THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-10-2020, 07:48 PM

We had a carrier derailment in Southern Ontario back around 74. Fords. One LTD, minus the body, but perfect in chassis with a 351 was donated by Ford to my high school.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
Don't forget this one. There was a great article with good clear pictures in Popular Mechanics, I believe about a year later.

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/15/w...north-sea.html
Quote:
ship that sank, the Tricolor, was carrying 2,862 cars, including BMW's, Volvos and Saabs,
Phew! lol

It still would have been fun to watch the recovery, if there was any. Even just exploratory dives. At 82 feet, you would think they might try to salvage some of it.

Old 05-10-2020, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A bunch of tractors got trashed as well
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tricolor1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	539883  

Old 05-11-2020, 09:27 AM
Senior Chief

Back in the mid 90s, I was training dealer personnel on computer stuff. Two weeks per dealer was about average. One particular GMC dealer got a suburban while I was there. The smell was HORRENDOUS. Come to find out it was a VIN 3 truck (made in Mexico). To get over the border into the US, they'd wedge into the train carrier, grab a comfy spot to ride in, snag the radio, battery, alternator, and such for traveling money once in the US. Once over the border, get out with your goodies, and take off.

Not exactly sure what happened to this particular fellow, but he got trapped in the train car, it sat in the sun for a few weeks, until the train continued on. The guy had decomposed severely, yet the suburban was still sent on to the dealer after the body was recovered and the mess "mitigated". It arrived, and you could smell it from miles away. They didnt want it, but had to take it for reasons I never heard. The dealer eventually removed every non-metallic part on the thing, steam washed it multiple times, nothing worked. GM finally had the dealer scrap it. It was the most unholy mess you could ever imagine. The smell had permeated the steel. How it was permitted to travel all the way to the Midwest is a mystery and should have been crushed at the time of discovery. I only had questions, no answers. I wouldnt even look in it.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 05-11-2020, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
A bunch of tractors got trashed as well
That's a great picture.

Old 05-11-2020, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

At first I thought the picture was rotated then noticed it was actually on its side in dry dock.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 05-12-2020, 01:57 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428goat View Post
... there was a Cat driving over the new TVs...
I would not have wanted to be near that. Back in the monochrome days, I worked in GE's CRT division, designing electron guns. An imploding CRT in the factory sounded like a cannon!

Old 05-12-2020, 05:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Don't forget this one. There was a great article with good clear pictures in Popular Mechanics, I believe about a year later.

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/15/w...north-sea.html
Hey, my sister had special ordered a Volvo C70 wagon which was on that ship Tricolor. I remember she was super pissed off as the deal was she had already traded her old Volvo and it was resold. Eventually Volvo loaned her another car and I think it took about another 5 months before her new car arrived.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heybuck View Post
Hey, my sister had special ordered a Volvo C70 wagon which was on that ship Tricolor. I remember she was super pissed off as the deal was she had already traded her old Volvo and it was resold. Eventually Volvo loaned her another car and I think it took about another 5 months before her new car arrived.
That's a great story. BTW, there is a 20 minute or so video on Youtube of the recovery of the Tricolor. They cut it in 9 pieces and brought it up. Interesting video. Big Azzz saw!!!

Old 05-13-2020, 12:53 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc34 View Post
We had a carrier derailment in Southern Ontario back around 74. Fords. One LTD, minus the body, but perfect in chassis with a 351 was donated by Ford to my high school.
Interesting, Back in '76 our auto shop at the tech school in OKC had a Torino chassis and cowl. The story was it was dropped from a transport. It was drive-able and we moved it around often. Later it was shortened to save space and a piece of metal tacked on for a "seat". Thus the ZOL Mobile was born. Rules and regs obviously different back in the day.

Old 05-16-2020, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Anonymous View Post
Back in the mid 90s, I was training dealer personnel on computer stuff. Two weeks per dealer was about average. One particular GMC dealer got a suburban while I was there. The smell was HORRENDOUS. Come to find out it was a VIN 3 truck (made in Mexico). To get over the border into the US, they'd wedge into the train carrier, grab a comfy spot to ride in, snag the radio, battery, alternator, and such for traveling money once in the US. Once over the border, get out with your goodies, and take off.

Not exactly sure what happened to this particular fellow, but he got trapped in the train car, it sat in the sun for a few weeks, until the train continued on. The guy had decomposed severely, yet the suburban was still sent on to the dealer after the body was recovered and the mess "mitigated". It arrived, and you could smell it from miles away. They didnt want it, but had to take it for reasons I never heard. The dealer eventually removed every non-metallic part on the thing, steam washed it multiple times, nothing worked. GM finally had the dealer scrap it. It was the most unholy mess you could ever imagine. The smell had permeated the steel. How it was permitted to travel all the way to the Midwest is a mystery and should have been crushed at the time of discovery. I only had questions, no answers. I wouldnt even look in it.
🤢🤢🤮🤮

Old 05-16-2020, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Anonymous View Post
How it was permitted to travel all the way to the Midwest is a mystery and should have been crushed at the time of discovery. I only had questions, no answers.
That would be a total case of "not my problem!" from everyone along the way until it got in to the dealer's hands.