Old 10-03-2022, 02:19 PM

Default 1972 trunk floor pan replacement

After searching and only finding posts that were a decade old I am posting this hoping for more current information.

I need to replace the bottom of the floor pan in my Firebird. The PO had the spare tire sitting on a piece of carpet and it rusted out.

Are there any repop pans brands that I should avoid?

I don't need to do the full floor replacement.

It appears that Camaro floors will also work or am I mistaken?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-03-2022, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As for the Camaro pans being the same, yes. No diffs.

Old 10-03-2022, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

AMD usually has the best metal, BUT some is same as other resellers. This you tell on their website.
When I do one, I use the eastwood buttweld clamps that leave a tiny gap which I stich weld, tiny section at a time.
Then clean grind, use real wax and grease remover and then epoxy, both sides. Any tiny amount of filler is done on top of the epoxy, then more epoxy to seal it. Scuff and just hope your Zolatone comes out right when you spray it.

Old 10-05-2022, 04:03 PM

Thank you for the responses.

Old 10-07-2022, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Depending on how much of the panel you are replacing, just be aware that it may be necessary to cut that new trunk pan in half to fit it into your trunk. Well it was for mine anyway so I ended up cutting 1/3 of the panel right over where the spot welds attach to the gas tank support since I had to do welding there anyway to reattach the trunk pan to the gas tank support.

That was my first attempt at sheet metal replacement and it went fairly well but there may be an easier way to do it. Based on your signature, you will figure it out. Most difficult part for me was squeezing my ass in the trunk to actually reach some of the areas you are going to need to weld. You are going to get very intimate with your welder.

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.
Old 10-12-2022, 04:41 PM

Thank you for the additional information.

I can't wait to try and fold myself into the generous confines of an F-body trunk.