Old 05-07-2009, 01:36 AM

Default shift patter diffrent on my 76 TA 4 speed

i have a 1976 trans am 455, 4 speed. it came with the hurst shifter upgade too. the problem am having is that the throwout bearing went out along with the clutch fork. i replaced the pilot bearing, the clutch fork, and the throwout bearing too. i also replaced the side cover gasket were the shifting forks go on because it was leaking. all the linkage on the transmisson is were it should go, the shifting rods to 1st and 2nd, 3rd and 4th. when i took it for a test drive, and i shifted from 1st to 2nd the gear did not want to go in smooth, it felt like i was down shifting. so i found out after driving it that 1st and 3rd are at the bottom and 2nd and 4th are at the top. any ideas of what went wrong? i know what i did wrong, but i want to hear what the pontiac people have to say. thanks and hope to hear what u guys have to say.
galiboys

Old 05-07-2009, 09:53 PM

you put the ears back on upside down so that when you shift you're pulling the rods instead of pushing and vice versa.

I've done it myself years and years ago.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What he said! You installed the linkage on the transmission upside down. It's not a Pontiac thing though. That screw up would yield the same results in a Chevy too.

2012 SRT8 Charger - 12.70 @ 111mph
Old 05-07-2009, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

lol...join the club. You have to do that at least once.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:45 AM

thanks greg. i thought i had put the shift forks backwards and had to opened up the transmisson side cover again.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 76 4 speed info

Is there a site that has good rebuild/repair information/pictures for the Borg Warner T10 thats in the 76 TA. Thanks, BG

Old 05-09-2009, 11:34 AM

Default rebuild transmisson on t-10 info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk 76 View Post
Is there a site that has good rebuild/repair information/pictures for the Borg Warner T10 thats in the 76 TA. Thanks, BG
when i rebuild my trany, i was going to automotive school and my teacher helped me out. he had the trany manual of my car so i was lucky enought to rebuild it my self. about the trany part there use to be a trany shop next to my house that had all the rebuild kits in stock, but they closed down, so me to am out of luck when it is going to come down to rebuilding my m-21 muncie to get parts for. i'll let u know if i come across any thing like that.
gailboys

Old 05-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://fiedlerh.home.att.net/BW.htm
This site has a pdf of the new to '74 Borg-Warner trnsmission disassembly/rebuild.

A Muncie rebuild DVD can be purchased here...
http://www.5speeds.com/video.html