THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:02 AM
Senior Chief

Default GM Nationals at Carlisle Rebranded

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE MEDIA CONTACT (not for publication)
September 2016 Michael Garland (717) 243-7855 ext. 133
MichaelG@CarlisleEvents.com

Carlisle Events Announces all-New all-Chevrolet Weekend for 2017
Carlisle Chevrolet Nationals Launch June 23-25 at the Carlisle PA Fairgrounds

CARLISLE, PA – In 1911 the Chevrolet brand was launched by Louis Chevrolet and William Durant in Detroit, Michigan. 89 years later in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, Carlisle Events launched an automotive weekend focused on the best of the brand; the Carlisle GM Nationals. Fast forward 15 years and the event is still one if the best of its type in the region, bringing thousands of cars and tens of thousands of guests to central Pennsylvania. For 2017, however; Carlisle Events is excited to announce a change to its second show in the month of June. Beginning June 23, 2017, the Carlisle Chevrolet Nationals will take over the Carlisle PA Fairgrounds. This change of show from the former Carlisle GM Nationals is being done to better reflect today’s automotive trends and to better honor the history of the brand. It’s also in line with the image and brand that Chevrolet has been cultivating in recent years too.

The three day event will host nearly a century of automotive excellence and speed forward on the back of the 50th anniversary celebration of the Camaro, a brand most prominently represented at events’ past. The June 23-25 weekend will also feature a wide array of Chevrolet vendors within the swap meet AND on the Midway. Many vendors will feature items best suited for 5th and 6th Gen Camaros, while other vendors bring classic items with them to further enhance historic Chevrolet cars and trucks. Chevrolet weekend not only hosts all bow-tied branded cars and trucks, but eagerly invites and encourages all GM family of rides to attend too. All previous classifications from the GM Nationals will carry over and continue, while enhancing the grounds with even more Chevrolet branded showfield options.
Car Clubs also take center stage in 2017. The clubs who attend all shows at Carlisle are the backbone of each event. Enthusiasts from far and wide converge on Carlisle to meet with other club members, many times under a FREE TENT as part of the Club Tent Program, all while being immersed in a sea of automotive excellence.

“The all-new Chevrolet Nationals will provide new opportunities to help Carlisle Events build a larger showfield and stronger swap meet, as well as attract more prominent manufacturers to our Midway,” said event manager Tyler Staley. “We're excited to share this new event with all of our enthusiasts from every branch of GM too and we hope it will provide a great new experience for our dedicated attendees.”
Many more details about the all-new Carlisle Chevrolet Nationals will be announced in the coming weeks and months. In the meanwhile, registration is open via the web at www.CarlisleEvents.com for showfield and vending. The web is also a great place to go to learn more about the club programs, activities and more. Also, with the annual holiday sale upcoming, even more savings (TBD) will be available for everyone to cruise to Carlisle and enjoy a day (or weekend) out with friends and family.
# # #

Carlisle Events is a partner or producer of 11 annual collector car and truck events. Events are held at the Carlisle PA Fairgrounds (Carlisle, PA), Allentown Fairgrounds (Allentown, PA) and the SUN ‘n FUN Complex (Lakeland, FL). The season schedule includes five automotive swap meets of varying size, four auctions, as well as individual specialty shows featuring Corvettes, Fords, Chevorlets, Chryslers, trucks, imports, tuners and performance sport compacts. Founded in 1974 by friends Bill Miller and Chip Miller, events hosted at Carlisle attract more than a half a million enthusiasts annually from all corners of the globe. More information is available via www.CarlisleEvents.com or www.CarlisleAuctions.com.
# # #

Old 10-05-2016, 09:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

well that sucks. Whose brilliant idea was that?

1969 GTO Judge Warwick blue/blue, RAIII, 4 speed, tach/gauges, Safe T track, 3.55's, ps and radio.

1971 Torino 351c 4v GT convertible. White on white with black interior
4 speed, shaker, am/fm, ps/pdb, buckets/console, ac.
One of 26 made
Old 10-05-2016, 09:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill's?

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 10-05-2016, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, that's just f*&^ing stupidity right there!
Everyone knows how much the Buick, Olds and Pontiac purists like to identify as Chevy guys.

You'd think that if they rally felt the need to kiss Chevy's ass they could have at least called it the Chevrolet AND GM Nationals.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 10-05-2016, 09:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My last new vehicle (new to me) was a Ford.

I no longer buy GM products. And other than one used car, haven't for 3+ decades.
A buying pattern I have no plans to change.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just got some inside info on why it was done.. They lost all the Camaro clubs and want to get them back.

