The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 01-01-2023, 02:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 74 owners - seat belt no crank?

Hello,

body shop forum that says it's for "general questions that don't fit into other forums" so I'll drop this here.

I was just going through my 74 TSB and came across this bulletin. I've had a 74 Cat, and it definitely didn't not start without the front seatbelts engaged.

Was this some safety plan that never actually took affect? I'm sure there was quite a lot of push back on forced seat belt use back then.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TSB74i9a.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	604356  

Old 01-03-2023, 01:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There is another thread about this somewhere - yes, a '74 only controversial option for sure that owners quickly "fixed"

Old 01-03-2023, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto4evr View Post
Hello,

body shop forum that says it's for "general questions that don't fit into other forums" so I'll drop this here.

I was just going through my 74 TSB and came across this bulletin. I've had a 74 Cat, and it definitely didn't not start without the front seatbelts engaged.

Was this some safety plan that never actually took affect? I'm sure there was quite a lot of push back on forced seat belt use back then.
It was a safety plan that did take effect.

My '74 Chevelle had the seat belt lock system, and came with a module underhood with a button for an override.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2023, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

interesting. my 74 cat must have had the snip and twist treatment long before I got it. thanks for the knowledge update!

Old 01-03-2023, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was working at a new car dealer at the time. The new cars came through with Seat Belt Interlock. There was such an out cry from drivers that part way through the year we were allowed to by pass the system. In emergency situations people were panicking and couldn't get their cars started. FYI there was a button in the engine compartment that could be pushed to by pass the system.

Old 01-07-2023, 03:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My mother bought her first new car when I was 16. It was a 1974 Chevy Monte Carlo and it had that deal where you couldn't start the car unless the seat belt was buckled. I used to buckle it behind me it and sit on it...lol

Old 01-07-2023, 06:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A stupid safety measure, that was so stupid GM reversed course by the next year.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 01-07-2023, 06:47 PM
Senior Chief

I wonder if this measure was a governmental standard across the board in ‘74. I haven’t started working on it yet but our ‘74 ‘Cuda has the seat belt interlock deal with an under the hood mounted override. Was the interlock/disable eventually just downgraded to the annoying buzzer or repetitive chime we have today?

Old 01-07-2023, 07:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 01-12-2023, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I will add. Since I worked on these at my Dealership a few times.
They had a SEAT switch, as well as a seat belt Switch.
We had what they called a "clean bag" in the parts room which was a sand bag, in another plastic bag, and in a clean pillow case. We would connect the seat belts and put this bag on the seat to be able to start automatic cars by just reaching in.
If you had a 4 speed, those two items were also tied into the clutch pedal And reverse lock out.
This involved a module on the firewall, and about 60 feet of wire..
At the dealer, if the car was still under its 5 year warranty, " no touchie" was the word.
I pulled out a huge mess from a Firebird couple years ago.

Old 02-23-2023, 03:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My 75 FB had an irritating continuous buzzer if the seat belt was not attached with the engine running.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