1982-92 TA & FB TECH 1993-2002 TA & FB Tech is now part of the new Late Model Section of the PY Forums. Click this link to check it out.

Old 02-17-2005, 08:26 AM

Does anybody know if a 350 will fit in a 78 G/P?
It a stright froward bolt in or will any mods have to be made. Will the front springs have to changed because of the extra weight?

Old 02-17-2005, 08:26 AM

Does anybody know if a 350 will fit in a 78 G/P?
It a stright froward bolt in or will any mods have to be made. Will the front springs have to changed because of the extra weight?

Old 02-17-2005, 08:32 AM

if the car's a 301 from the factory [i assume the replacement engine is a pontiac] it'll be pretty straight forward. the mounts may need moved and if it's an early 350 you may need a set of the mount adaptors.

we really need a bit more info to completely answer this.

orig engine in the car?

new engine brand and year of block? chevy/ buick/olds/pontiac?

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 02-17-2005, 09:47 AM

Mike,
The car is factory 301. The replacement I am thinking of is GM performanceparts 350 create motor

Old 02-17-2005, 01:30 PM

being the engine you're wanting to install is a chevy the following will have to be changed/ modified / moved.

wiring harness, chevy's accessories are on the opposite side from a pontiac, including the a/c.

a/c condensor is different [lines routing ect]

transmission will need changed if it's not a unibolt unit. the car may or may not have a unibolt in it being a 78.

motor mounts are different, location will need changed.

exhaust will be different.

starter will be different.

all the engine accessory brackets will be different.

fan shroud will be different, may be modified to fit tho.

the springs will be close enough as the 301 is slightly lighter than the sbc.

personally, i'd build a mild 350/400 pontiac and install it as it'll be less change over and probably comparable economy.

move the engine mounts, a wider y pipe [if single exhaust],a clean 4 core radiator[ you'll do this regardless of what engine i hope] and you'll be close to being set.

if you do this swap right the car will pass visual and should pass emissions also. [ most current techs can't tell a 455 from a 267]

mike

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 02-17-2005, 05:35 PM

Mike,
Thanks a lot for the info. I can get my hands on a orginal 400 out of a 75 bonnevile. Being that this is a smog motor would it be a good canadiate for a rebuild assuming the heads and block are ok? or should I look for something a little older?

Old 02-18-2005, 08:14 AM

the 75 engine will be a good canidate, be sure to get all the accessory brackets and the flexplate with it.

the 301 stuff is specific to the 301 /267 block so it won't interchange.

the 75 will also have to mount holes that you'll need. save the 301 engine mounts you'll need them for the swap.

mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 02-18-2005, 11:35 PM

I second installing a 400 - since your car is a 301, the 400 is as close to a direct drop-in as you can get.

You can run the stock front springs with a 400, too.

Old 02-21-2005, 03:02 PM
Senior Chief

I have a similar question, but for a 78 Grand Am. What engine is recomended for the swap when emisions is an issue? I want to keep it streetable with performance and keep some reasanable fuel economy (>10 mpg )

Old 02-22-2005, 12:43 PM
Senior Chief

I would do a 350 or 400 for a cruiser.. 350's are easier to find and can still run well without screwing up emissions or economy ..

Old 02-23-2005, 12:17 PM

iowapub, what emissions regulations do you have to conted with on a '78 vehicle? I'm fortunate in that in my state, any vehicle older than 25 yrs is exempt - and my state is pretty strict. I think you could meet your goals with a mild 400. I know if it were me, I'd be kicking myself for not going with the bigger engine later on...but that's just me.

Old 02-23-2005, 01:21 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 455guy:
I would do a 350 or 400 for a cruiser.. 350's are easier to find and can still run well without screwing up emissions or economy .. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think this all depends on where you live. around here the 400 is what you find the most.
350's aren't as common.

mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 02-23-2005, 01:26 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 79GP6.6L:
iowapub, what emissions regulations do you have to conted with on a '78 vehicle? I'm fortunate in that in my state, any vehicle older than 25 yrs is exempt - and my state is pretty strict. I think you could meet your goals with a mild 400. I know if it were me, I'd be kicking myself for not going with the bigger engine later on...but that's just me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i agree on the cid comment.

i'd bet on a 78 the main concern will be a visual inspection. the 75 400 should have enough emissions to pass this. egr,vapor canister ect. the vapor system should adapt over from the 301 in the car.

a high flow convertor should clean the exhaust up also.

a mild cam in this combo will really wake this car up.

throw a 3:23 diff in it from a monte ss and you won't know it's the same car.

mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 02-23-2005, 08:31 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks everyone. Here's how Delaware emmisions inspections break down:

1967 and older: No emissions check

68-80: Idle test. Tail pipe test @ idle

81-95: Two speed test. One @ idle and one @2500RPM

96 to current year: On board diagnostic.

Current 5 years: Exempt

I've also heard that if I replace the engine, it has to be the same year or newer. I want to keep it legit and current. Are there any 80's
V-8's that are worthy of the swap that'll drop in easily?
I don't need crazy power, but more than the, what? 135 hp 301?

thanks again.........

Old 02-23-2005, 09:44 PM

Pontiac produced 400's through 1979, so if the part you heard about the engine year is true, you can still do it. Years ago I was able to pass the idle test with my mildly modified 400, so I know it can be done. If you retain all of the emission devices, you'll have a nice street machine that can pass the idle test.

As far as 80's options, it gets more complicated. 80's GM vehicles were corporate powered, meaning Chevy powered. Nothing from your Pontiac 301 will bolt up to a Chevy engine, so you would have a lot more work to do if you went this way.

Old 02-24-2005, 03:17 AM
Senior Chief

So...it appears as though I should look for a 1979 400. A smooth, quiet rebuilt is what I'm looking for, something I can put 100,000 miles on without too much concern.
Thanks for the help!

Old 02-26-2005, 01:09 AM

Watch youreslf on this one. Can't speak for where you live, but am cetified for IM inspections in two states and they both follow the Federal suggested guide lines, which generaly apply to engine swaps in the manner you stated. Problem is the general guidelines state you must use a powerplant that was FACTORY available for your car the year it was produced, and if from a newer year you must also fit ALL the emmision equipment for the powertrain from the newer year model and fit them to your vehicle. I can only suggest before you put too much effort in this you contact your local authorities to be sure. (I also went through this with another car and it was pure hell as I was unprepared and not fully understnding the laws involved.