Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-24-2023, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDGE3 View Post
can't refrain any longer lol

I have always installed my automatics, and muncie's, on jackstands via sliding the trans under the car, then lifting it onto the jack with wood, up and in. i'm 62, grew up doing it that way as did everyone I knew. never had a problem not did I think a thing about it. still do it that way.

modern society says you need a lift, trans jack, gloves, led lights, helpers, and some bon bons and coffee while discussing how to do it.
It's a lot more fun if you get to spend more $, play with circular saws, build something useful, and find a good excuse to buy a new jack!

Old 11-24-2023, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
I guess it’s all in what way you feel comfortable in doing it. I think he did a PHENOMENAL job in building jack cribs.
Fixed it for you!

Old 11-24-2023, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletpruf View Post
Fixed it for you!
Auh I can’t stop laughing LOL.

The Following User Says Thank You to Gach For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2023, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those Daytonas are really good jacks. Couple of pumps. Better then the Sears one I had for years.

Old 11-24-2023, 11:31 PM

I try to use a stack of these small pallets I have a collection of whenever I’m working under the car with the wheels on.

Here I was degreasing the underside of the floor pans with full-strength Simple Green and an old car wash mitt before pulling the car into the garage for drivetrain replacement. Messy job that revealed some nicely preserved factory semigloss black paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	825643C1-B057-4A63-BC59-B6605A447242.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	623728  

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2023, 12:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
I try to use a stack of these small pallets I have a collection of whenever I’m working under the car with the wheels on.

Here I was degreasing the underside of the floor pans with full-strength Simple Green and an old car wash mitt before pulling the car into the garage for drivetrain replacement. Messy job that revealed some nicely preserved factory semigloss black paint.
You realize that your last comment really hurts the folks in the rust belt, right? They'd be lucky to see well-preserved factory semigloss paint on anything more than 5 years old...

Old 11-25-2023, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletpruf View Post
You realize that your last comment really hurts the folks in the rust belt, right? They'd be lucky to see well-preserved factory semigloss paint on anything more than 5 years old...
Anyone living in the rust belt would be wise to go shopping for their next classic car here in the southwest. A couple thousand dollars spent to transport a car purchased in a dry state is one heckuva lot cheaper than replacing the lower half of a locally purchased car’s sheet metal and likely the frame as well.

I’m a So Cal native, we often pass on rusted cars that folks in the rust belt would consider cherry. The perfect weather trumps everything, we never put our cars away for the winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AEA67922-F71D-4577-9B1E-A30A683482A1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	623731   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC7F74D5-DB8A-4E72-8BDD-3F6BB2E0419C.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	623732   Click image for larger version

Name:	4F660AB3-3A09-4307-8709-CCC1D0D4B96D.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	623733   Click image for larger version

Name:	942A6899-9AF8-44BC-90C3-4BC1EC6D9B6D.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	623734  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Anyone living in the rust belt would be wise to go shopping for their next classic car here in the southwest. A couple thousand dollars spent to transport a car purchased in a dry state is one heckuva lot cheaper than replacing the lower half of a locally purchased car’s sheet metal and likely the frame as well.

I’m a So Cal native, we often pass on rusted cars that folks in the rust belt would consider cherry. The perfect weather trumps everything, we never put our cars away for the winter.
Damn, that looks nice.

Old 11-25-2023, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulas View Post
The last time i did a TH400 install on the ground i used 4 jack stands my taller ones under the front frame horns shorter ones under rear axle tubes (quality stands) and i snugged my floor jack under the front cross member,

my exhaust was still in and i used motorcycle straps up over the exhaust to frame holes on both sides, alternate tightening straps to raise the trans in place had to rotate trans to get ears over exhaust, once straps are played out the final trans push home was minimal

having lifts and trans jacks make it easier but in the grand scheme its a short amount of time
Never thought of doing it that way! That's ingenious.

Old 11-25-2023, 11:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 10 Tonners'

now being older and more tuned in to "self preservation" I have moved to these overkill 10 ton stands. super strong (and heavy). I have the high height that I used to do my entire restoration. now that made me wish I had a lift yes. that said, those pics of failed lifts with classic cars falling off or severely listing portside is not something I want to visit.

I also have 4 of the 10 ton low height I use a lot. medium is available to. won't hesitate to get those should the need arise.

example of bon bon dude contemplating if wanting to get dirty hands.

Last edited by JUDGE3; 12-20-2023 at 10:51 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JUDGE3 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2023, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDGE3 View Post
now being older and more tuned in to "self preservation" I have moved to these overkill 10 ton stands. super strong (and heavy). I have the high height that I used to do my entire restoration. now that made me wish I had a lift yes. that said, those pics of failed lifts with classic cars falling off or severely listing portside is not something I want to visit.

I also have 4 of the 10 ton low height I use a lot. medium is available to. won't hesitate to get those should the need arise.

example of bon bon dude contemplating if wanting to get dirty hands.
Those look nice. What brand name and/or where did you get them?

Thanks

Old 11-25-2023, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

sunnex brand

got mine from acme tools. available lots of places though.

The Following User Says Thank You to JUDGE3 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2023, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ended up shooting a video of the cribbing construction and getting the car up onto the cribbing. Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R2W3CocHhU

Old 11-25-2023, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice Video Bulletproof !!

The Following User Says Thank You to Gach For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2023, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
Nice Video Bulletproof !!
Thanks!

Old 11-25-2023, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior