Old 01-06-2022, 02:00 PM

Default 1968 Firebird Aftermarket AC Recommendation

Wanting to add AC to my 68 Firebird. What aftermarket unit do you recommend and why? Thanks in advance

Old 01-06-2022, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not a 68 but a 69 bird convertible. I went with Vintage Air direct fit. Catered to the 69 model and everything went in smoothly, no issues. I also was able to use an original dash controller to run the system so the dash appears factory stock. Very pleased with the fit and performance. I installed everything at home by myself. Only a couple hickup, I needed to change out the binary switch for a trinary in which VA did so and I also needed a different compressor for my application, again VA did so. I needed a higher rpm unit. Both of these issues were resolved well before I began the installation. There was kind of a recall on the computer controller, at least a known issue that I had read/heard about and I ended up pulling the delivered one with the system to get the latest greatest. The unit would not go to medium or high speed once installed, changed out the board and all is well. 15 minutes to swap. I have no regrets. VA was always super helpful on questions and trouble shooting techniques. The unit is powerful in moving air, lots of it, both heat and cold (A/C).

Tim john---

The Following User Says Thank You to Tim john For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2022, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

VA is ok, their kit for the 70-81 Firebirds were all-in-one under the dash: heater, evap unit, fan, etc. meh. The unit brackets were poorly designed and rather weak.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scarebird For This Useful Post: