Old 03-27-2012, 06:42 AM

I emailed Thad too

Old 03-27-2012, 06:45 AM

I just messaged Big Injun as well.

luke

Old 03-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Beginning back in the mid-90s I fell in love with "GTO Wagons" and vowed to someday own one. I looked and looked and finally found a solid project car...I thought. What I had hoped to be a fun driver during restoration turned into a full ground up restoration.

The concept behind my build was to emulate the way they flat towed the GeeTO Tigers back in 1966 with GTOs. In my case, I just happen to be using a GTO Wagon.

Here is my '66 Tempest Custom Wagon as purchased...

...and here is my GeeTOW Wagon near completion as she sits today.

The wagon features a 467 built by myself and Ken "Ace" Brewer of Pacific Performance Racing with Edelbrock heads built by Dave Biscchop of SD Performance. It dyno'd at 560 hp and 590 lb. ft. of tq all in by 5600 rpm.

It is backed by a custom converter and 4L85E built by A&W Transmissions in Irwindale (an old friend of my Dad's and racer from the 50s, 60s & 70s). Out back is a Moser M9 fabricated rear with 3.70 gears. Brakes are from SSBC. I am running a hydroboost from Power Brake Service. G-Force developed a new crossmember to handle the 4L85E swap.

The exhaust is a Pypes 3-inch system with cross-over and cutouts. We did some custom work in the rear to clear the spare tire well. Pertronix provided the Doug's Headers.

The beautiful wheels are Old School Retros that are Hurst look-a-like wheels (that I sell http://4mypontiac.com/Wheels.htm). I am running 18x8 inch wheels on all four corners with BFG tires. I also have a pair of Micky Thompson ET Street Radials to help her launch.

The complete suspension is from Global West...control arms front and rear, springs and sway bars.

The interior features front bucket seats from a 2009 G8 with the rear seats built to match. I am using a Covan dash with gauges from Classic Instruments. Year One provided all of the interior and small trim parts and I am using the new wiring harness from American Autowire. The interior is insulated and sound deadened by RAAAMat. A Vintage Air unit will keep me cool running down the road.

Speaking of running down the road, the GeeTOW is schedule to appear at Tiger Run (in Redmond, OR), the GTOAA (in Loveland, CO), the POCI (in St. Charles, IL), Norwalk and Omaha to finish off the summer.

You can see more of my build at http://4mypontiac.com/GeeTOW.htm.

For GTO Celebration items click the tile coaster.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are a few more shots. The Pypes Exhaust, the Global West front suspension & steering and my engine with the Billet Specialties serpentine system. Also attached is my custom dash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pypes-System1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	279642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Serpentine-PY.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	279643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash-w-gauges-ac-E.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	279644  

Old 03-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Nice to see you are farther along with this car Dave. Did you have to clearance the floor any to mount the 4l85e? My 2004r has the billet parts,(built by Jakeshoe), but if I ever decide to install a 4l80e, I am curious to what may need to be done. I already have a G force crossmember, but it is for a TH350/400/2004r. Nice peice you found there with that rear air foil over the window as well. How does it cruise by the way?

Old 03-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Shook1, you should also check out Station Wagon Forums.com. Lots of interesting cars and info on there as well, and they have an all Pontiac section.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatwgn View Post
Nice to see you are farther along with this car Dave. Did you have to clearance the floor any to mount the 4l85e? My 2004r has the billet parts,(built by Jakeshoe), but if I ever decide to install a 4l80e, I am curious to what may need to be done. I already have a G force crossmember, but it is for a TH350/400/2004r. Nice peice you found there with that rear air foil over the window as well. How does it cruise by the way?
I had to use a BFH on the tunnel towards the front to clearance for the cooling lines. The rear air foil was a NOS piece that I purchased for $40 on eBay...it was the opening bid.

The wagon will be on the road in the next few weeks.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I know that this is about wagons but I have seen a 66-67 GTO El Camino here in town, its very nice looking and it could be mistaken as factory if you did'nt know better.Maybe Pontiac missed the boat by not building these and wagons.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Schab View Post
I know that this is about wagons but I have seen a 66-67 GTO El Camino here in town, its very nice looking and it could be mistaken as factory if you did'nt know better.Maybe Pontiac missed the boat by not building these and wagons.

Is this it?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	elcamino gto.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	279759  

Old 03-28-2012, 07:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

HPP did an article a while back on a '65 El Camino that someone had turned into a GTO with Pontiac sheetmetal, engine, and interior. That is an interesting combination Shook1 with the '68-''72 Body on that El Camino, with the '66 front end grafted on.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Injun View Post
Here are a few more shots. The Pypes Exhaust, the Global West front suspension & steering and my engine with the Billet Specialties serpentine system. Also attached is my custom dash.

I had a Pypes crossover on my convertible. I had to have it replaced with an "H" set up, becouse the crossover hit every single speed bump or dip I came accross. I had the same problem with the headers. I went beck to stock with them. I probably lost horsepower, but it's better than loosing the bottom of the car.

