1982-92 TA & FB TECH 1993-2002 TA & FB Tech is now part of the new Late Model Section of the PY Forums. Click this link to check it out.

Old 02-24-2003, 12:55 PM

I have the adapters, I need the motor mount pedestals (frame mounts). I got the adapters from OPG before I discovered Performance Years. The adapters came in an Indian Adventures box. They look like they need some re-working, the nuts aren't welded flush to the adapter plate. With Paul Spotts Pre-Spring Sale maybe now would be a good time to order another set of adapters. His are much more affordable. I wouldn't mind some warmer weather either, it was five-above this morning and it's predicted to be seven-below tomorrow morning.

Old 02-27-2003, 05:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The s-10 steering box will bolt in. I used 70 Firebird mounts in the second one I did[because I could not find 301 mounts] and the motor sat a little lower than the 301 mounts. Hooker GTO headers fit with a little grinding on lower a-arm mounts.

Old 03-04-2003, 09:01 PM

re the engine mounts try a set of stands and brackets from a 74-7 g/p they are slightly taller than the bird mounts.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 03-05-2003, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

IRON MAN
I used the manual box off my 65 GTO on my 83 Grand Prix. I just them off near the splines and welded them together. Seams to be ok. Also I took a set of 64-72 GTO/70-81 Firebird headers to a local exhaust shop and for $25 he rerouted two tubes on the driver side. With some cutting on the lower control arm mounts, hammering on the tubes, and too much time involved I got them to fit pretty good. Let me know and I can send you some pictures of them.

Mike

I have all the heater/AC stuff out of my car still. It’s an 83 Grand Prix I gutted and Pro-streeted. Let me know what you need. I’m in NW Ohio.

Also I am thinking of selling my 3-core radiator. It’s wider than the original and built with larger tubes like the ones use in semi trucks. New never used, I just want an aluminum one.

http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...out/index.html
86 Grand Prix
535 High Port 8.93 @ 153
65 GTO
433 High Port 12.04 @ 113
Old 03-06-2003, 05:06 PM

what i'm looking for is NON-A/C ductwork that's behind the dash.

as usual with my projects the part that's missing is impossible to find.

mike

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 03-07-2003, 12:50 PM

You mean after all this searching, the motor mount stands out of a '74 to '77 would have worked all a long? Like the ones in the '77 Gran Prix (w/sunroof) in the salvage yard twenty-miles south of here? I sold my '77 301 Gran Prix last spring, I gave away a '79 301 Gran Prix last fall, but when I need 301 mounts it turns out they're a rarity. Figures. I've found a '65 Catalina behind a body shop (rough) and there was a '76 Ventura on the Trading Post today. I'm about ready to change projects. It is good to know the S-10 steering box, the three-tube headers, and the 8.2 rearend will all work. Thanks for everybodys input. Iron Man

Old 03-11-2003, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a set of the motor mount brackets (metal) that bolt to the block from a 301 G-body. You can also get the mounts that bolt to the frame from any parts store.They are metal re-inforced with rubber.thepontiacman@yahoo.com

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
Old 03-20-2003, 08:21 AM

Thank You, Pontiac Man! You really are the man! I can buy the frame mounts at O'Reilly's for $24.53 for the pair! Progress at last. Life is good again. Thanks again!

Old 03-23-2003, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you are looking for ether d or round port headers that were made for the 78-87 GP check out
78-87 Grand Prix & 78-81 A body headers

with out questions there can be no answers

1969 Grand Prix
9.947@133.53(1.358)
6.246@107.91(1.342)
WARPed Tepee Forums
alex@pontiacgroup.com

Old 03-31-2003, 08:58 AM

Well the Gran Prix idea withstood a serious challange this weekend. My fourteen-year old son acquired a 1966 tempest four door, overhead cam six, two speed trans, etc. It has a good frame under it. We debated doing the frame swap but we've decided to go ahead and pull the engine, trans, and rearend from our '66 two-door and transplant them into the '81 Gran Prix. We'll then swap the frames in the Tempests, re-build and re-install the 326, find a four-speed to re-place the three-speed and fix it up as a father and son project for my sons first car. And the 'Prix will be my plaything. I'll try to put to good use everything I've learned about modifying these cars in this forum. Thanks to everyone, I'll sure I'll need your help again.

Old 04-16-2003, 01:46 PM

On an un-related note. My Gran Prix has been sitting several years. I still have the ignition key but the trunk and door lock key is lost. Short of knocking the lock out with chisel how can I get the trunk open? I took out the glove box lock and took it to a locksmith. He said he could make a door key that would open the glove box but not vice-versa. Something about the door lock having more tumblers. Suggestions? Idea's? Some one want to hold the chisel while I hit it? Thanks, Iron Man.

