customer (after 8 years). I had to sign up again, create a new password to go with my email address. They have my previous orders, but not my address, phone # or anything else.

Looks to me like the site creator left out a bunch of things. Sigh.

Old 07-15-2023, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
It associated my account with the new website and I can look at all my previous orders, very handy, but that seems to be the only real difference so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny;
I had to open a new account, and they asked if I was an existing customer. I said yes, but there was no way to associate my customer ID number with this new account. If they get this set up well, it will allow me to look up previous orders which would be great.
I lied... or at least I failed to dig deep enough and assumed incorrectly. I'm good at that.

They did associate my account and I do have access to previous orders. This is a valuable improvement IMO. I wasted lots of time chasing proof of purchase, then had to waste an Ames employee's time to find it. With this online access, I would have found it in a minute.

Mike

Old 07-15-2023, 02:51 PM

I just tried it out. I did what others had suggested. Picked model, picked year, and entered a 1 in the part number box. I had access to all parts for my car. I signed in with an Android. I still prefer a hard copy for browsing though.

The Following User Says Thank You to Skidmark For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2023, 11:03 PM

It worked for me. I chose Model, Year and Search (wiper motor) and everything associated with wiper motor for my car came up. They do need to perfect it though. Upon logging in, it should recognize me and bring up the Category list and complete stock of parts for the PRIMARY vehicle I listed. They also could make it easier to add to the Wish List from the category page.

It's new and will take time to learn to navigate, especially us old goats.

The Following User Says Thank You to GtoFM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2023, 04:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekheavy View Post
I like the fact you can now see your previous orders.
Been buying items since 2010 but no record of any purchases….would have been nice

Old 07-17-2023, 05:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Much easier to use and the order history function is a nice addition. Thanks Ames!

1974 Trans Am, 400 4-speed, 3.42 rear.

Old 07-17-2023, 07:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I too ordered a new catalog to look thru. If I need any parts, I call them.... unless they're trying to cut back on us calling with this new site.

I use other vendors for parts too. The only one I stay away from and never use is Year One. Their prices were out of site before Covid. I can only imagine how much more "thru the roof" they are now.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 07-17-2023, 08:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Unless I missed it, no paypal?

65 Tempest, 400, TH400
86 Fiero SE 2.8
Old 07-17-2023, 09:27 PM
Senior Chief

I tried ordering parts for my Firebird yesterday, but the site would not let me complete the order. It said error. I tried twice but no luck. I guess I will have to call tomorrow.

The Following User Says Thank You to jerry455 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2023, 07:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For everyone complaining, LOL, it was now easy to look up parts and see exactly what you're looking for. If you want to browse you can download the PDF of any catalog. Should that be normal on that website? Sure but it was probably a cost of remaking the website. This new one is far superior to the old one.

Old 07-18-2023, 07:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
Not much different than before. I still stand by its too difficult to navigate. Having a physical catalog in front of you is still needed.

Although I get 90% of my stuff from Ames, the websites of other suppliers are far superior at this point. I was looking for chevelle stuff last night, you simply hit the tab for the model year, it opens up to a list of sub categories, ie. drivetrain, body, inter. etc. You then hit on one of those ie. body and a list of all available sheet metal parts comes up with descriptions, price, part no. etc. click the button to put in the cart. Basically the same for every website I have ever ordered from (except Ames).
SO I did just what you said. From the home page I hit GTO, 1966, and searched BODY. This is the page that came up.
https://www.amesperf.com/parts/searc...1966&term=Body

Look what's on the left hand side. Should that be on the home page? You bet. It's one extra 5 second step.

Old 07-18-2023, 08:54 AM
Suspended

Many won't be looking for something specific, just wanting to browse. Many items purchased are not planned or even thought of before seeing them.