The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 03-14-2023, 02:11 PM

Default Anyone buy a '67 GTO rear bumper recently? Got a good source?

In 2016 I bought a rear bumper for my prior '67 GTO and it fit horribly. It was basically flat whereas it's supposed to have a mild rearward peak in the center. I can't find the receipt so I don't recall who I bought it from.

I need one for my new project. If you've purchased a reproduction rear bumper recently for a '67 and the fit and chrome were decent, where did you get it from?

I do not have a core for replating.

Old 03-21-2023, 10:03 PM

I believe Auto Metal direct makes their own bumpers, I can't comment on the quality, but I hear good things about their other sheet metal they produce. They are having a sale on bumpers right now. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

*https://www.autometaldirect.com/bump...o-p-18871.html

Old 03-22-2023, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With the cost of replating i often wonder the best option.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 03-22-2023, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsboy20 View Post
I believe Auto Metal direct makes their own bumpers, I can't comment on the quality, but I hear good things about their other sheet metal they produce. They are having a sale on bumpers right now. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

*https://www.autometaldirect.com/bump...o-p-18871.html
Yeah I'm looking at that since I live 30 minutes from there.

Old 03-22-2023, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't believe for a minute that AMD spent the bucks to make their own dies for a current production Pontiac bumper. The dies for the reproduction '67 rear bumper were first mfg near 20 years ago by one entity. Have dealt with two individuals that have been to Taiwan in the production facilities & they both shared with me what they saw. On quite a few reproduction panels, an initial marketing group went to the expense of having the dies made, initial part test fitting, any revisions, then the part was approved for production, & offered by that marketting group. Years later, in comes another marketting group, & voila, one can buy that specific panel in packaging from the alternative marketer.

My suggestion if you have an ill fitting reproduction '67 GTO rear bumper, remove it & take it with you to AMD facility nearby, & study the contours very closely of it & the new bumper. If the "new" rear bumper is the same as the previous supplied repro, it's time to source a nice used rear bumper core & have it triple plated. 2 years ago, TriCity in far northeastern TN plated several bumpers for myself & another PY member. Very happy with the results.

Old 03-25-2023, 10:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought one from Tamraz (2012)and it is decent. I had an original replated for my current 67 project and it wasn't cheap. I wonder if I did the right thing...

Old 04-17-2023, 12:49 PM

Default Auto Metal Direct

Since I don't live too far from AMD and their '67 GTO rear bumper was on sale, I went and picked one up. Well, two. The first one had a flaw, looked like the substrate was not prepped correctly and the chrome looked rough in one spot. They exchanged it for another, completely hassle-free. The second one had no flaws in the chrome. As I mentioned in my original post, I was concerned about the contour because the repop I bought several years ago was nearly flat side to side, whereas it needs a slight peak in the center. This one fit very well and matched the contour of the tail panel. There is a tab on the top of the right hand backup light hole that needed to be trimmed for the lamp assembly to fit, but all in all I'm happy with it. It does seem a little thinner than what I recall, but that's to be expected.

AMD does not make these, they are from Taiwan. But as a reproduction they are pretty good.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/o1gLJvNDnKsuHDw16
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qaALFrYREVeJ38zm6

Last edited by DogMeister; 04-17-2023 at 12:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DogMeister For This Useful Post: