Old 06-08-2013, 07:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
The rear end I doubt is original, (made after the car by around a week) but other than that its my Perfect idea of an SD! I would have to drive it..cant have that sitting! .Love the color combo, although nearly every restored #247 interior looks a bit different. Cant find many excuses NOT to own it, aside from its Not a Formy.. but its white!
I'd paint the car black so it matches my Formula. :-)

Old 06-08-2013, 07:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is that where they stamped the partial VIN on the transmission for the SDs?

Old 06-08-2013, 08:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The vin is on the driver side of the trans. From the looks of that Hydra-Matic name plate that car was in rough shape and with only 10k+ miles makes one wonder a bit???
Looks like it was restored well though and hope it finds a great new home!

Last edited by Brewster; 06-08-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No, 110,000 miles. The eBay listing from 2010 says the engine was rebuilt at 85,000 miles.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

UGH SD parts destruction....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230994582639...S:1123&vxp=mtr
I wrote the guy a note as I have some interest in these...
here is my note>>"HI, these heads were 111 CC from the Factory, so yours were Ported AND angle milled?? to get to the CC you are now advertising for them?I am thinking that these heads MUST be run with that intake now? " End Quote..
His Reply>>"that is correct"
This is SAD.. makes ya want to &^%&%...heads are worthless unless you want to ruin another intake AND get deeper dished pistons, in which case these are not worth 3K..( cant imagine how CLOSE to the block the RA exhaust manifolds must be, IF you can even make them work). Rant over..... sorry couldnt help myself..

Old 06-12-2013, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorta sad that they've been so extensively re-worked, Bruce, but if'n SD Dave really did the work they're great heads.

Could have the intake side machined the proper amount so that any stock intake would fit . . .

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 06-12-2013, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know about the angle milled part?

SD Performance did them, they probably know what was done to them.
Off-hand, the heads should have the intake side milled also so any intake can be used.
(if done right)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 06-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

13cc is alot to reduce without an angle mill, its why I was specific in my question. If angle milled the manifolds have got to hit the block..obvioulsy that intake wouldnt work for any T/A application...
On the other hand maybe the seller isnt sure what he knows...

Old 06-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why would you need to angle mill a round port head to get it into the 98 to 100 cc range?

The 455-inch round ports have large, open chambers and volume can be reduced by 1 cc for each .005-inch cut from the deck surface. Removing .060-inch from the deck surface would reduce combustion chamber by 12 cc.

Using the .005 inch-for-1 cc formulation, we successfully reduced the chamber volume on a set of 7F6 castings from 108 cc to 100 cc by removing exactly .040-inch from the deck surface. We poured the chambers before and after, so we could be absolutely certain we were at our target compression ratio. Having known they were milled slightly during a previous rebuild, and that was likely .010 to .020-inch at most, the 108 cc we started with makes 110-111 cc a logical starting point in original, as-cast form.

The 7F6s have a chamber shape practically identical to the SD-455 16’s. The seller claims “about 98 cc” for his SD-455 heads in the eBay auction, and that seems like a reasonable amount to me when considering that Dave Bisschop likely milled them .050 to .060-inch.

While popular on certain other makes, angle milling isn’t overly popular in the Pontiac world. With that in mind, angle milling could present a host of other issues most Pontiac hobbyists might not consider. Besides milling the intake and exhaust flanges an equal amount in opposite directions, depending upon how much angle is milled from the deck surface, it can require elongating the cylinder head bolt holes, modifying certain coolant ports, and relocating or modifying the dowel holes.

While the photos can make it difficult to see all those points, I don’t necessarily see anything that would indicate these particular castings were angle milled. I think these are nothing more than a properly ported set of SD-455 heads that have been cut to a maximum of .060-inch on the intake and deck flanges and will install on any engine without issue. Am I missing something obvious?

Old 06-13-2013, 12:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Rotella View Post
Why would you need to angle mill a round port head to get it into the 98 to 100 cc range?

The 455-inch round ports have large, open chambers and volume can be reduced by 1 cc for each .005-inch cut from the deck surface. Removing .060-inch from the deck surface would reduce combustion chamber by 12 cc.

