THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2023, 04:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default oh noes...put it back!

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/07/15/...duction-texas/

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350

Last edited by Stuart; 07-17-2023 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-17-2023, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure if someone already posted this. There is a Tesla dealership getting built just around the corner from me. I will get to see (and maybe drive) what Tesla has to offer in person. It is in Bucks County, Pa.(Warminster)

Old 07-17-2023, 09:22 PM
Senior Chief

Oh my gosh is that truck ugly. I am sure all of the Tesla fanboys will be going crazy over it.

Old 07-18-2023, 12:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE=dhcarguy;6440719]Not sure if someone already posted this. There is a Tesla dealership getting built just around the corner from me. I will get to see (and maybe drive) what Tesla

Don't accidently drive it under a door...lol 😋

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 07-18-2023, 04:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default watch where u goin...

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/07/18/...on-adas-fatal/

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 07-19-2023, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There was pretty interesting article in the last Car and Driver about window sticker milage ranges for new vehicles during their tests for normal driving. It said of the gas powered vehicles tested, the average range was 4% higher than advertised. EV’s tested where 14% lower than advertised. Tesla on average was 23% lower than advertised. The Tesla model S was over 30% worse than advertised, rated at 405 miles, but only went around 270. It was commented it had an advertised longer range of 163 miles than the Porsche Taycan that they tested (which was higher than advertised), in actual real life, the distance was only 40 miles. Lol, guess it is still better…That’s not including the battery software update’s that has reportedly made some Tesla owner’s unhappy because they lost more range.

Old 07-19-2023, 11:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Maybe they were charging their phones...

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 07-19-2023, 04:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I assume reported ranges are under ideal conditions (i.e. not with the air conditioning on)? Just something I ponder during this crazy heat wave.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 07-19-2023, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post
I assume reported ranges are under ideal conditions (i.e. not with the air conditioning on)? Just something I ponder during this crazy heat wave.
Actually It is the cold weather that really kills a Tesla's Range.

Since they utilize a heat pump the A/C is actually pretty efficient.

One of the the best features of my Y Performance is you can swipe the climate control icon and then tap KEEP and the car will stay at the selected Temp. generally pick 67 degrees on HOT days in a store while shopping.
There is also a dog mode or you can pick a temp for cabin overheat protection as well.

If you live where Forest fire smoke is thick there is also a bio defense mode that will clean the particulate smoke out of the air as well.

99.97 % of particulates and .3 micrometers in size which does include smoke sized particles.

https://youtu.be/Dx9wrIfqhjM?t=24

67 White/Gold GTO 4 speed sold, 1968 GTO 4 speed sold, 1969 GTO auto sold, 68 Firebird 400 4 speed (455) sold, 65 GTO Night Watch Blue 4 speed sold, 64 GTO Nocturne Blue 4 speed sold, 71 GTO Gold auto sold. 1975 Formula 400 auto sold.
Hopefully to be restored, H-"O" Racing 73 Trans Am SD 4 speed,
Sons 70 Formula 400 auto, and wife's 1974 AMX 360 auto, 1975 Jeep Honcho 4x4, 1965 Buick Special post
Old 07-20-2023, 11:26 AM
Senior Chief

Hot rod rules still in the hard drive, Mr. Wangers asked if it'd be faster w/out the A/C running (warm day - had to keep the feller comfy!) ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr. Wangers goin' plaid 04:10:23.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	616419  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tenney For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2023, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a friend with a model 3 (I think thats what its called). He just took an extended vacation travelling about 3 weeks on the road. He was very happy with the overall experience. Said the biggest issue was thinking ahead about where to stop for a charge and that it took awhile when doing so.

Old 07-21-2023, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

At the end of the day you'll never be able to get a car charged in the same amount of time you can fill a gas tank. The EV is an answer to a question few people are asking.

Musk has already determined that a wholesale switchover is absolutely impossible due to the aged electric infrastructure. Trillions of dollars to upgrade it, and 30 years of time. I'll be dead and buried before it happens, if it happens. Color me gasoline.

The best thing for our atmoshere is quit cutting down trees, and plant more. Plant life needs CO2 to exist so why aren't we planting more trees?

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2023, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
At the end of the day you'll never be able to get a car charged in the same amount of time you can fill a gas tank. The EV is an answer to a question few people are asking.

Musk has already determined that a wholesale switchover is absolutely impossible due to the aged electric infrastructure. Trillions of dollars to upgrade it, and 30 years of time. I'll be dead and buried before it happens, if it happens. Color me gasoline.

The best thing for our atmoshere is quit cutting down trees, and plant more. Plant life needs CO2 to exist so why aren't we planting more trees?
How Many Trees Are Planted Every Year? What Types and How Many Should You Plant?

According to compiled statistics, including the United Nations Environmental Program, approximately 1.9 billion trees are planted yearly.1

This statistic also estimates that close to 158 million trees around the planet are replanted every month. And out of the 158 million trees, 5 million are replanted each day, and approximately 7 thousand are planted every minute.1

The world plans to plant at least 1 trillion trees by 2030.

https://8billiontrees.com/trees/how-...ted-each-year/

Old 07-21-2023, 04:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default i can make car noises on taaco tuesday... 🌮

