1982-92 TA & FB TECH 1993-2002 TA & FB Tech is now part of the new Late Model Section of the PY Forums. Click this link to check it out.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:53 PM

I don't think a car with Grand in the name...Grand Lemans, Grand Prix, Grand Marque...should have crank-up windows.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I disagree. I am quite glad that my GP has cranks...fiddling with 30 year old power accessories gets real old.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:54 AM

Hi, I bought a 78 Grand Am from Arizona back in Feb 2006. I paid $1500.00 for it. The trans was bad, the engine is OK and the interior was crap. Luckily the body is in good shape. I paid $750 to ship the car to NY. I'm sure there is someone crazy enough to pay for the car like I did. If "They" want it they will pay for it. Hold out for a good price.

Try using Craigslist.com.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:45 PM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up 2g2 vin

Ah, It was you!! That car was gone when I called about it, probablly a year and a half or so.. The seller said some guy had it shipped to N.Y. Light Green with a bench seat right? Low miles, or flipped and stated as low miles.
I have your email and will keep in touch. I'm shipping 4 to Iowa in the morning.
Hauling one myself this weekend, 2 more next week.
Someone else in N.Y has a 4 speed with no air and a 78 and 80.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:45 PM

No, that wasn't me. The car I bought is light blue(originally silver) with bucket seats and a console.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:48 PM
Senior Chief

Its got to be the same car. I'll check the flyer when I get home. I may be confused on the color and seat. Send me all the chrome and interior plastic, since your changing it out.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:25 PM

This car came from a guy with a trans shop in AZ. He sells "classic cars". This guy wasn't so honest like he said.
I sold the seats and console already. I'm gonna hold on to everything else for now.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:11 PM
Senior Chief

Default final highjack

ok, it was silver blue with snowflakes. Looked like a bench seat, but only one photo, so I was guessing. "5 star cars" out of Tempe. **Low Mileage**
tilt wheel, 76,084 miles!!
last digit of your vin is "1".
Same car. Looks straight and clean...from the one photo.
good luck with it. Let me know when you're getting rid of the 78 door panels.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:14 PM

That is the exact ad. That's the car.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:30 PM

SO finally we have decided that we are going to sell the car. I have not came to a conclusion as far as price yet. But if anyone wants to make an offer that is not ridiculous go ahead. When I get a better idea for my asking price I will post in the for sale section. Thanks Robert

Old 01-13-2007, 02:47 AM
Senior Chief

Exclamation V-6 Grand Ams

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowapub
I think he was refering to the Grand Lemans as well.
While we're here, all 78-80 Grand Ams came with a V8. Either the 301 or the 305 for High Altitude and Claifornia emissions. All were automatics, except a few 79's that had 4 speeds.

That would say that all 78-80 Grand Am 4 speeds had the Pontiac 301, unless someone knows a of a V6 Grand Am....
Not to start a quarrel iowa, but I have heard of two or three 78-79 Grand Ams that came factory with a 231. Someone turned up with one in the registry about two years ago. When I questioned it, he verified it with the VIN. I almost caughed up a carrot when I saw that.
Of the two or three I know about, I think all are '79s. There was a guy in Goshen, Ind. that had one and I intend to go check that one out if I can find out where he lives.

It's been disputed whether or not there were any 4-speed '78 Grand Ams.
Technicaly, it was 'optional' but until I see one parked somewhere, I say they didn't produce any. It is a matter of mathmatical odds. Since there were roughly twice as many 1978 coupes vs 1979 produced, How come I have yet to see or hear about any '78 4-speeds,,, while in the same time period, I've seen or heard about dozens of '79s.
I've been spotting 2nd Gen. Grand Ams since 1980, mind you.
iowapub is probably one of very few people who has personally met or corresponded with more 78-80 Grand Am owners than I have. I'm not saying that to brag, I just want to make it clear that I've spotted and looked at alot of these cars in the last 25 years. No '78 4-speeds yet.

Old 01-13-2007, 07:23 AM

I should really stick with GP discussions, but since I have the resources....
The 78 Product Manual states std engine for GA is 301-2 or 305-2 with the only optional engines as 4 barrel versions on each. So, "technically", a 231 wasn't available.
Std trans for 301-2 was automatic with 2.29 axle, 301-4 was automatic with 2.41 axle, 2.73 available. Hope this helps. Steve

Old 01-13-2007, 12:53 PM
Senior Chief

Tom, I would like to know more about these v-6 cars. I'm still learning. Heck, there is a 78 4 door on ebay with buckets seats and a consol!!

My 79 dealer option book dosnt offer a v-6 grand am, but if you knew someone anything is possible.
I could order a new Sostice with a Sky front end right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ponti...spagenameZWDVW

Old 01-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by srercrcr
The 78 Product Manual states std engine for GA is 301-2 or 305-2 with the only optional engines as 4 barrel versions on each. So, "technically", a 231 wasn't available.
Steve, I'm certain that you are correct with that acessment. I was refering specificaly to the existance of 4-speeds in '78 Grand Ams in the second paragraph, regardless of what engines were available.