True story

1969 GTO Judge Warwick blue/blue, RAIII, 4 speed, tach/gauges, Safe T track, 3.55's, ps and radio.

One of 26 made
Old 10-05-2016, 11:33 AM
Senior Chief

There was a rift years ago between the National Camaro club who held their National event there. They left and have been holding it in Frederick MD on a spite date of the same day of GM Carlisle. Attendance since has gone downhill.

In 2014 SVGTO worked with them for the 50th Anniversary GTO Celebration bringing in VIPs, that and the Bandit RUN saw a good turn out. Then boom down it went again.

Carlisle has been trying to get the Camaro crowd back and last year (2015) they changed the date to the same date as the Pypes event on Fathers Day weekend hoping the Camaros would come back. Apparently it didn't work. Now they changed the date back again to their 3rd weekend of June and got Chevrolet to sponsor it. Confusing people by changing dates after advertising and now this. They'll be heavily promoting Chevrolet in particular the 4-5th gen Camaros.

The Chevy Nationals facebook page is on fire with negativity. Non Chevy people are not happy. Not sure how getting more showcars in their showfield is going to work especially reading the sentiment from the Pontiac crowd and others. They needed $$$ to stay afloat.

I had asked in 2014 if GM Carlisle is floundering and the others are prospering why not pull the resources of all and bring up your bottom end? I was told the owners of Carlisle choose to keep each show separate and each funds itself. I asked ... does all the money go into one big bank account? I was told yes. I then asked if the money goes to the same account why not use it to help an ailing show? I got a shoulder shrug.

Sad thing is Carlisle Events never consulted with the groups for input on how to salvage this show and instead re-branded it.

HOPEFULLY the Pypes/Max Performance event will see an increase in attendance from this.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sad . GM was best when they were separate divisions with their own engines
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1GTORAIV$T2eC16JHJI!E9qSO8DvqBQYO!GsyVw~~60_57.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	438066  

Old 10-05-2016, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I heard that the pypes show was going to be on a different date for 2017 just because of Carlisle. I hope this is not true because if it is it would not be the same weekend as the Lansdale show

1931 Pontiac 5 window coupe OHC6 powered
2015 GMC Yukon SLT
Old 10-05-2016, 12:00 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOWAGON View Post
I heard that the pypes show was going to be on a different date for 2017 just because of Carlisle. I hope this is not true because if it is it would not be the same weekend as the Lansdale show
I will let Chris handle this. I am sure he'll announce his response to this when he's ready but the date for the Pypes show will be moved back to the traditional date of Father's Day weekend: June 16-17 2017.

I have already made the date change on the SVGTO FB page.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One would assume they calculated that the vast majority of the attendees of the GM Nationals were in fact, Chevrolet owners and that the numbers of Camaro owners they anticipate returning will more than makeup the loss of BOPC owners next year. Best of luck.

One other thing, what problem did the National Camaro Club have with GM Carlisle? Seems they would have been better off resolving that issue than pissing off the BOPC crowd.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

sounds like it will be same weekend for pypes after all thanks carlisle

1931 Pontiac 5 window coupe OHC6 powered
2015 GMC Yukon SLT
Old 10-05-2016, 05:55 PM

I cancelled my hotel reservations.....

2017 Jeep Trackhawk
2017 GTS Viper
1958 Plymouth Fury. CHRISTINE.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

GM was my favorite show till the Camaro Nationals left, now they're both suffering. I don't go to either one.

http://www.byjanmarie.com/firebird/69.html
69 Camaro 327 4sp. 4.10
http://www.byjanmarie.com/camaro/69camaro.html ( SOLD)
2002 Camaro LE/SLP-(sold)
1967 Nova SS-- 327, M20, 3.73, FRT Disc
Old 10-06-2016, 05:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gotta admit the GM show paled in comparison to the Mopar and Vette show. If there's something they could do to bring in the numbers - including highlighting the Bow Tie - then more power to them.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

But the questions is.. Will the added Chevies offset the lost BOP's? I highly doubt it

One of 26 made
Old 10-07-2016, 08:01 AM
PY VIP

Personally, I see this as a good thing. The Pypes show will not have any competition and will continue to grow. It is a well-run and enjoyable event. You know where we will be next year!

Founding Editor-in-Chief, Poncho Perfection Magazine (October 1, 2015- present)
www.ponchoperfection.com
Contributing Editor: Collectible Automobile (1999- present)

Author:
"Grand Prix: Pontiac's Luxury Performance Car" (Released April 27, 2007)
"How to Restore Your Pontiac GTO" (Released July 15, 2012)
"Pontiac Concept and Show Cars, 1939-1980" (Release Date April, 2016)

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."