Old 02-19-2023, 03:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Please identify open connectors and locations under dash

I am getting ready to install dash and ducting and need help to identify connectors and light locations.
Attached are photos of missing connections, loose wiring and light holders.

Can you help to identify:
Where these connectors go?
I believe the Orange and Black wire connector goes to the cigar lighter - is that correct?
What do the individual labeled wires control?
In the photo the lone gray connector is a Pink/Black wire - labeled pink in the photo.
Where does the cut red wire go?
Where do the Gray light sockets get mounted on both passenger and driver side under the dash and what direction do they point?
Where does the push button switch get mounted and what does it control - I believe it is the glove box light switch but I am not seeing the glove box light socket anywhere that I believe it controls.

Also third photo is of braces under the dash that were not on my dash when removed. I had no mounting bolts near the steering column when I removed the dash.
What is the proper configuration for any bracing and what am I missing.

Thanks All for your input
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	open connectors 2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	607501   Click image for larger version

Name:	under dash light switch.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	607502   Click image for larger version

Name:	steering column bracket missing.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	607503  

Old 02-19-2023, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The bracket you have circled adds stability to the molded dash assembly, but most critically, the piece completes a ground. Without the stamped steel brace, just look at your factory gauges after you start the car. Just something I learned on first T/A over 40 years ago.

Old 02-19-2023, 11:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
The bracket you have circled adds stability to the molded dash assembly, but most critically, the piece completes a ground. Without the stamped steel brace, just look at your factory gauges after you start the car. Just something I learned on first T/A over 40 years ago.
Thank you for the grounding info - it makes perfect sense and obviously the reason why I had to add a ground wire to the gauge cluster a while back. I grounded them by a separate wire to the steering column bolts.
Any knowledge on the wire and connector ID?

Old 02-20-2023, 05:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Orange and Black wire connector goes to volt gauge. Any help with the others?

Old 02-20-2023, 12:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

After looking at detailed schematics I am answering some of my own questions - looks like the light green wire connectors are associated with rear window defog switch and relay. So no issue there - I can disregard.
On the schematic, I cant find the connector with the black, white, gray, Pink into pink connectors - still need help with that if anyone is listening.
Thank you.

Old 02-20-2023, 08:22 PM
Suspended

'79 TA? Had to scroll back 15 posts before mention of your car.

You already copied a photo from the same link that shows where the glovebox lamp/button goes. The glovebox lamp is in the button body itself, what's that giant orange wire shoved in it? I'm not familiar with the button type your photo shows from that angle.

https://www.hitmantransam.com/Pages/...hremove018.jpg

Firebird Courtesy lights glovebox Trunk light harness by Ben, on Flickr

Firebird glovebox lamp switch bezel mount (2) by Ben, on Flickr

That's where the bulb goes.

Firebird glovebox lamp switch bezel mount (1) by Ben, on Flickr

Last edited by Trevor78; 02-20-2023 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-21-2023, 02:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Trevor78,
Sorry for the lack of info on the year of car, I thought I had put the description of the car in the thread title as I normally do. I appreciate you taking the time in looking back to find out. Thanks for the info on the glovebox light - I had an idea where the switch was mounted but I had no idea that the socket was on the button - Thank you.
Are there also photos of the under dash light socket locations?

Old 02-21-2023, 03:43 PM
Suspended

I can take a few better pics of the harness if needed, have a few here. Just have to check if yours is the same as looks a little different.

Old 02-21-2023, 05:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Look at your elec schematic, it’ll show all.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 02-22-2023, 12:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Guys,

Harnesses are the same - just a different color socket for the bulb on the glovebox light- sidelight harness is the same.

I have an extensive schematic for a 78 and a supplement for a 79 and I cant find any connector that has a pink/black, gray, white, and black that all come together.

If color codes are consistent, pink/black should be 12volt ignition supply from fuse block, gray should be lights, black should be ground and white is unknown.

I believe that unknown connectors are radio related as my stock radio was replaced by an aftermarket radio where the harness was pretty hacked to install.

Just hoping someone out there recognized the connector and its purpose.

I will check the schematic again.

Thanks

Old 02-22-2023, 05:49 PM

I have the 78 schematics. The radio connector has a yellow, black and gray wire. Meaning what looks like a white wire may be a yellow wire that has faded. The pink wire connector, coming off the radio connector, is for a power attenna, if installed.

The 78 wiring diagram does not show that power antenna (pink wire).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wheels For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 03:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Wheels,
That makes more sense. After looking at both schematics I have - the 78 and supplement for 79, I can find the radio on both that show yellow, black and gray. Neither schematic shows a power antenna or a power antenna circuit. It makes sense that the pink wire would go to a secondary connector to attach to a power antenna harness.
Thank you.