Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-19-2023, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good idea.

The Following User Says Thank You to Gach For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2023, 05:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Boy your not messing around. Love it

Old 11-19-2023, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Also make sure converter is in pump far enough. I had a chevy buddy break his trans trying to pull trans against block. I wasnt there just saw aftermath.

The Following User Says Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2023, 09:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I got my Rotary 2 post asymmetrical lift in my shop I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I love working on my cars with the lift, I would never ever get rid of my lift for any reason, I think Cliff said it right. You are now being punished for getting rid of your lift. Putting a trans in without a lift is one of the worst jobs ever. I have a trans jack that I use for under the lift, I use my engine hoist to lift it onto the jack. It's such a joy now to do these jobs with a lift.

Old 11-22-2023, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Corcoran View Post
When I got my Rotary 2 post asymmetrical lift in my shop I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I love working on my cars with the lift, I would never ever get rid of my lift for any reason, I think Cliff said it right. You are now being punished for getting rid of your lift. Putting a trans in without a lift is one of the worst jobs ever. I have a trans jack that I use for under the lift, I use my engine hoist to lift it onto the jack. It's such a joy now to do these jobs with a lift.
I had a 4 post lift; that would have been helpful for this job but it's a real pain to do much of anything else with it. A 2 post would have been better, and maybe I would have kept it if it was a 2 post.

Anyway, I'm glad it's gone. It was just too big for my 2 car garage, and my garage is more functional now.

Old 11-22-2023, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Those wood blocks look nice. Your trans jack is the bigger type and may not fit under the car with the trans on it unless the car is jacked up pretty high.

Heres the smaller one I used that allowed the trans to slide under the car only lifted with ramps in front & taller jack stands in the rear, for those with limited jacking options that dont do trans R&R much and on a budget, this is a nice little jack with a tilting plate.

https://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb...ack-61232.html

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2023, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
Those wood blocks look nice. Your trans jack is the bigger type and may not fit under the car with the trans on it unless the car is jacked up pretty high.

Heres the smaller one I used that allowed the trans to slide under the car only lifted with ramps in front & taller jack stands in the rear, for those with limited jacking options that dont do trans R&R much and on a budget, this is a nice little jack with a tilting plate.

https://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb...ack-61232.html
Yeah, at the top of the trans, it's 26" when sitting on the jack. The bottom of the frame rail is 8" so I have 18" to go.

All the wheel cribbing is built. Have Thanksgiving arrivals and festivities to work on but hope to get the car at least up on my 6-ton jack stands today. I'll work on the front first because I think that's going to be more difficult.

Old 11-22-2023, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I can put a T400 in my car on jack stands by myself in less than a hour.
That said, I am getting a lift.
Farther time always wins so if I want to keep doing this stuff make it easier.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dragncar For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2023, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ahh kids these days. Meanwhile, the hobo approach in action, 4L80 no less;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	623623   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	623624   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0021.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	623625   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0027.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	623626  

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2023, 02:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
I can put a T400 in my car on jack stands by myself in less than a hour.
That said, I am getting a lift.
Farther time always wins so if I want to keep doing this stuff make it easier.
I suppose if you were Speedy Gonzales on steroids and had the body of Arnold Schwarzenegger when he as 25 and you had done the job 10 times recently before then it might be possible. I think it would take over an hour just to get the car on jack stands high enough, then get the torque converter in all the way with three clunks, get the trans on your lifting device without the torque converter falling out, then get it in lined up and installed into place, insert and tighten all the bolts, hook up the dip stick tube, install hydraulic lines, install the cross member and mounts, bolt it all up, hook up the shifter linkage and speedometer cable and vacuum modulator, install the kick down wire, install the driveshaft, all in an hour? Not to mention filling it with 12 quarts of oil, starting the engine to check the oil level 3 or 4 times, lowering it back down off the jack stands then hooking up what you forget to. All in less than an hour by yourself. Yeah, I am sure you can do it.

