Old 04-10-2006, 04:08 PM

Question 70 Alternator Bracket

I'm doing final assembly of my GTO and ran into a snag. I have a 1970 RA 3 non-judge, 4sp, power steering and A/C. I bought a correct alternator with a 2 7/8" pulley and all my other pulleys are original. My problem is that I got a GM restoration belt from Ames and it is too long by about 1/2" at maximum adjustment. The Ames people tell me it's the correct belt for my car so I'm starting to think, I may have the wrong alternator bracket because the adjustment slot must not be long enough. I've see pictures of GTOs with 69 style brackets and others with with my style (big three point bracket connected to a manifold stud, water neck stud and water pump bolt) Can someone please post a picture of the correct bracket assembly for my car.

As always, thanks in advance for the help, Paul

Old 04-10-2006, 11:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here ya go. 70 GTO motor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brackets.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	49610  

Old 04-11-2006, 06:48 AM

That's what my set up looks like. The belt must be a bad reproduction. Thanks!

Old 04-11-2006, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

1970 had a one year only alternator bracket for power steering cars (like in Dr. Goat's picture). Restoration Guide probably gives you the length of the belt.

Old 04-11-2006, 08:13 AM

Post Intake?

Are you using a factory intake and thermostat housing? I had issues with mine using a Performer RPM and repo cast iron thermostat housing. I had to shim the back of the bracket with a washer to allow the belt to ride a little lower. My friend works at Napa so he gave me a handful of belts to try until I found one that worked. (That helps!) I believe it was an inch shorter than what is listed as correct.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM002504.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	49629  

Old 04-11-2006, 12:24 PM

You need a belt that is 3/8 x 47.5. See my post below titled alterntor belt. I ordered my belt from our host. They are exchanging it for one of the correct length.