EFI Tech All things EFI and making classics modern!

Old 12-03-2005, 12:55 PM

Default which efi intake?

Looking at ordering an intake for my 461 twin turbo project. Plan is to get it running NA then put the turbo stuff on. My problem now is which intake should I go with. Edelbrock has the Victor or the Super Victor. I don't plan on turning this thing over 5800 which would tell me to use the Victor. The catalog shows it can only use Pico style injectors where the other can use any type. I don't want to be limited when it's time to buy injectors for the turbo deal (800 to 1000 hp). Am I going in the right direction by ordering the Super Victor even though I won't turn it that high?

Old 12-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tomahawk!

Old 12-03-2005, 05:23 PM

do they offer a efi intake?

Old 12-03-2005, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

contact Ken at Pacific performance

Old 12-03-2005, 05:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have researched this thing almost to death.

Tomahawk, Victor, Super Victor, Torker II...it all depends on hood clearance, heads, power, basically your combo.

The short story is, if you need to keep your installed height low, the Tomahawk is the easy answer. You can have it drilled do size for the injectors, or have bungs welded or epoxied in place, and the injectors fit into the bungs.

The Victor series, as far as I know...and I was told by e-brock last month at SEMA, that the Pico injectors are different only in their height, so there shouldn't be an issue.

What you need to know is the throttle body you plan to run. If you are needing/wanting serious CFM, then the Super Victor w/ the Dominator base will suffice.

Only drawback to an oversized throttle body is in throttle sensitivity. Low speed driveability and idle characteristics are not effected by this at all. These two characterisitics are effective mostly by injector sizing, tune, fuel pressure (which should be under the "tune" criteria), and ecu.

Also, make sure the intake ports are properly matched to the heads.

There are a few people here who have done this...I personally am gathering all the parts, building an ecu and ignition system (using Ford EDIS), but have not yet installed it.

Good luck,

Karch

Old 12-04-2005, 03:04 PM

Thanks for the input, the tomahawk would end up costing the same or more by the time I modified it for the injectors. hood clearance isn't a problem and HP will be up there with the turbo's so going with the Super Victor sounds like the best option for now.

Old 12-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If under consideration, and for those not aware, the Tomahawk intake as cast has quite small port openings. Something to consider with the excellent comment amount properly matching the intake to the heads. They can take quite a bit of work to open them up in some instances.

( No issues with the typical standard RAIV size gaskets (about 2.220) or the taller SCE 128103 (2.320) gasket, but those with aftermarket alum heads with the taller ports have potential issues (welding) to work with )

Old 12-04-2005, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another thing to look at between the Torker II(Victor EFI) and the Tomahawk is the plenum size and runner length. Torker II has a bigger plenum and longer runners. On dynouing similar manifoleds with a carb my motor was pretty similar in HP and torque though, depending on combination it may affect it.

Old 12-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via Yahoo to LeMans70Sport

Another issue with using the Pico injectors is finding connectors. Most salvage yards wont let you cut up a harness so you end up having to pay for a complete engine wire harness. I've only found one source for buying connectors and they wanted $27/per. If anyone has a source for connectors that is more reasonable let me know. I used brackets that moved the fuel rail up so I can use normal size injectors and connectors. I then found I did not have enough room for my air valve to fit between the rails and ended up using a 2" spacer. I suspect the air valve I'm using is wider than most so this may not be an issue using another air valve. Also, I'm using an Edelbrock Torquer II and the injectors are slightly angled. If you modified your own, the rails would probably be 90 degrees to the air valve.
There are OEM injectors that you can use as well. I bought a set from a yard for $60 that went on a 2002 Chevy Silverado 6.0L. They are supposed to flow 60 lbs/hr. I haven't installed them yet because I haven't found any connectors and I'm not paying $220 for them. Just Google "pico fuel injectors" for more sources of OEM injectors.
Steve

Old 12-05-2005, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For a twin turbo app i'd probably go with a Victor or a sheet intake. Something with larger runner volume.

Old 12-05-2005, 07:27 PM

Thanks for the help, I thought getting a Pico style injector with the capacity I need would be hard. Going to go with the Super Victor for now. Thought about building a sheetmetal one and still might do that later.

Old 12-05-2005, 11:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default injectors

FYI:

Ford Lightnings, 2nd gen, use 42# injectors, Bosch style, which are good for at least 540 HP NA.

These can be purchased for under $300/set new.

Old 12-06-2005, 12:27 AM
Senior Chief

I think that once you get a taste of twin turbo 455 power you'll be looking at ported heads and 6500 rpm. At least that's what happened to me.

The power you're talking about, 800 - 1000 hp will require some good heads. Mine flow about 270 cfm at .500" lift and they're good for about 1000 hp.

After Jim Butler got through porting my heads the only manifold I could use was a Victor (Super Victor EFI). The Victor EFI (Torker II) has port openings that are too small.

FYI - I use 95 lb/hr injectors. My old 75 lb/hr injectors topped out at about 800 hp. When you select injectors keep in mind that the BSFC of a turbo engine is around .55 to .60 lb/hr hp.

Old 12-06-2005, 02:50 PM

455turbo, was hoping you would check in. Your car is the reason for this madness, my wife said to tell you "thanks"! My deal looks like it'll be twin 60-1 with the .96 a/r, the 95 lbs injector will be on my list now also. Heads are Edelbrocks ported by Kaufman, I think they were 320 intake and 270 exhaust at .700. I don't remember the numbers for lower lift but they are a good set of heads. I'm concerned about compression also, looks like I can get down to around 8.7 to 1 with my current parts. To get anything lower is probly gonna cost me a set of dished pistons. I'm torn between the FAST set up or Accel gen 7. If I go with fast, can I get a program from you to use as a base? That might swing me toward them. Wish I could justify the cost and just buy the exhaust from you but I have a friend that works at a well known high end exhaust company. He can have his people weld it up for me after I fit everthing. I had a few other questions concerning your efi set up. Can I e-mail you or should we start a new thread here? Thanks for the input!

Last edited by jjump59; 12-06-2005 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What confusing titles. The "Victor" is not the Victor. The Super Victor is the Victor that the "Victor" is not.

Did I get that right?

Old 12-06-2005, 09:35 PM
Senior Chief

jjump59 - It sounds like you'll have the same setup as me but with better flowing heads. It should be killer.

I have no problem sending you the setup files from my FAST fuel injection. They would save you a lot of trouble. There may be a problem though since I have the old FAST system not their latest one. I don't know if they use the same files.

As for your other EFI questions how about starting a new thread. Other people may have some info too. You can still email me if you want to.

Tell your wife she's welcome!

Junkyard Dog - Yup, you got it!