Old 04-17-2003, 08:37 PM

call your local pontiac dealer and have them get you the key codes.if they cut keys they should also be able to cut one for you.

they come with the phs documents so the dealer should still have access.

mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 04-23-2003, 03:34 PM

Iron man, invest in a lock pick set or make friends with a cop or P.I. that'll pick it for you.

Old 04-23-2003, 09:53 PM

P.S. If you don't wanna pay the $$$ for a turbo buick rear, look for an '84 to '87 Hurst/Olds or 442. They have the same 8.5" 10-bolt rear with a more desireable 3.73 gear ratio as opposed to 3.42 for the buicks. The monte ss and grand prix 2+2 had the weaker 7.5" rear with a 3.73 ratio with od trans or 3.42 for the 3 sp. auto. The 2+2 came with a 3.08 ratio exclusively. F.Y.I. The 7.5 inch rear out of an s10 pickup fits as well, which could be had with as high as a 4.10 gear ratio with the manual trans equipped, non-A/C, 4 cylinder models. I'd go for the 8.5" 10 bolt, as it can be as strong as any 12 bolt if treated to the right minor upgrades.

If you decide to keep the power steering setup, you can get the quick-ratio steering gearbox out of any g-body equipped with the heavy-duty F41 or sporty FE2 suspension package (denoted on the RPO code sticker on the inside of the decklid, or equipped with the 1.25 or larger diameter rear sway bar.) The steering box from a 3rd gen IROC Z28 or trans am will work as well.

Regarding transmissions, don't discount the 200-4r as a performance competitor. I've seen well built 200's hold up to 500+ horsepower, and they some with BOP pattern bellhousings. The best cores are found in turbo buicks and olds 442's and H/O's. Send one to Art Carr or Level 10 in Nj., you won't be sorry, I promise... Just make sure that you get a good tranny cooler as this model is prone to overheating because of the lock up convertor.

Regarding the crossmember, there is a company that manufactures awesome true dual exhaust capable transmission crossmembers. I ordered one for my 1987 442 back in the day and it fit like the factory designed it. There should be a link off the g-body org website, if you're interested (and it's not there) let me know and I'll find the name.

I've done quite a few engine swaps on the 12 g-bodys that I've had over the years. Each one was a challenge, but well worth the effort. If I can be of any assistance, let me know. I wish you the best of luck!

Old 05-06-2003, 07:49 PM

Ive read this entire thread with alot of interest because I have several similar projects in the works at this time with an 86 G/P and a 83 Bonneville wagon.

One thing that really caught my interest was the use of rears in these cars. I have a 8.5 3:42 posi from a GN as well as some 7.5 3;73 rears that Ive been saving for these cars. I also have a few 64s that Im working on and my question is would it be posssible to but the g-body reat under my 64, what would I hve to change and would I gain any extra tire clearance? Just curious .
Thank

Old 05-10-2003, 12:25 PM

64 tempest, see this thread...

http://forums.performanceyears.com/g...1&m=2166032911

Your answer should be here. Good luck.

Remember, anyone can urinate on the floor. Be a hero, defecate on the ceiling.

Old 05-25-2003, 03:26 AM

If anyone is interested, here is the link to the website that features the true dual exhaust capable transmission crossmembers...

www.crossmembers.com

Good luck everyone.

Old 06-03-2003, 11:42 AM

Killer crossmember! The a/c/heater block off was nice too! Thanx!

Old 06-05-2003, 08:45 AM

I bought a 1979 GrandPrix about a month ago. It came with a '77 400 block, with 670 heads, 068 Camshaft, stock exhaust manifolds and dual 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back. It has a TH400 with a 7.5" rear with an auburn posi unit 3.42:1 gears. When I find a floor shift steering column, I will be installing a mid-80's Iroc Z/28 steering box because it bolts right in and has a very quick ratio (can't remember off the top of my head). My dad uses the same kind in his '66 GTO's. Currently I just bought an entire four speed pedal set up with all the peices required. The pedals fit 78-87 G Body's but were only offered on '78-81 cars. I plan on using a M20 instead of the Th400 and changing the cam to a 443/465 with 212/224 duration at .050. Along with a set of 1.65:1 roller rockers and a double roller timing chain. I just think it's cool that I'm not the only one who's "hot rodding" G body grandprix's around here! Also, on a side note, anybody have any idea's what this car should run if everything is in good working order on street tires? I have a set of vintage slotted aluminum rims in 14x8 on the back and 14x7.5 up front, with pep-boys cheap-o $55 a tire on there because I'm 19 with no money. Just thought I'd share, good luck with your project!!! These G-body's are total sleepers when they're done right!

-Adam

All the parts and the car pickled away for now, college and work got in the way of my fun. But hey, they say the average car guy project lasts four years from start to a satisfactory completion.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:22 AM

You're not kidding about the potential of these g-body's. I've owned about 16 so far at various times and all responded VERY favorably to drivetrain swaps and minor other mods. If the GTO had lived on into the eighties, it would have been well represented by the g-body platform...