THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 11:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Sneaking repaired classic car into Canada costs man $55K

A Nova Scotia man was fined more than $55,000 for not declaring repairs to a 1967 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu he had fixed in the U.S., then brought back to Canada.

Brian James Wheaton, 50, crossed into Canada at the St. Stephen, N.B., border in September 2013. He claimed he took the car to Maine for repairs, but said he’d decided against the repairs.

Suspicious border guards took a closer look. They found the vehicle was transported across the border at Calais, Maine, moved to Chicago and repaired. It was returned to Calais, where Wheaton took it across the border.

Wheaton was arrested and the vehicle was sent back to the U.S.

Wheaton, who’s from Enfield, spent $137,185 on the car, including $85,000 on parts and services. Wheaton pleaded guilty in St. Stephen provincial court on March 10 and was fined $55,000 in penalties for failure to declare the work done on the vehicle.

Had he done it above board, he would have paid $17,834 in taxes.

“The Canada Border Services Agency reminds all travellers to truthfully declare all goods when entering Canada. It doesn’t pay to try to circumvent these requirements; the risks are just not worth it,” said Debra Thompson of the CBSA.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...-55k-1.2572804

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'd be curious to see a before & after photo of that car.
Sounds like a concours restoration was done on a basket case, for that kind of money.
I doubt if there are any commercial shops in Maine that would perform that level of work. Canadians probably knew that too.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:27 AM
Senior Chief

I don't know why people keep trying this stuff. It just ain't worth it, life is way too short.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb Tariffs

Canada is concerned with tariffs and taxes

US Customs with drugs - weapons - cash smuggling

Jim

Old 03-15-2014, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A guy my wife works with took a trailer down to California and bought a 68 GT500KR that need restoring for 30K .....At the Sweetgrass/Coutts rossing he declared to the Canadian customs agent that he only paid $3500 for the car. His total taxes would have been $1500 plus brokerage,,,,,,Anyway in his zest to save 1300 bucks...they took his truck/ trailer and the 68....and fined him 20K .....After he got a payment organized to pay the fine, they released his property....He had to pay 1200 in impound fees.....at their office the customs agent told him that he knew **** about cars but he did know a GT500 was worth a hell of a lot more than $3500...plus he had written down 30k in his note book and underlined it and had the Hemmings ad torn out on the front seat of his crewcab...lol.... so the lesson learned is dont screw with the Man

Old 03-15-2014, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What kind of a tool would let that happen? Simply come up with an equitable number, and have it shipped.

If you think that all they do is pursue tax cheats, then you are sorely mistaken. In fact, that's the least of their worries. Go ahead and try to smuggle a hand gun into Canada. It won't be just a fine and their catch is extremely high.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm sure there would have been a place in Canada that would have taken his money and done a good job with WAY less hassle then what he got. Kinda makes him look a little foolish.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The shop was likely recommended. Many people have no clue where to go. People that can afford, they want a sure thing.
Still, there's no getting around paying twelve percent more at todays exchange rate.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Several guys in our local car scene know the guy but I can't put a face to his name right now. There's always somebody who will try to get away with something.

1970 GTO, 455+.034", 0 deck, Wiseco's, Eagle rods, 60919, Rhoads, E-Heads, 1.65 Scorpions, RPM, Custom Qjet by Cliff, Doug's 1 7/8", THM 400, Gear Vendors OD, 3.55s.........Her name is Blandorf; after a girl I knew once, 'cause she's just Bitchin, always.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:19 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trulyvintage View Post
Canada is concerned with tariffs and taxes

US Customs with drugs - weapons - cash smuggling

Jim
I'm hoping that statement was made tongue in cheek.

Regardless, if anyone from the US is thinking of coming to Canada and wants to test out the above statement from Jim, please don't even think of it. I can pretty much guarantee you will regret that you tried it.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Canada sounds more strict than even Europe in terms of severity and enforcing of import taxes, duties. Trans-Atlantic, the rate is mostly 5% on classic cars, I believe.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:51 AM
Senior Chief

I can't even bring Firecrackers home from ND like the good old days let alone guns!!