Using the .005 inch-for-1 cc formulation, we successfully reduced the chamber volume on a set of 7F6 castings from 108 cc to 100 cc by removing exactly .040-inch from the deck surface. We poured the chambers before and after, so we could be absolutely certain we were at our target compression ratio. Having known they were milled slightly during a previous rebuild, and that was likely .010 to .020-inch at most, the 108 cc we started with makes 110-111 cc a logical starting point in original, as-cast form.

The 7F6s have a chamber shape practically identical to the SD-455 16’s. The seller claims “about 98 cc” for his SD-455 heads in the eBay auction, and that seems like a reasonable amount to me when considering that Dave Bisschop likely milled them .050 to .060-inch.

While popular on certain other makes, angle milling isn’t overly popular in the Pontiac world. With that in mind, angle milling could present a host of other issues most Pontiac hobbyists might not consider. Besides milling the intake and exhaust flanges an equal amount in opposite directions, depending upon how much angle is milled from the deck surface, it can require elongating the cylinder head bolt holes, modifying certain coolant ports, and relocating or modifying the dowel holes.

While the photos can make it difficult to see all those points, I don’t necessarily see anything that would indicate these particular castings were angle milled. I think these are nothing more than a properly ported set of SD-455 heads that have been cut to a maximum of .060-inch on the intake and deck flanges and will install on any engine without issue. Am I missing something obvious?
Thanks for that, Obviously I really wanted an explanation of what was done, and I am more familiar with getting more cc with angle milling ( on other gm brands) I have been screwed by that a couple times. So consensus is that ,the intake , a person would use with these would need to be be milled and port matched? Question stands, can a stock SD intake or a performer go on these ? Thanks for all the input

Old 06-13-2013, 06:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i wish i had seen these heads a few months ago, before i bought some Eheads. i have a old 74 SS car we are putting back on the track as a bracket car and these would have served the purpose of looking right but running better.
these and the warrior intake would have looked period correct.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm guessing that the heads would accept a standard SD-455 intake manifold, or possibly a Performer. The intake ports don't look overly sized to me. However, I do notice that the exhaust crossovers have been filled.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with Rocky.

Good thing with Pontiac heads, is to mill the intake side is same as the head/block side.
No need to use trig to figure out how much to cut.
(when straight milling the head/block surface)
i.e. .060" cut on head and .060" cut on intake side
That way any intake can still be used on the heads.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 06-13-2013, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

easy problem solver.
from past experience on my previous SD build from back in '94........

Use stock Pontiac head gaskets and be done with it.
The stock gasket measures in around .060", while the aftermakets are around .035".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ta.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	326385  

Old 06-26-2013, 09:51 AM

Default Super Duty New Owner

Well I have to say. I have built many Boss Mustangs, Boss Cougars, 428 cars and Mopars. But I got the bug for a F body and built this 70 blue T/A. The car is just amazing, I injoy it so much that I had to also purchase this 73 SD. I guess i'm hooked!!
Thanks guys
Ken Maisano
Mascar Auotbody & Paint

Name:	IMG_3779.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	327723

Name:	IMG_3802.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	327724

Old 06-26-2013, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Hooked

Beautiful cars!! Anyone would be hooked if they had those two. Also, nice lookin shop

Old 06-26-2013, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome to the SD world!
Please post specs on the car and where it came from...?
Nice looking wheels and wish you many happy miles of enjoyment.
Cheers,
Brew

Old 06-26-2013, 11:09 AM

I purchased the car from my Business partner and he bought it from RK Motors about a year ago. The car came out of Texas, all numbers match and I have over 200 pictures of
the car being restored. It looks like it was a very nice survivor before the build. I also have
plenty of original paper work. The VIN ends in 666 does any have anymore history on the car? I would like to track it back as far as possible.
P.S. I do have the original wheels.

Thanks.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I remember a white '73 SD that was owned by Jim Bachman in San Diego many years ago. He sold it to Bruce Broussard from Beaumont, Tx, Bruce passed away and the car wound up with Patrick Joiner in Austin, Tx. Not sure it where it went from there.....could be the same car. This would have been about '01-'04.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by W72-Bandit View Post
I remember a white '73 SD that was owned by Jim Bachman in San Diego many years ago. He sold it to Bruce Broussard from Beaumont, Tx, Bruce passed away and the car wound up with Patrick Joiner in Austin, Tx. Not sure it where it went from there.....could be the same car. This would have been about '01-'04.
Paul - if'n I had even 1% of your memory capacity I'd consider myself a blessed man!

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98