Old 06-24-2002, 11:46 AM

Location: Somewhere between Lynn, MA (home) and Lakeland, FL (school)

Hey guys. I'm a newbie to pontiac engines. I'm planning on building an engine to drop into a 79 Trans Am.

I'd prefer to do a 400, but i'm not familiar with pontiac engines at all, i was thinking of doing a 350 instead.

I'd like to hear peoples opinions on which is better, the 350 or the 400 (perhaps i'll get a slightly biased answer on this forum, hehe) and any reasoning there is behind that.

Also, i'd like to hear about the technical differences between the two engines. I know that pontiac v8s' distributors are wired the reverse direction of a chevy, but that's about it. What else is different

Thanks guys...

Currently Have: 1985 Trans Am LG4 / 5 Speed
Want to get: 79-81 Trans Am w/no engine
Want to build: Pontiac 400 to put in the affore mentioned vehicle.

http://www.wadewilliams.com
Old 06-24-2002, 11:46 AM

Location: Somewhere between Lynn, MA (home) and Lakeland, FL (school)

Hey guys. I'm a newbie to pontiac engines. I'm planning on building an engine to drop into a 79 Trans Am.

I'd prefer to do a 400, but i'm not familiar with pontiac engines at all, i was thinking of doing a 350 instead.

I'd like to hear peoples opinions on which is better, the 350 or the 400 (perhaps i'll get a slightly biased answer on this forum, hehe) and any reasoning there is behind that.

Also, i'd like to hear about the technical differences between the two engines. I know that pontiac v8s' distributors are wired the reverse direction of a chevy, but that's about it. What else is different

Thanks guys...

Currently Have: 1985 Trans Am LG4 / 5 Speed
Want to get: 79-81 Trans Am w/no engine
Want to build: Pontiac 400 to put in the affore mentioned vehicle.

http://www.wadewilliams.com
Old 06-25-2002, 01:26 AM

Build a Pontiac 400. Why? Torque. Besides, A chevy 350 might be easier to find parts for but who wants something other that a Pontiac in their Pontiac? I'm no engine expert but the difference in bore and especially stroke means that a 400 will produce lots more low end torque. The 350 might have better mid to top end power for the same basic setup. If not a 400, go with a 455!
just my $.02

Old 06-27-2002, 01:20 AM

Biased Opinion? I don't think I can respond without giving you one. It's really simple, if you bought your T/A because you got a half-a-stiffy looking at it, then put a 400 in it. If you really don't care, sell the car and buy a camaro with a 350.

In the musclecar hobby, Pontiac guys are the minority. You'll always have someone telling you that you have to put a Chebby engine in your car to make it run. People who tell you this are flat out ignorant to the amount of HP that a Pontiac can make, even on a budget. Even I believed it until I met the right group of people who know how to make a Pontiac scream!

I can't begin to tell you how many people I spanked with my poncho and to see the look on their face when I pop the hood is priceless. You've come to the right board for advice. Ask as many questions as you like and there will be lots of answers. Good luck with you project, hopefully you'll stay PONTIAC!

Old 07-13-2002, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Look at this logically. It came with a Pontiac engine, didn't it? It was designed for it so it would enhance the value to replace it with what the factory intended. Besides, the Pontiac 400 with a mild build will run circles arount a chevy 350 with a mild build. You need that extra torque for the TA because it is a heavy car. Trust me, you can't go wrong with the 400.