Old 09-05-2005, 09:35 AM

Default Hatchbacks & Weatherstrips

Ames carries weatherstrip for 1974 GTO Hatchback in their catalog.

The Paddock lists 1974 Nova hatchback weatherstrip, but shows 1973 Nova hatchback weatherstrip discontinued.

Is there a difference?

I thought that the 73 & 74 X-body hatchback hatches and rear end shapes were all the same.

Are the weatherstripping channels different?

Last edited by My2nd73Sprint; 11-18-2006 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to cwolf

I thought so too same taillights and taillight panel trunk lid rear bumper.Have you tried Danno enterprises? BTW welcome

Old 09-08-2005, 01:22 AM

The tech support guy at Ames says, "These are different part numbers from GM. I would say it would not fit."

I checked the Danno site and they don't list anything for hatchback Ventura/GTO's.

Why wouldn't the wxstrip fit? Unless there is a difference in the channel that the wxstrip sets in.

Last edited by My2nd73Sprint; 12-09-2006 at 06:44 AM.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I agree with you about parts for the 73-74 but looks like you only have 2 choices on weatherstripping is 1. buy the one you found in the ames catalog for a 73 which I would almost say is a Lemans. 2.find the weatherstrip in a long enough peice and make your own. Have you looked in the PY catalog they so carry some parts for ventura\ gto in their gto lemans catalog

Old 09-08-2005, 09:42 PM

Doesn't seem to be anything at PY. I was going to order the 74 GTO hatchback wxstrip from Ames and hopefully it'd be the same. I could probably return it if not.

The only other place I had seen 73/74 Nova hatchback wxstrip was JC Whitney. Nowhere near what it's supposed to be. Totally different!

Last edited by My2nd73Sprint; 12-09-2006 at 06:46 AM.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:50 PM
Senior Chief

Take a look at www.novaparts.com they show the 73-74 hatchback to be the same! They also show comming soon so a phone call might be in order to get a more up to date answer. Hope this helps!
later,
Keith

Old 09-15-2005, 11:14 PM

So, the guy at Ames was right.

What I got in from Ames is the same identical weatherstrip I got in from JC Whitney, only $60 more. Here I thought JC Whitney was the culprit.

Apparently, the hatchback wxstrip did change from '73 to '74. These two new ones do not match my '73 Fisher Body Manual's illustrations. The bad wxstrip I took off the car DOES match the illustrations. I would say the old one I removed is the original.

I've checked other weatherstrip places, but no one carries the right one.

Last edited by My2nd73Sprint; 12-09-2006 at 06:47 AM.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:25 PM

No. Wait. It gets better. I can't find the right weatherstrip for my hatchback, but I've found a site that sells a conversion kit so I can convert my '73 Ventura's doors into "winged" doors like on a Lamborghini.

Now, there's something I've been looking for.

Goes right up there with the 20" chrome wire-spoked "wagon" wheel rims I'd seen recently on a early 70's GM muscle car.

Old 09-16-2005, 01:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The ObamaNation we once called the United States of America

What would be wrong with using the '74 weatherstrip?? Should still fit and seal fine.

Old 09-16-2005, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin
What would be wrong with using the '74 weatherstrip?? Should still fit and seal fine.
I would agree with this statement. Also, have you tried A&M Soft Seal?

Old 09-18-2005, 02:05 AM

Quote:
The "1974" wxstrip I got in is in no way the same as what came off the car & what the book illustrations show. I've installed one of the "1974" wxstrips on the car and while it does seal, with the exception of a small area on either side part way down, the bottom end of the tailgate now sticks up about 3 inches. I've adjusted the latch as far as I could and I can't get the tailgate to mesh.

I'd happily use it if the tailgate would close all the way, but it's so obvious that it's the wrong thing. Most of the original channel in which the original wxstrip sat is now exposed. Anyone can see it's not meant for the car. The '73 seems to have a different design than the '74.

It'd be great if I could find a '74 hatchback and compare, but I seem to be stuck with the only hatchback for miles around.

Last edited by My2nd73Sprint; 12-09-2006 at 06:48 AM.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:33 AM

Sure enough, as per the illustrated parts breakdown '71-'76 Ventura.....

Weatherstrip, Compartment Lid, Gutter

1973, body style 17, 198" long, part number 9618858

1974, body style 17, 198" long, part number 9739576

Old 10-16-2005, 07:46 AM

Smile 73-74 Hatchback Weather Stripping

Component Lid Gutter WeatherStripping. This is how they listed the part through Pontiac. I had asked my local Pontiac dealer to do a parts search across Canadian Dealers. No luck. Has anyone tried this with the USA Dealers.

