Old 05-02-2002, 09:51 PM

I have about a bazillion questions regarding the correctness of different things for my '74 Trans Am. Here are two for now.

According to the PHS info on my car, my car was originally optioned with the "Roof drip moldings". Were these moldings stainless steel, or were they the plastic(mylar?) style? I was told only '74 cars with a vinyl top had the stainless moldings. My brother has an original '74 Z28(sorry about the Chevy reference!), and his car has the stainless moldings, although it is NOT a vinyl top car. Which ones are CORRECT? I do have the decor trim package too.

And second, which trunk mat is CORRECT for a '74? The houndstooth pattern mat that is kind of a fiber type, jute pad? Or were they vinyl? Thanks for all of your help. Many more '74 Trans Am specific questions to come! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-02-2002, 09:51 PM

I have about a bazillion questions regarding the correctness of different things for my '74 Trans Am. Here are two for now.

According to the PHS info on my car, my car was originally optioned with the "Roof drip moldings". Were these moldings stainless steel, or were they the plastic(mylar?) style? I was told only '74 cars with a vinyl top had the stainless moldings. My brother has an original '74 Z28(sorry about the Chevy reference!), and his car has the stainless moldings, although it is NOT a vinyl top car. Which ones are CORRECT? I do have the decor trim package too.

And second, which trunk mat is CORRECT for a '74? The houndstooth pattern mat that is kind of a fiber type, jute pad? Or were they vinyl? Thanks for all of your help. Many more '74 Trans Am specific questions to come! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-02-2002, 10:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Well the roof trim was the plastic type unless you had the chrome trim option. It also went around the the hood (by the windshield).

The trunk... Not sure. Sorry.

Old 05-02-2002, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with Dave on the moldings. Ames(and I'm sure PY) has the correct repro 74-78 matting. It's the black/aqua kind with the jute padding. The original was a little darker but these are an acceptable replacement.

Technically, trunk mat was an option unless you have custom interior. I feel the trunk doesn't look correct(maybe incomplete is a better word) without it though.

Old 05-03-2002, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What Rocky and Dave said. I bought my trunk mat from Classic Industries (my mistake) and the color is off a bit more than those I've seen from folks like Peformance Years. Just an FYI.

Old 05-04-2002, 11:29 AM

According to my parts manual all roof drip moldings for F body 1970-1975 with and without cordova top and trim option should have plastic type molding. Grp# 12.075 part# 1652948/1652949.

Old 05-04-2002, 08:52 PM

what david said is right.have 71 and 74 with chrome option.chrome around window,top of door,acrross hood.no plastic.