Old 07-03-2017, 01:07 PM

Default will stop leak work

noticed some small drips lately on floor under heater core on a 69 bird with no a/c. did some research here and to replace the core sounds like its beyond my mechanical abilities. this may be crazy but will stop leak work. if not how do I eliminate the heater core out of the system thanks in advance

Old 07-03-2017, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think you will find much luv for radiator stop leak. You can bypass your heater core, but as I'm sure you know you wont have heat. Caution on defogging the windshield.

I would make sure that you have no drips where the hoses connect. I have seen loose hoses that can spray past the seal, but it does sound like a heater core.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've never had much success with any radiator stop leak. Perhaps a very short term, temporary solution, but a waste of money in the end, Carmine.

Old 07-03-2017, 04:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had heard the horror stories about what a "pain" the heater core replacement was. When I had my car at a local shop getting some brake problems sorted out, the core blew when he was test driving it. Since he said "that's an easy fix," I had him do it. Cost me just an hour of labor.

If you block it off, you don't have a heater and you still have a leaking core full of fluid. It's much easier to hire someone to do it - that's my 2 cents.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Take it to a radiator shop. If you're lucky, it could be the upper and lower tank's solder joints need resoldering. I've had to do it to my original radiator a couple of times, after the recore. Worst case is the bottom tank is no good and needs to be replaced.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:49 AM

thanks guys, I think ill just put the hoses together and eliminate the heater core till the cooler weather comes ill just blow the core out with air to get the fluid out thanks again dave