1982-92 TA & FB TECH 1993-2002 TA & FB Tech is now part of the new Late Model Section of the PY Forums. Click this link to check it out.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:47 AM

My 78 has the two-tone treatment with both greens (with the 60/40 cloth interior) The lighter shade is on the hood, roof, and trunk lid down to the bottom of the lid.
My plans are to have it repainted but I'll just go with the darker shade because of the door jambs and under the trunk lid, for simplicity.
I never cared for the tape stripe they used to separate the two colors.
By the way, the two-tone in 78 was called the "Appearance Package" and cost $165. At least with the green it's kinda hard to see the two shade difference, not worth paying $165 back then, but I bought mine off the lot. It's fully loaded, that's what I like(d), so I took it the way it was.
The 79 two-tone brought the separation down low on the side also...lots of tape stripe to peel up! Steve

Old 01-20-2007, 11:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Question Slight direction change...

Had an 80 GP with the W-37 option, I liked that car and had a soft spot for the Lemans/Grand Am too.

Anyway NASCAR banned the LeMans after Daytona one year. It was the one with a slopping nose, an 81. Everybody showed up with Regals, you know bricks on wheels, and Bobby Allison showed up with this slick LeMans and blew everybody's door off. Didn't win the race due to a tech issue but the car dominated qualifying and the race. The LeMans was on the approved list since 78 but it was a brick then too. When the front end styling changed its aero characteristics were enhanced. NASCAR etablishment ganged up on the Pontiac (yet again) and had rule changes made to make it non competitive. Am I right on this?

I found a photo of it on e-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1981-BOBBY-ALLIS...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by BR57; 01-20-2007 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up Let's make this a new thread

I remember that car well, BR. I've got a 5x8 glossy b&w photo of that in my collection. It was owned by Harry Ranier. Actually, Bobby Allison would have won the race, but his team got out smarted by Richard Petty's on the last pit stop. Maurice Petty waited to see what Allison did on the last stop. When the 28 car changed tires, Petty came in and just put fuel in, no tires.
Since it was under green, That bought Petty enough time to stay out in front till the checkered flag.

The 78-81 Lemans wasn't eligable for Winston Cup until 1981. Hence, that was the first time anyone attempted to use that body for the Daytona 500.
There were '81 Grand Prixs in that race too. Harry Ranier was the only one who had the guts to go against the grain.
Also, The '81 Lemans race car ran several more races in 1981. It even showed up in a few 1982 races with Benny Parsons. After that I guess it was outlawed for good.

With the apearance of the Monte Carlo SS in 1983, everybody forgot about the Lemans

Old 01-20-2007, 10:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default New Thread started under 75-81 Pontiac

Thanks Tin Injun Tom for the history on this. It was a nice car and I remember cheering for it. I have taken your suggestion and started up its own thread. NASCAR is beginning to get big here and they even have an office in Toronto and a raceway just north of the city with the NASCAR Experience and store but it still is hard getting any information from the papers or news casts. I don't know why this is because the Monte Carlo SS and Impala SS are made here in Oshawa ON. Dale Sr. and Dale Jr. even visited the line before Dale Sr. passed and then Ron Fellows from Mississauga ON did drive for DEI in the road races. Dodge Chargers are made here too, in Brampton ON.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:12 PM

The car is now in the for sale section. Thanks Robert

Old 03-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just ran accross a very interesting 78 LeMans 4-door in a salvage yard in Hagerstown MD. Must have been a goverment car, plainest Lemans I have ever seen, 3.8 V-6 Auto, no A/C or pwr accessory's, radio delete, dog dish hub cap car. Too bad the fron seat and Carpeting was already gone, as the rest of the interior was mint, the car also had no rust & only a small crease in the rt rear 1/4. Black/Black car. Amazing what some states consider Junk.
I just brought back a 83 Cutlass Cruiser wagon with a bad engine from MD. Paid $310.00 for it, rust free body with a good interior, and I already have a slighty built 3.8 buick/200R4 combo to replace the 3.8 with a massive oil leak and rod knock, metric 200 combo in the car. But I did spend $385.00 in gas, and had to spend time with my Older sister while I was out there. But I still think it was worth it.

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old 03-10-2007, 10:56 AM
Senior Chief

i'd love to have that radio delete panel...and the heater box and controls...wonder how far a drive hagerstown is from bristol...hmmm

Old 03-11-2007, 09:20 AM

Poll: Which would be cooler? A radio delete plate or an original AM-FM Stereo with CB?

Old 03-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Senior Chief

there was a time when i wanted an am-fm-cb radio for my car...and i'd still like to have one, they're just expensive. i got a front clip off of a gp that had the cb, but the front clip was all that was left(you can tell by the antenna bracket and hole in the pass. fender). however, since my car has went from ac and factory cassette deck to non-ac and no radio, the delete plate would be spot on...plus i'm running steel wheels with pontiac dogdish caps, probably like the ones on the 4dr mentioned above. i guess it just depends on the intentions of the owner

Old 03-24-2007, 06:48 PM

Default 78 Grand LeMans

Just going to look at a burgundy/burgundy 87 Grand Lemans - 305/3 speed auto (not running and out of car) Car has some rust but seller states is solid. He is asking $500 Canadian (about $420 US). Going to go fishing for $350 - then put in a 350 chev (oh, the horror) and a 700 or 200 4 speed auto. I am changing the 7.5 rear in my grand prix for a 8.2, so I can throw it in the LeMans for ****s and giggles - 3.73 posi. WTF! You guys ever see those Iraqi Taxis? 4 door Malibus with a 3 speed standard, a pile ended up here as cabs when exports were blocked (during the Iraq-Iran war IIRC).

Old 04-20-2007, 01:15 PM
Senior Chief

How is the car coming or did you sell it??

Old 04-20-2007, 06:36 PM

A member on another G-body site didn't know a 350 engine had been offered in a G-body. Yep, the 78 Lemans wagons offered the 350 with a 4 barrel...high altitude engine.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:24 PM

Default lemans

Car was not too bad, but the guy didn't have registration on it. He bought it off a friend who moved afterwards and he can't find him (so he says). Pretty much useless if I can't insure it. Was a 305 3 speed car. Needed a hood, windshield and 1/4 bottoms. Too much work, going to see a 65 Bonneville in May hopefully, that would be a nice ride.