The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 02-05-2023, 10:43 PM

Default Rusty interior trim cleanup and single stage?

My recent 66 Catalina purchase has seen some moisture on the inside and has some surface rust on the interior metal trim pieces...some worse than others. I am fairly green in the auto restoration world, but I am capable of learning it. I originally wanted to have someone soda blast the trim, just because I figured all of the little sharp bends of it could be hard to hand sand out? I attached a picture for reference...I would say this is a "bad" piece. Some pieces just have a few dots of rust.

I also have my own blaster and wasn't sure if anyone has used certain medias that have worked? Or maybe good ol' fashioned hand sanding is just what I should do. I'm not opposed.

Lastly, could I get by with just some single stage color match paint (reef turquoise) since it's interior and won't be exposed to the elements. This won't be a full restoration because the outside is a patina car. Just looking to freshen the inside up since I'm putting new carpet and seats in it. New guy to the forum and appreciate any feedback. I've been using the search option and reading all I can. Thanks a lot!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trim picture .jpg
Views:	226
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	606725  

The Following User Says Thank You to kpbrown31 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2023, 11:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've seen this photo before. Dunno. Looks promising.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...hnique.876119/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5122.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	606728  

Old 02-05-2023, 11:18 PM

Welcome! I guess if this were mine, and considering your intensions, owning my own blasting cabinet, I'd use glass bead media as opposed to hand sanding because sanding won't get into the deeper pits of the corrosion like blasting would accomplish. Then it looks like this particular piece at least may require a few coats of primer to fill in the micro pits left behind from the blasting, then hand sand the primer to a smooth finish. Then, at least for me, single stage paint would be fine and last a long, long time if not subjected directly to outside weather conditions.

Old 02-05-2023, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
I've seen this photo before. Dunno. Looks promising.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...hnique.876119/
Interesting. Yeah, unfortunately there is some rust that is a little deeper and will require something more than just cleaning surface rust. But CLR is something I've considered for cleaning parts of the car up. I'd be curious to see what that photo looks like if the CLR were to be washed back off and given time to dry.

Old 02-05-2023, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 433lemans View Post
Welcome! I guess if this were mine, and considering your intensions, owning my own blasting cabinet, I'd use glass bead media as opposed to hand sanding because sanding won't get into the deeper pits of the corrosion like blasting would accomplish. Then it looks like this particular piece at least may require a few coats of primer to fill in the micro pits left behind from the blasting, then hand sand the primer to a smooth finish. Then, at least for me, single stage paint would be fine and last a long, long time if not subjected directly to outside weather conditions.
Yeah, I was thinking single stage would just be the easiest and suffice for the current time. I've found a place or two on online that sell single stage color match paint, but I wasn't sure if most places matched old paint codes if it wasn't in a traditional base coat where I'd have to clear over it. Maybe I'll check a local Napa or O'Reilly's as well. If not, I've seen people on here preferring to go through Chad (can't remember the exact website he hosts).

Old 02-06-2023, 11:39 AM

I've used CLR in the past to soak bolts, nuts, small parts etc. and it did a great job of removing rust, given plenty of soaking time. However, I bought some not too long ago and it seems to me like it's not the same strength as it used to be.

Old 02-06-2023, 06:43 PM
Senior Chief

I agree with 433 lemans. I sand blasted my dash on 63 Bonne. and primed & painted.

Old 02-06-2023, 10:00 PM

I used these folks for interior paint:

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/to...66/all-models/

They will mix you up single stage upon request, that's what I used.

They will sell you paint in cans or spray cans. I painted all my hard interior parts with spray cans from these folks. The match is very good.

James Q

1963 Bonneville Safari - Nocturne Blue, 4-speed
Old 02-06-2023, 11:04 PM

I actually ended up going down today to a local auto body supply shop and they mixed me up a quart of Nason brand single stage. I've seen some guys on here state that they like it as a product. The guy said I wouldn't really need to add any hardener to it since I'm just using it on the interior stuff? I'm not much of a painter, but would you recommend still adding hardener to it?

Old 02-06-2023, 11:27 PM

I wouldn't add the hardener myself. I don't see the need either.
One other thing to consider, and I could be wrong but once you add the hardener, whatever you have left over in that mix will setup and be unusable again, so what's left of the mix will be waste (unless formulas have changed since I was in that line of work which was admittedly quite a while ago).

Last edited by 433lemans; 02-06-2023 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:32 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a try without hardener and see what happens. I'm sure it will be fine for my project.

Old 02-08-2023, 05:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesq View Post
I used these folks for interior paint:

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/to...66/all-models/

They will mix you up single stage upon request, that's what I used.

They will sell you paint in cans or spray cans. I painted all my hard interior parts with spray cans from these folks. The match is very good.

James Q
I used them for my interior stuff as well, spray cans. Came out nice!

Old 02-09-2023, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would say once primed, rather than sand, use scotch bright pad to break your surface. It'll get not only the high spots only sandpaper would get, but it'll reach down below the raised surfaces just sand paper can't reach. I'm looking at your surfaces as being that bumpy, wrinkle finish and not smooth.

Old 03-22-2023, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary bennett View Post
I agree with 433 lemans. I sand blasted my dash on 63 Bonne. and primed & painted.
Did you just grind the welds to get your dash out? I need to do the same on mine, but I wasn’t under the impression any of the old metal dash’s in GM cars/trucks were removable.

Old 03-24-2023, 12:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbrown31 View Post
I actually ended up going down today to a local auto body supply shop and they mixed me up a quart of Nason brand single stage. I've seen some guys on here state that they like it as a product. The guy said I wouldn't really need to add any hardener to it since I'm just using it on the interior stuff? I'm not much of a painter, but would you recommend still adding hardener to it?
Put the Hardner in it....if you want it to last. ...and protect it from the UV rays

Plus if you get a boogah in it...you can sand and buff it.