Last edited by Tim Corcoran; 11-23-2023 at 03:07 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim Corcoran For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2023, 06:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I suppose if you were Speedy Gonzales on steroids and had the body of Arnold Schwarzenegger when he as 25 and you had done the job 10 times recently before then it might be possible. I think it would take over an hour just to get the car on jack stands high enough, then get the torque converter in all the way with three clunks, get the trans on your lifting device without the torque converter falling out, then get it in lined up and installed into place, insert and tighten all the bolts, hook up the dip stick tube, install hydraulic lines, install the cross member and mounts, bolt it all up, hook up the shifter linkage and speedometer cable and vacuum modulator, install the kick down wire, install the driveshaft, all in an hour? Not to mention filling it with 12 quarts of oil, starting the engine to check the oil level 3 or 4 times, lowering it back down off the jack stands then hooking up what you forget to. All in less than an hour by yourself. Yeah, I am sure you can do it.
Can you not read ? I wrote " I can put a T400 in my car on jack stands in less than a hour". That is so true its not even funny. I did not say a thing about getting it ready to run, just getting it in the car. Car is already up in the air (and I can get it high enough by myself in 10 minutes) Trans in on the floor ready to bolt it. Slide it under the car and work it up on 1 1/2" lumber one at a time until its high enough to get on my floor jacks 12" steel plate jig I made. Jack it up with my legs while guiding it up. Turn around and finish jacking it up by hand, line it up without any cut off long bolts. Get a bolt started on one side, then the other, climbing on top the car and getting the other 4 bolts in and tighten. Jack it up high enough to get the cross member in and bolted up, install driveline in way less than a hour.
You have no idea how easy that is for me. Tell you what, once I had my engine apart, ready to put back together from a re ring job. So we did not have to check anything or degree anything. I worked all Saturday and came home and relaxed until 8 0 clock. My brother and I then put that engine together and fired it up about 1:30 AM. (The rings were not even on the pistons when we started) Got the cam timing off, pulled the radiator off and then the front of the engine apart and fixed the issue and fired it up at 4:30 AM. Went to bed and got up a 8: 00 AM and made the race.
Would I push myself like that today, nope.
You have no idea who I am and what I can do and need to get a clue.
That goes for the two who liked your post.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dragncar For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2023, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Post 29 proves post 31 has margin. Reliance on the Dowel pins alone too. Note hardwood Converter strap in Po-29.

Link,https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...install&page=2.
How-To play-by-play starts at Post 22, Bolted by Post 25. HIS

Last edited by Half-Inch Stud; 11-24-2023 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-24-2023, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

can't refrain any longer lol

I have always installed my automatics, and muncie's, on jackstands via sliding the trans under the car, then lifting it onto the jack with wood, up and in. i'm 62, grew up doing it that way as did everyone I knew. never had a problem not did I think a thing about it. still do it that way.

modern society says you need a lift, trans jack, gloves, led lights, helpers, and some bon bons and coffee while discussing how to do it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JUDGE3 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2023, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default arnold swarznegger

can't refrain any longer lol

I have always installed my automatics, and muncie's, on jackstands via sliding the trans under the car, then lifting it onto the jack with wood, up and in. i'm 62, grew up doing it that way as did everyone I knew. never had a problem not did I think a thing about it. still do it that way.

modern society says you need a lift, trans jack, gloves, led lights, helpers, and some bon bons and coffee while discussing how to do it.

Old 11-24-2023, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got the car on the cribbing today without any issues. The 24" lift on the HF long reach jack was really helpful. Car feels very sturdy and stable.

I am still about 1" too short to get the trans under the frame while it's on the jack, so I'll use a 2 x 10 block on the jack saddle to get an extra 1 3/4".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0312.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	623705   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0318.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	623706   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0314.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	623707  

Old 11-24-2023, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice !

Old 11-24-2023, 08:35 PM

I’ve done done a TH400 R&R solo in a couple of hours using pretty much the same approach as HIS on a ‘69 GP I used to own. I was able to access all of the block to bellhousing bolts from underneath using long extensions and it was surprisingly easy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2023, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess it’s all in what way you feel comfortable in doing it. I think he did a great job in building jack cribs.

Old 11-24-2023, 09:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah you can get it up pretty high with that Daytona jack, I have the same one nice long handle. Mines yellow it’s prettier than yours. LOL you should paint those cribs same color as your jack. Didn’t have any yellow paint at time when I built mine.

Old 11-24-2023, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post

I’ve done done a TH400 R&R solo in a couple of hours using pretty much the same approach as HIS on a ‘69 GP I used to own. I was able to access all of the block to bellhousing bolts from underneath using long extensions and it was surprisingly easy.
That's how I've done it in the past as well, but I just don't care to wrassle the TH400 under the car any more if I don't have to. Last wrasslin' match I had was about 6 months ago on destroyed concrete with a 4x4 ZF-5 going into my '87 F350. Definitely an overrated experience.