Old 03-26-2019, 02:05 PM

Default Champion Rad

Hey all-

Also currently looking for a rad for my 70 GTO rag top. Been running a 4 core with an external trans cooler. New motor maybe 425 HP and 500 TQ and I do not believe I need the external trans cooler any longer.

Perfectly good rad but it is not have an internal trans cooler. So I have the lines run around the rad to the external trans cooler. Recently bought factory lines from Inline Tube and now I want it to look factory (the lines fit well)

Cold Case appears to be a great product but has anyone spent $244 delivered for a Champion Radiator? I know they are Chinese made but know guys that have used them for years with no issues and great cooling. wondering if anyone has used one here to let me know if they fit properly with the factory plastic shroud/rubber bumpers for a 70 GTO.

Thanks Sam

Old 03-26-2019, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There's a recent thread in depth on this.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have used a couple of champion radiators no problems with fit I was skeptical of them being Chinese but just put one in a 62 Catalina fit perfectly . Also used in gto 65 to 71 no problem

Old 03-26-2019, 10:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just today I installed the factory type auto cooler lines into the new Cold Case radiator. Both lines almost fell into place and look great over the removed external cooler and rubber hoses.
Can't speak to Champion radiators but bought the Cold Case from Summit with free delivery and no tax with lower price than direct from our host.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am running a Champion 4 row in both my cars (67 FB, 72 Lemans). The 72 Lemans is applicable to you. The 4 row is too thick to fit with the factory rubber isolators. You would need to cut them. I suspect the 3 row would fit fine, but I can't say for sure.

My 67 FB fit wasn't perfect either. I had to fill in about a 3/4 gap at the bottom of the shroud.

I haven't had any leaks, and they cool fine. Only thing I can say is that the 4 rows aren't a pure bolt in fit for a totally stock application. You might have better luck with a Cold Case being a direct fit.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:10 AM

Thank you guys for the responses, super helpful in making this decision!
Sam