Luke

Old 03-28-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
What, no woodgrain on the dash? You just have to add woodgrain to the dash.

Luke

Old 03-28-2012, 12:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Schab View Post
How about some pics?

Old 03-28-2012, 12:51 PM

I found this rough wagon for sale on the west coast. Any one out there want to build another GTO wagon?

http://www.dansgarage.net/pontiac.htm
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	west coast wagon.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	279787  

Old 03-28-2012, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
HPP did an article a while back on a '65 El Camino that someone had turned into a GTO with Pontiac sheetmetal, engine, and interior. That is an interesting combination Shook1 with the '68-''72 Body on that El Camino, with the '66 front end grafted on.
Here's one that was at a show out here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN5841 small.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	279788  

Old 03-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Name:	als car.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	279819
Quote:
Originally Posted by shook1 View Post
What, no woodgrain on the dash? You just have to add woodgrain to the dash.

Luke
Put that on mine years ago. My personal favorite.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Taylor View Post
Here's one that was at a show out here.
This may be the same car. I thought it had Tri power on it, but I may have been wrong. This car looks like it came that way. Years ago I saw a '64 2 door wagon made into a delivery (with no back side windows)- with a '64 GTO front end and side sheetmetal on it. Don't know what drivetrain it had, or if it had a Pontiac interior. Just saw it going down the road one day and never saw it again.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Name:	als car 1.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	279820

Name:	als car 2.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	279821

Name:	als car 3.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	279822

Name:	als car 4.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	279823

Name:	als car 5.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	279824 Here is the rest of the pictures I have found in my files at this time. The outside shots were taken in July of 2000, the engine shot was taken about 2 years ago. I installed carpet in the back to make it more plush and quiet instead of the old vinyl covering. With the new weather strips, it is airtight and rides like a Cadillac with a little exhaust noise. The 2 1/2 Flowtech mufflers and RA exhaust manifolds are pretty quiet until you step on it.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Beginning back in the mid-90s I fell in love with "GTO Wagons" and vowed to someday own one. I looked and looked and finally found a solid project car...I thought. What I had hoped to be a fun driver during restoration turned into a full ground up restoration.

The concept behind my build was to emulate the way they flat towed the GeeTO Tigers back in 1966 with GTOs. In my case, I just happen to be using a GTO Wagon.

Here is my '66 Tempest Custom Wagon as purchased...

...and here is my GeeTOW Wagon near completion as she sits today.

The wagon features a 467 built by myself and Ken "Ace" Brewer of Pacific Performance Racing with Edelbrock heads built by Dave Biscchop of SD Performance. It dyno'd at 560 hp and 590 lb. ft. of tq all in by 5600 rpm.

It is backed by a custom converter and 4L85E built by A&W Transmissions in Irwindale (an old friend of my Dad's and racer from the 50s, 60s & 70s). Out back is a Moser M9 fabricated rear with 3.70 gears. Brakes are from SSBC. I am running a hydroboost from Power Brake Service. G-Force developed a new crossmember to handle the 4L85E swap.

The exhaust is a Pypes 3-inch system with cross-over and cutouts. We did some custom work in the rear to clear the spare tire well. Pertronix provided the Doug's Headers.

The beautiful wheels are Old School Retros that are Hurst look-a-like wheels (that I sell http://4mypontiac.com/Wheels.htm). I am running 18x8 inch wheels on all four corners with BFG tires. I also have a pair of Micky Thompson ET Street Radials to help her launch.

The complete suspension is from Global West...control arms front and rear, springs and sway bars.

The interior features front bucket seats from a 2009 G8 with the rear seats built to match. I am using a Covan dash with gauges from Classic Instruments. Year One provided all of the interior and small trim parts and I am using the new wiring harness from American Autowire. The interior is insulated and sound deadened by RAAAMat. A Vintage Air unit will keep me cool running down the road.

Speaking of running down the road, the GeeTOW is schedule to appear at Tiger Run (in Redmond, OR), the GTOAA (in Loveland, CO), the POCI (in St. Charles, IL), Norwalk and Omaha to finish off the summer.

You can see more of my build at http://4mypontiac.com/GeeTOW.htm.
Would like to make it to Norwalk if I have the chance. Do you happen to know that date off hand?

Old 03-31-2012, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Attachment 279820

Attachment 279821

Attachment 279822

Attachment 279823

Attachment 279824 Here is the rest of the pictures I have found in my files at this time. The outside shots were taken in July of 2000, the engine shot was taken about 2 years ago. I installed carpet in the back to make it more plush and quiet instead of the old vinyl covering. With the new weather strips, it is airtight and rides like a Cadillac with a little exhaust noise. The 2 1/2 Flowtech mufflers and RA exhaust manifolds are pretty quiet until you step on it.
that wagon looks exactly like a 67 wagon converted into a gto wagon that i sold at the nationals in wichita, ks back in july of 1998.