Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 07-03-2021, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by opeliac View Post
How many runs do you guys typically put on the rods before replacing them?
100 - 125

6.98 @ 199mph
4.53 @ 164mph
Old 07-03-2021, 10:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckmastr View Post
100 - 125
Is that 1/8 or 1/4 run (assuming 1/8?)?

Old 07-04-2021, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by opeliac View Post
How many runs do you guys typically put on the rods before replacing them?
That's part of the beauty of running BME aluminum connecting rods. You talk to Bill directly and he will give you a recommendation. He considers your bob-weight, the maximum RPM, fuel choice/power adder, horsepower. On our nitrous 1500 HP engine, 8200 RPM, 396 forging, 100 runs, throw away. On our nitro engine, 3200- 3500 HP, 35 lbs of boost, 8400 RPM, 426 forging, special hardware, return for inspection at 25 runs, throw away at 50 runs. So it varies.

Old 07-06-2021, 05:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I put over 300 runs on a well used set of blown meth 7" Brooks 88 Chrysler rods I adapted to a n/a 406 many years back, my current Brooks B2 rods have done just 40 passes in a 1400hp capable 427 ,and I plan to put another couple of hundred on these too. I believe the trick is to massively over spec on ali rods for your application, for 2400hp and long term use I would go for some solid nitro fuel type rods. JMO.

Old 10-12-2021, 08:40 PM
Senior Chief

I ended up going with the GRP 5500 series rods, hemi h13 pins, ross pistons, and a molnar crank until the Bryant crank is here...That will give me time to do some of the lesser things with the car at the beginning...

I have multiple top people that have said the Molnar crank wouldnt scare them at all while running the 76MM turbos...The Bryant crank will be in it before the big turbos go on...

I'm glad I made this thread, cause the opinions of using the aluminum rods are what got me to looking in that direction...I didnt find any reason to run a steel rod after I started getting real world information...

Thanks guys..

Time to get the cam ordered, the block machined for the Marty rings, and assemble the heads...2022 is starting to look fun.

Old 10-12-2021, 09:11 PM
Boost Engineer

Bryant and Moldex both make very nice cranks. Because of the way the machining on the cranks takes place, a Billet Moldex
crank might take several times longer to get the finished part. Most of the Bryant cranks I believe are CNC machined.
Moldex cranks are old school Lathe Machined and Finished (one step at a time). Both use Ball Bearing Timkin "Clean" steel.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What kind of life expectancy are you hoping for on the rods?

Old 10-13-2021, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Quality aluminum connecting rods, like BME give you a tremendous safety margin as far at tuning a new combination. Along with the great durability and light weight, the cushion effect of the soft aluminum rods on the bearings, crankshaft and block allows for a much wider tuning window while making big power and working out the boost, fuel and timing maps. Unless you have a plug and play, tried and true tune-up at the HP level you want to run, that would be my recommendation.

I’m just quoting because it’s relevant to above post not to point anything negative out about the post as aluminum rods do have their place,
I ran aluminum rods and lost a dowl which hurt one of my RAV cranks back when that was pretty much the only option for forged cranks, never ran them again. But I also had a lot of passes on them probably close to 240 or so and a bunch of street time maybe 5000 miles or so .

I realize people like to have cushion for tuning but if your always starting on the FAT and LAZY side and seeking up on the tune, this shouldn’t be as much of a concern (course we all know **** happens) But the problem is too many people take a quick stab at the correct tune instead of starting where they know it’s super safe and working back into it .

Plus I always leave my stuff on the fat and lazy side of the tune indefinitely in case something fails./ changes

Of course I’m not running a class where. Hundredths decide the winner .

I’d say most of the rod issues come from detonation beating the bearings out of it.

Back at that time it was a mild 550 Hp N/A affair so that’s why I had so much time on the rods. (Course that was actually a lot of power at the time ) ��

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 10-13-2021, 11:17 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535 tall deck View Post
What kind of life expectancy are you hoping for on the rods?
I plan to get a full season of track time(60-70 runs), as well as street miles (less than 400 miles unless I do drag week)on them...

Old 10-13-2021, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a side note --- if your investing in this thing for long term durability, get the ring lands on the pistons anodized --- if not the rings tend to micro weld to the piston under the heat and pressure

Old 10-13-2021, 03:17 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeise View Post
Just a side note --- if your investing in this thing for long term durability, get the ring lands on the pistons anodized --- if not the rings tend to micro weld to the piston under the heat and pressure
That’s another thing that I’ve encountered different opinions on.

Old 10-15-2021, 12:04 AM
Suspended

How long have you been planning and debating this engine? Is this a 5 or 10 year program? Serious question... is your build based on Justin's success or are you building your own program?

Old 10-15-2021, 09:27 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Roberts View Post
How long have you been planning and debating this engine? Is this a 5 or 10 year program? Serious question... is your build based on Justin's success or are you building your own program?
I started this project in 1996...I went to Marty Palbykin's house in 1998 to discuss using his sealing rings...I also was in discussions with Hot Rod magazine about adding stops at local tracks along the way of their Power Tour(does Drag Week come to mind?)...They were interested and we were going to the next steps...My wife was diagnosed with Leukemia, and things went down hill from there...After she passed in 2002, I had a 1 1/2 year old, and a 3 1/2 year old at home that became my priority...Raising them came first, and my racing was put on the back burner...

At the start of this I had planned to use the ported round port HO heads that I ran on my nitrous Lemans...With all of the success of Rodney and Travis Quillen, I knew the basic direction that I was going to take...Help from guys here, Frank at AP, Travis, Rodney and David Butler, Tony at BES, and Justin, I am confident with the parts that have been chosen...Summer of 2022 is looking pretty damn good.

As for the specific question about Justin's success...Anyone building a similar combo would be foolish to not feed off of the success that he has achieved with that combo...The shear number of runs that he will put on it is a testament to its durability.

Old 10-15-2021, 10:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sorry to hear about your setbacks, good to hear things are moving forward.