I have had numerous people send me samples of what they thought would work.Not the same!!
My original was still in good shape but starting to leak. I have talked to
Metro Mold and SteelRubber. Both of them requested a sample of my seal for the profile.
SteelRubber was the most interested.
So the sample was sent to both.
I will keep everyone informed once I get my information back from each company.
This is holding up restoration.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will reproduce,as I stated there are a lot of us out there looking for this part.All X body Hatchbacks..

Last edited by 73sprint; 11-12-2005 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good luck I hope it works for you with there's enough demand maybe the will start making it

Old 10-16-2005, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The ObamaNation we once called the United States of America

As far as I know, the hatch AND the body on the '73 and '74 are exactly the same. Maybe GM produced a new weatherstrip that sealed better for the '74 model year??? The one for the '73 should work. Maybe over the years as the old seal compressed someone adjusted the latch so the hatch would seal better and not rattle. I would look into that first. It isnt uncommon for new weatherstrip to cause things to not close or line up properly.

Old 11-07-2005, 11:00 PM

Quote:
As far as I know, the hatch AND the body on the '73 and '74 are exactly the same. Maybe GM produced a new weatherstrip that sealed better for the '74 model year??? The one for the '73 should work. Maybe over the years as the old seal compressed someone adjusted the latch so the hatch would seal better and not rattle. I would look into that first. It isnt uncommon for new weatherstrip to cause things to not close or line up properly.

No, there is a big difference because the "bead" or whatever they call the base of the wxstrip that you glue into the gutter channel around the hatch area is totally different.

My old wxstrip matches the pics in the Fisher manual exactly. It fits right into the channel. This 1974 strip is so different, it's hard to explain. It has a split on the underside bead that looks as if it gets fitted onto a raised thin metal "blade".

All the adjustments I've done to the latch didn't work. I mean, it is sealing. The only 2 leaks I have now is not related to the wxstrip. They're up where that one panel where the tailgate hinges are. It's leaking on each side where the seams are. Can't find where it's coming in, but the seams are drippin'.

There's no way to improvise with the strip. It's obviously wrong.

What I need is someone with a '74 to take a good photo of their hatch wxstrip & some of the gutter. I'm curious to see where the difference is and I'm willin' to bet it's in the way the gutter channel was pressed out.

I can probably scan each wxstrip edge on my scanner and try to post pics of it here if I could figure out how. Maybe I'll do that.

Last edited by My2nd73Sprint; 12-09-2006 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:35 AM

I sliced a cross-section of the wxstrip that came off my '73, and a slice of the wxstrip that is supposedly for a '74 (according to Ames & JCW), then scanned them. I also scanned the tech manual illustration showing the wxstrip matches what came off my car.

The stuff for a '74 is all goofy looking compared to the '73's. Maybe someone will see the pics and identify the wxstrip for the '73 as being very similar to some other model like a tailgate on a wagon or something. I don't know.

73sprint, is the cross-section of the one all the way on the right similar to what you have on your car that you sent for samples?

From Right to Left below....1973 installation diagram; 1973 hatch wxstrip section; 1974 hatch wxstrip section.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wxstr.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	32273   Click image for larger version

Name:	WxstrM.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	32274  

Last edited by My2nd73Sprint; 12-09-2006 at 06:53 AM.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:00 AM

Default weatherstripping

Great job on the posting of the weather stripping.When I was in touch with a rep from soft seal they sent me a sample that they said would fit.It is exactly what you show on the left side picture. My seal for the 73 (which I saved) is exactly what you show on the right . No comparison. The steel piece they have inserted into the aftermarket sample will not compress.I have not received any information from the two manufacturing companies as of yet. Steele Rubber and Metro Mold.
Email these companies and let them know you are searching.
I do not know why they just don't make the seal. Considering the production numbers on hatchback cars for 73-74

Old 11-28-2005, 09:58 PM

Default hatchback seal

This is the message I received back from SteeleRubber.

At this time we are not interested in this part. Thank you
for checking with us and maybe in the future we can help you.

Eddie Lail
New Product Mgr.
I sent them a sample of my hatch seal.

Old 12-16-2005, 09:48 PM

Smile Hatchback weather stripping

Don't weld your hatch shut just yet.I just received a message from one of the seal manufacturing companies. I sent them a very good sample and they replied,that they will produce the weatherstripping for the 1973 Ventura hatchback.(WOW perceverance pays off)
I need some help on total production numbers of the hatchback.How many were made???

Also wondering if there are any production numbers for the nova,apollo,and omega.

The other thing the product manager requested. He wanted to know if the 74 is identical.
I have seen many posts about this. Do the 74 have the pinch clips in the gutter track.? Can someone let me know on these two questions.

The product manager stated it will be approximately 1 month to make the proto type (which he will send me) and approx 3 months before he can run full production,but he said it will not be a problem. This is great news for all of us.
He viewed all of the cars on the www.pontiacventura.com web site and was excited to see so many cars still in exsistance.
If I can get some help with these questions it would be greatly appreciated.