Old 03-16-2014, 07:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I travel into Canada all the time....by plane and car. Border crossing is a huge pain in the arse! By car, they are looking for anything that you might be trying to sell. By plane, stuck in that stinky basement at YYZ waiting for hours waiting to be interrogated. Its just the world we live in now.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:31 AM

The last time I crossed the border last February I and my car was search 5 different times 4 of those times was from Canada and delayed for nearly 2 hours. I'll never go back into Canada again it's not worth the hassles.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:44 AM
Suspended

Default CANADA CUSTOMS

Canada Customs wants receipts so why not beat them at their own game. Scenario 1 you live in Toronto but you want to buy a car in Arizona, but of coarse being Canadian being cheap is automatic to you guys no offence Bob And Doug McKenzie but lets face it you are cheap. So HOBI free advise of the day, you have whatever car you want to buy lets say a 1969 GTO The Judge you found the car on GAYBAY HOBI has a buy it now of $100,000.00 you make a deal for $105,000.00 because HOBI does not deal and you made him mad so you still want the car for $105,000.00 you place a ad on Craigslist Phoenix for $60,000.00 car gets to the border you pick it works at all of them, you show the guy right after he says welcome to Canada aaay the ad from Craigslist you pay the PUD on your $60,000.00 piece of paper you printed when the ad was placed. I already know what your thinking because (I AM HOBI) what if the Canada Customs PUD checks Craigslist well if you got half a brain you kill your own ad right after you hit the print button now he has nothing to check. Heres the deal The Puds @ Canada Customs they just want a little piece of the pie not the whole pie they know **** happens but if your smart you can save some money and beat them @ their own ****ed up game Regards HOBI

Old 03-16-2014, 08:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

How does customs know what was changed on a car? If a racer trailered a car to the US with a basically stock motor trans and rear and returned back with a full race engine, trans and rear installed, how would they know something was changed?

Old 03-16-2014, 09:17 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustedgoat View Post
How does customs know what was changed on a car? If a racer trailered a car to the US with a basically stock motor trans and rear and returned back with a full race engine, trans and rear installed, how would they know something was changed?
They'd know because someone wrote HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! on the engine just to be safe.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:54 AM
Senior Chief

WOW what is Canada's taxable rate for income and what do you pay tax on a dollar ?

Gregg

Old 03-16-2014, 09:57 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobi View Post
Canada Customs wants receipts so why not beat them at their own game. Scenario 1 you live in Toronto but you want to buy a car in Arizona, but of coarse being Canadian being cheap is automatic to you guys no offence Bob And Doug McKenzie but lets face it you are cheap. So HOBI free advise of the day, you have whatever car you want to buy lets say a 1969 GTO The Judge you found the car on GAYBAY HOBI has a buy it now of $100,000.00 you make a deal for $105,000.00 because HOBI does not deal and you made him mad so you still want the car for $105,000.00 you place a ad on Craigslist Phoenix for $60,000.00 car gets to the border you pick it works at all of them, you show the guy right after he says welcome to Canada aaay the ad from Craigslist you pay the PUD on your $60,000.00 piece of paper you printed when the ad was placed. I already know what your thinking because (I AM HOBI) what if the Canada Customs PUD checks Craigslist well if you got half a brain you kill your own ad right after you hit the print button now he has nothing to check. Heres the deal The Puds @ Canada Customs they just want a little piece of the pie not the whole pie they know **** happens but if your smart you can save some money and beat them @ their own ****ed up game Regards HOBI

I guess you and I think differently. My conscience tells me that whole idea as you presented it is wrong. Naive as it may sound, I plan to make a difference in this world, one day and one action at a time, including displaying honesty and integrity even when it costs me my hard earned money.

As far as Canadians being cheap? I guess you can call it that. I look at it as being a good steward of the money God has blessed me with. Cheating to avoid taxes/duty may save me money but it will cost me a whole lot more than that in the end.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Canada doesn't mess around. If they find out you are on unemployment in the States they will border-line you. Had that happen to me back in the 70s when I was crossing into Ontario to see my Canadian girlfriend one Saturday night. They though I was going across to look for work... no way. LOL And if they find out you have had any kind of DUI offense, even back many many years, you definitely won't be allowed entry. That happened to guys I worked with at Anchor Mtr Frt. Any criminal offense will also stop entry.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Closed Thread