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/07/21/...-electric-car/

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 07-21-2023, 04:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry455 View Post
Oh my gosh is that truck ugly. I am sure all of the Tesla fanboys will be going crazy over it.
It’s unique !
And spoken like a Jealous person Vs an open minded individual.
Why are Tesla people fan boys . ? What are you, about a Pontiac that’s far slower? You’re not a fan boy? Wtf is it w people attacking Tesla, a company that’s supported free speech and protected America . Leaving China for its oarts and going to India because China is aggressive .
Open your eyes and see what in front of you. It ISNT telsa forcing EVs on you. But I can assure you I am NOT a Tesla fan but IM a
Person who can see a better car when it’s in front of me. I don’t let the rest of the BS cloud my judgement I’ve owned
Mopars. Fords, chevies, Pontiacs , teslas Japanese’s cars, Italian cars , English cars etc . I can tell you my Tesla plaid is better all around than all of them . For certain things I prefer certain cars. . Love my Pontiac for things I wouldn t use my MGA wouldn’t use the MGA for things I’d use my hellcat, but if I need the best all around car and I can only have 1 it would be the Tesla plaid . If they had a convertible pick up that was rare , I’d never need another car . 😂

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 07-21-2023, 04:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They are currently being repossessed at a surprising rate...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1YWI25PKQs

Old 07-22-2023, 01:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Tesla chased and PITted by state police

If you went far enough, they would always run out of charge before the police ran out of gas.
The Arkansas staties don't play that game though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glCD5rwujmU

Old 07-22-2023, 03:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69bird View Post
It’s unique !
Why are Tesla people fan boys . ? What are you, about a Pontiac that’s far slower? You’re not a fan boy? Wtf is it w people attacking Tesla, a company that’s supported free speech and protected America . Leaving China for its oarts and going to India because China is aggressive .
Open your eyes and see what in front of you. It ISNT telsa forcing EVs on you. But I can assure you I am NOT a Tesla fan but IM a
Person who can see a better car when it’s in front of me. I don’t let the rest of the BS cloud my judgement I’ve owned
Mopars. Fords, chevies, Pontiacs , teslas Japanese’s cars, Italian cars , English cars etc . I can tell you my Tesla plaid is better all around than all of them . For certain things I prefer certain cars. . Love my Pontiac for things I wouldn t use my MGA wouldn’t use the MGA for things I’d use my hellcat, but if I need the best all around car and I can only have 1 it would be the Tesla plaid . If they had a convertible pick up that was rare , I’d never need another car . 😂
The man can have his opinion!! Why do you get so excited when someone slams tesla? I highly doubt he's jealous because he doesn't own a tesla anything. That's hilarious. That truck is ugly!! Wouldn't drive one if you gave it to me and I can have that opinion! You think it's a better car,,,fine you have that opinion. Doesn't make it a fact though.

The Following User Says Thank You to scott70 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2023, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69bird View Post
It’s unique !
Something can be unique and ugly at the same time.

You appear to be hell bent on making Tesla out to be the best thing since sliced bread. Does Tesla make a good EV? Probably. That doesn't make them a wise decision for many people. Why are you attacking people that don't share your love of Tesla (or EV's)?

For where and how I live, work and play, an EV is currently a substandard option. Having said that, I do think that there are EV's that are interesting that I would consider buying - IF there was an infrastructure available where I live, work and play to support them.

I don't see that happening in the next 20 years.

Right now, EV's are primarily viable for people in larger metropolitan areas that don't travel in rural areas off the Interstate highway system. In many areas of the country, even the interstate system lacks the infrastructure to support EV's properly.

They also work well for commuter vehicles when the owner can recharge at home every night (after installing a level 2 charger at home).

My niece and her husband purchased a Tesla 3 recently. They live in a distant suburb of the Twin Cities in Minnesota. What made the decision viable for them (they don't have a level 2 charger) is the fact that his employer provides free charging at his office while he's at work. This is his commuter car and literally 'free' fuel made the decision easy for him.

They have two other vehicles which are used for other purposes where and how they live and play.

On a side note - the EV market appears to be running into a problem despite the federal governments decision to attempt to force EV's on the American public.

EV production is exceeding demands for the product, despite massive discounts and the reinstatement (for many automakers) of the $7500 tax credit. To qualify for the tax credit, Tesla slashed their pricing to get some of their models to qualify.

Last September, Tesla had an 18.74% profit margin. In June, the profit margin was down to 10.84%.

The side effect of this is the value of used Tesla's has also plummeted. The average used model 3 dropped 21.5% between Sep 22 and Feb 23. That drop is still trending in a bad direction for EV owners.

https://electrek.co/2023/03/22/tesla...ptember%202022.

With increased competition in the EV market, prices will drop further. Ford has slashed the F150 Lightning by nearly $10,000 as inventories pile up. The Mustang Mach E is down by nearly $6,000.

More info on the excess inventory:

https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...he-2023-07-11/

The Following User Says Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2023, 06:12 PM
Senior Chief

Calm down, I am not slamming Tesla. If you like them, fine, that is your choice. They seem to make a good product but the looks, not so much. They seem to have some interesting technology, except for the hands-free driving. If you don't think that truck is ugly, well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Tesla "fanboys" are the people who think nothing, but a Tesla is worth having. They think Elon can do no wrong and their technology and CEO is God. They think no automobile is perfect except for a Tesla. I like a lot of cars. I have owned many different vehicles. I don't really want an electric one, to save the planet. I don't want to turn this into a political thread. There are many hurdles to overcome before the electric vehicles will be able to be adopted by most people. I don't care how fast your Tesla is. I like my slow Firebird. There is more to enjoy driving my car than how fast it is. My dad always told me, "There is always someone faster". To each his own. It seems silly that the electric car manufacturers are all making hay about the speed of the vehicle. I would rather have more range than a very fast 0-60 time.

The Following User Says Thank You to jerry455 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread