1982-92 TA & FB TECH 1993-2002 TA & FB Tech is now part of the new Late Model Section of the PY Forums. Click this link to check it out.

Old 06-09-2003, 04:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Iron man Pull the back seat out get a real long extension and take out the two bolts that hold the trunk lock jam in. Open the trunk and remove the lock then take it to a locksmith. $15 you got keys.

Old 06-09-2003, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You can use the front sway bar from a 3rd generation F body on the 78-87 G-body cars. You can also buy a dual exhaust system from Jegs for about $100.00. The front springs from a S10 and the 3rd generation F-body will also work. A lot of 78-87 El Caminos used a posi rear end and are easy to find. The radiators from a 3rd genration F-body also work in a G-body, some used electric fans.

Old 07-16-2003, 09:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How is this for an upgrade

Who ever thought pinewood derby cars would lead to this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AUT_3414.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	22532  

http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...out/index.html
86 Grand Prix
535 High Port 8.93 @ 153
65 GTO
433 High Port 12.04 @ 113
Old 07-17-2003, 08:44 PM

i suupose that's one way to solve the rust problems!

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-17-2006, 12:07 PM

Way back when this thread was going hot and heavy, financial considerations required me to sell pretty much everything I had in the way of Pontiac. I've recently acquired a 1973 Luxury LeMans...and I still have the 1981 Pontiac Gran Prix body that started this whole shebang. Re-reading the amazing amount of information and advice that you've all made available re-ignites the desire to drop a Pontiac V-8 in the 'Prix and go racing. Drive the LeMans, race the 'Prix. It's still great reading and to all who volunteered their hard-earned knowledge, thank you very much, you're the best!

Old 01-22-2006, 07:15 AM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up go for it

knowing this info was on the board when i did the swap in my 79 Lj would have made life easier. here are some things i've learned...
there are no OEM 28 spline axles that will fit a 7.625 carrier in a 7.5 rear housing.
no matter what some people have told me, you can put a 3" tall air cleaner under a factory hood, and it won't rub anything.
rear exit, cast iron exhaust manifolds fit perfect. and cost a hell of a lot less than some fancy pants $500 headers.
a 301 radiator that won't keep a 301 cool, won't keep anything bigger than that any cooler. i had that figured out pretty quick.
a th350 tranny fits no problem, seeing as how the case is the same as the th200....however, if you have a factory console car, the shifter cable bracket for the th200 won't fit the th350 pan, because of the difference in number of bolts. a z/28 bracket will fit with the help of a dremel and cut off wheel.
use a trans cooler.
i've learned 7.5 rears, so far, are stronger than most people think. i mean, realistically, what do most people do with their cars? they drive them, around town. it's like the whole 4bolt main thing...how many times do you drive through town and break a crank? my 7.5 went through many power break sessions with the 301, and that was with a 2.19 gear. now i have a 350 and a 2200rpm stall, with 3.73 cogs. and it hasn't gone anywhere yet.
and the 350 is a pontiac 350, thanks.
a big lesson i've learned is pontiac stuff is waaay more expensive than i thought it was, and dollar for dollar, it's not as fast. at least i'm being honest.
and the main thing i learned doing this swap...and no one believes me, cause people are stubborn, and think everything they read is true...
301 alternator/power steering, and even a/c brackets fir older pontiac heads. it's true. i did it. it worked, and it's still working. just make sure the heads you have have the lower corner holes tapped. i have 1970 heads, on a 71 block, with 79 301 brackets. no more of that 'make sure you have the right brackets for that motor' stuff.
and i've learned there are way more questions than answers.
but i'm still learning