Old 01-31-2023, 01:24 PM
Senior Chief

Default Order of Reassembly

My 77 Trans Am is in many pieces. It's time to put it back together. I've reassembled enough cars in my life to know that if I do things in the wrong order, I'll end up either struggling mightily or having to redo a bunch of work multiple times. So, for those with more experience than I with these cars, what order should I be tackling things?

For reference, what I have assembled right now are:

- front body (subframe, core support, fenders, spoilers, bumper, headlights)
- rear body (trunk, taillights, bumper)
- door shells attached to car
- wiper motor

That's it. Everything else is apart. Engine, transmission, front suspension, steering, brakes, rear end, rear suspension, interior, etc, etc, etc. The car has AC so I have that entire OEM evaporator and heater core contraption to put back together, both underhood and in the car. I have the front body wire harness done, and most of the rear body wire harness. Now I'm struggling to figure out what to tackle next. Climate control box and interior wire harness?

Oh and I still need to drop the fuel tank to swap out the sender and replace all the fuel lines... I guess that's a thing I could do first.

Old 01-31-2023, 05:09 PM
Senior Chief

Oh and all the glass is in already

Old 02-11-2023, 11:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably too much to tell for anyone to want to type it all out.
But you will be fine.

Only thing I can think about right off is after you get the HVAC mounted back inside the car , get the carpet and kick panels in next. Before you start installing the dash.

Factory had the dashes prebuilt and prewired with fuse box included with it.

Take your time and try to have fun.
Reward yourself whenever you can for doing good work , nobody else will .

Old 02-11-2023, 11:30 PM
Senior Chief

LOL! I've already made a few mistakes and had to backtrack. Also came across instances of parts that need replacing, like the AC door vacuum actuator that had one vacuum tube rusted out bad enough so it broke off, so now I'm stalled again until a new one arrives. I don't get as much time as I'd like to work on this.