Iowa, I talked with a guy in Elmhurst Illinois four years ago, that owned both a '79 4-speed, and a '78 4-door that had bucket seats and center console. I think he said the latter was black, and quoted to be in 'mint' condition.
I never got to check out his GAs because he abruptly moved to NC.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:04 AM

it seems to me, and this is totally from memory so i may be f.o.s., that we had 1 customer with a green 78 g/am with a 231 in it. it was an auto car, low miles and butt ugly. it was also unmolested as far as major drivetrain work.

we also had a bronze one out with a 267 in it.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-15-2007, 10:13 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike nixon
we had 1 customer with a green 78 g/am with a 231 in it. it was an auto car, low miles and butt ugly. it was also unmolested as far as major drivetrain work.

we also had a bronze one out with a 267 in it.

mike
I only know of one shade of green for 1979 Grand Ams; two, possibly three for 1978. But the 1978 Seafoam/Mayfair green GAs have always been more commonly spotted. So it's probable that your memory of the year is correct.

But I wonder if the car in question could have been a Grand Lemans?
Unless you deemed the car 'butt ugly' because in your eyes the 2nd Generation Grand Ams have an ugly front facia. I won't get mad at you if that's the case, somebody else used that exact description when they saw my '78 GA years ago.
Or was it just the color that didn't cut it for you? I know lots of people just don't like green on a car.

Concerning the 267 car; We know '80 GAs only came with 301, or 305.
So if the above mentioned car was a GA, than it would have to have been a '79 model. I suspect it was originaly a Canada produced car. I know 1980 Canadian Lemans generaly came with 267 instead of 265 as the base V8.
Perhaps the '79 Lemans base V8 was also substituded with a 267 rather than the 301 2bbl.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:49 PM

265 is what i meant to type, my fingers just didn't cooperate, and my brain didn't catch it. we figured it was a factory mistake. it came in for major top end engine repair an i ran the numbers when ordering parts.

re the green g/am, it was definitely a g/am not a grand lemans. the color is what made it butt ugly in my book. that shade reminds me of puked up guacamole, this car had the interior to match. it was an old couples car at the time and didn't have 30k miles on it in 1990.

i remember it because i thought the 6 was an odd choice for the g/am. it was common in the lemans of that era. if it weren't for the color it'd been a good canidate for snatching up and storing.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-19-2007, 12:22 AM
Senior Chief

Now, if I only knew what shade puked up guacamole is, I could probably pinpoint the year.
I'm going to assume it was probably a '79 for now. Mayfair green (1978 only color) was an 'eye of the beholder' color, I'll grant you. My '78 GA had that color vinyl seats/interior. It was the lighter Seafoam exterior. I think the Mayfair cars looked good, when they had white interiors, JMO.

That other car you said was 'bronze' with a 265... Must have been Fremont gold over Ontario gray? One of only six colors available on 1980 Grand Ams.
Yeah, that definately would have to be a factory mistake, maybe one of the very first ones off the line? Unless the original purchasers had some good inside connections with a factory rep, and had one built with the 265. They must have been concerned about fuel mileage or something, if that was the case.
Or maybe it was possible, if you had the right connections, to get the 265 as a delete option.

Last edited by Tin Injun Tom; 01-19-2007 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:01 AM

As to the interior color, the 77 and 78 had the Sage Green (also referred to as Dark Sage Green). The 79 and 80 had the (Dark) Willow Green. The latter had more yellow in it.....see pic link below.
As the original owner of a 78 green, all I can say is I like it, and really appreciate not having to look at an all-slate gray interior or all-tan interior which is about all you get nowadays. Also the 70s was a decade of vibrant colors, especially in fashion. The cars sort of reflected that.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f8...illowgreen.jpg

Old 01-19-2007, 11:27 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by srercrcr
As to the interior color, the 77 and 78 had the Sage Green (also referred to as Dark Sage Green). The 79 and 80 had the (Dark) Willow Green. The latter had more yellow in it.....
Thanks for educating me on that, Steve. I didn't know that GM designated different names for the interior colors vs. exterior colors, even though they are basicly the same color.
Also, all I had to do verify the color Mike Nixon was refering to was cross reference the thumbnails on post number 19 on this thread. That Grand Lemans is Seafoam Green. It may be the only A-body with Dark Sage Green cloth interior I have ever seen.
Mayfair Green has the same tint as Seafoam, only several shades darker.
I estimate Mayfair Green cars out-numbered Seafoam Green cars 4:1. That's based on the frequency of sightings of each color, over twenty-plus years.
TOM